Thread: Official neopets-like mobile game idea collaboration thread.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 6h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

Official neopets-like mobile game idea collaboration thread.

From my previous thread we were talking about making a similar game to neopets, except for mobile devices. Here are some of the base concepts of the game so far. Looking for additional ideas that might improve the quality of the game.

PLEASE REMEMBER: This game will take at least a 4-6 weeks or concept building and getting everything down and then another 5-6 months of development. It would be a big/fun project to work on that would take some good time spent on it. So i'll be updating this thread or other threads with any progress that is made.

Main concepts:
    ->Competitive restocking (4-5 shops with high competition, predictable restock times so everyone has a chance to compete)
    ->Training a pet (similar to island training with codestones, each course will require 'x' amount of time to complete)
    ->Battle equipment/items (can be obtained through restocking or straight purchase from one main location, like the hidden tower). Battle items will deal damage/block from 3-4 different element types as well as random quantity (i.e.: item deals base damage of 5 icons with potential of another 1-5)
    ->1 player battle to earn points/gold.
    ->2 player battles to earn points/gold? reputation? What else? 2 player battles will be turn based style, just like how neopets is.

Economy style:
    -> Should there be different forms of economies or strictly gold/point based economy? With a strip style, everything will cost gold/points instead of like in Neopets where first you need to buy a codestone from a shop and then redeem it at the island training. Remember, the more different types of economies there are, the more time it will take to develop any sort of game like this.

Economy boost:
    ->How will the user acquire gold/points to be used? In neopets they can play mini games but realistically that will take way too long to create any sort of game with even a handful of fun mini games. At the moment I am thinking each account/user can have some sort of point generator that builds points over time. You can upgrade this generator to gain points faster. 1 player battles and 2 player battles can also give some sort of points for winning. What do you guys think here?

Economy drains:
    ->How will the economy balance itself out. There needs to be a way for users to SPEND their points and the points forever gone into oblivion. At the moment my only ideas could be pet morph changes and color changes. What else can we incorporate here?

Please don't post things like "something fun that the users can do to earn points" as an idea... That is what we are already stating here and looking for some ACTUAL ideas to incorporate.

Looking forward to any ideas you all have, have a nice day everyone.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ItsPeteBrah For This Useful Post:

|2eap (07-18-2016),Birdtail (07-18-2016),genesis (07-20-2016),Ms M. (08-01-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    15d 1h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I think minigames like reskinned versions of Snake or Pong or something could be one way to earn, but also by doing a sort of 'gathering' option where you can get items and things to sell back, I've seen some sites use that method
    You could have a 'premium' currency kind of like neocash but allow it to be traded for the other earnable currency to keep the economy sort of more in check
    Sorry I don't have many good ideas, but this sounds very interesting and I hope it works out great

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    27d 21h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    I love this idea. I hate to be the Debbie downer, but I imagine something like this costs money to create, or run. Are you crowd funding or doing memberships, or?

1. Battling 2 player could have ranks that reset monthly or whatever, for most duals/opponents defeated.
    2. One currency is fine, I'd say!
    3. You could do a couple mini games that are click to play, similar to kacheek seek or guess the card? Weekly or monthly things to do for more points, like "solve the riddle", or a word find?
    4. Spend points on training, extra Stat boosts, pet name changes, "perks" for their account (like one extra training a day for 1 week, for example), bold letters in chat/advertisement boards, etc

That's all I've got to start, need caffeine before I get too wild minded! Lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Birdtail For This Useful Post:

Shizuku (07-18-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    28d 2h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Very interested to see what you do!

For 2-player battles, something players could earn could be reputation (as you stated). Maybe this could be displayed wherever the username is displayed, sort of like reddit (where it shows "Username (8564)" to show Karma). This would give players the incentive to want this number to be as high as possible. +2 for a win, -1 for a loss?

I'd say strictly gold/point based economy. Too many currencies (like codestones/dubloons) makes it harder to develop and harder for new players to understand.

Not sure about the economy boost to be honest, or the economy drain.
    PM me to see what I have up for sale! Always selling UCs/NP/Accounts!
    Offering free PIN cracks to Clraik rank (and higher!), just shoot me a PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    -Make one currency, make it achievable or purchasable.
    -Give out timed RE's to release items that wouldn't otherwise restock (like the codestones you mentioned)
    -Multipurpose RPG. Reputation for being the best battler, the strongest battler. What else? Dress up a pet? Draw a pet? More purposes for the more casual player whos not into restocking/ battling.
    -obv a forum

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

As for point distribution. I feel like exploration, kind of like a hunter gatherer type deal. Can earn the points via the battledome, making a purhcase from a main shop, doing other trivial actions. (if theres a map, explore the areas to find more)

Maybe even have people "mine" for them. Just throwing out some ideas, are there any limits to the capabilities?

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

One last thing, when creating the battle items, focus really hard on the icon distribution. So skill can play more of a part rather than luck of getting more icons that turn than my opp

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to |2eap For This Useful Post:

Birdtail (07-18-2016),Ms M. (08-01-2016),Shizuku (07-18-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    12d 15h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Are you gonna make it like other mobile games that let you can buy coins with real money? Also I think it would be nice to have a neofriend/friend option, and maybe make it possible to battle our friends if we want to.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetness For This Useful Post:

|2eap (07-18-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 6h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdtail View Post
    I love this idea. I hate to be the Debbie downer, but I imagine something like this costs money to create, or run. Are you crowd funding or doing memberships, or?
    I just really enjoy programming as a hobby. I will program most of what I can on my own and seek paid help when I need it. I will also be spending money on the images and game designs for different items/pets... But like I said I just really enjoy doing this and don't mind spending time/money invested in it. Even if it doesn't take off as a game with that many users I will still do it regardless.

I'll take a good month just gathering ideas and mapping out the game logic/processes that will be required.. After that I will probably be able to work on it approx 20 hours a week on my spare time. Im expecting something like this to take around 4/5 months after it's all designed. That depends on various factors like how much I will outsource and do on my own.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ItsPeteBrah For This Useful Post:

Birdtail (07-19-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 6h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    bumped

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    3d 14h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I would say instead of having a few hundred different games like NP has, have like a base game mode to earn currency. I would say have a match-3 type game, but that's a bit overdone. Something similar to that, and have that give you cash or items depending on how well you do. Have the economy/pet raising as the main focus, and the game as a bit of a supplementary thing. You can do the typical "requires stamina" mode for the game mode so that people just don't farm it all day.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 6h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Some good ideas in here so far. I've written down a good list of cool features I think could work well with the app. In about another week or so i'll take a look at what ideas I have and start putting together a rough draft of everything that can be incorporated into the game. Looking forward to this.

In the meantime, if anyone else thinks of an idea or would like to add... Please feel free to do so! I like hearing any and every kind of idea.