23/36
    Mentioned
    3,871 times
    Time Online
    564d 11h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m

Remembering Akira Toriyama

It is with a heavy heart that we come together today to remember and celebrate the life of Akira Toriyama, who has sadly passed away. For many of us in our 20's to late 30's, Toriyama wasn't just a manga artist; he was a pivotal figure who shaped our childhoods, our creativity, and even our outlook on life through his most famous creation, Dragon Ball, along with his other works.

Dragon Ball's impact on our generation cannot be overstated. It was more than just an anime or manga; it was a gateway to a universe where resilience, friendship, and the pursuit of becoming better versions of ourselves were central themes. How has Dragon Ball or any other Toriyama creation influenced you personally or professionally?

Let's share our stories of how Toriyama's work touched our lives. Perhaps it was the endless battles that Goku and his friends faced that taught us persistence in the face of adversity. Or maybe it was the simple yet profound wisdom found in the series that left an indelible mark on our personalities.

Additionally, Toriyama's art style, with its distinctive and vibrant characters, has inspired countless artists around the world. Are there any artists among us who were influenced by Toriyama's work? How has his style guided your artistic journey?

It was his art style that caught my attention back when I was in first grade, which made me want to start drawing.

Beyond Dragon Ball, Toriyama's contributions to the gaming industry, particularly through his character designs for the Dragon Quest series, have also left a lasting legacy. How have these works impacted your gaming experiences?

As we mourn his loss, let's also celebrate the joy, inspiration, and imagination Toriyama brought into our lives. Share your favorite Toriyama moments, whether they're epic battles from Dragon Ball, adventures from Dragon Quest, or any other memories that have stayed with you over the years.

Akira Toriyama may have left us, but his legacy will continue to live on through his creations and the countless lives he has touched. Let's honor his memory by sharing our stories and reflecting on the impact he has had on our generation.

Last edited by j03; 03-08-2024 at 01:33 PM.
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

2. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

Aero (03-09-2024),Alcremie (03-08-2024),Ariealle (03-09-2024),Autobot (03-08-2024),badman2012 (03-10-2024),Buizel (03-08-2024),CadmiumYellow (03-08-2024),Charmander (03-08-2024),DarkSkies (03-08-2024),Fiore (03-09-2024),Hellkittten (03-08-2024),hellraid (03-10-2024),Ice (03-08-2024),infestedvirus (03-08-2024),KJiU (03-08-2024),Masterplayer44 (03-08-2024),Misha (03-08-2024),Onetwo (03-08-2024),Patamon (03-09-2024),Pidgey (03-08-2024),Shawn (3 Weeks Ago),♥ Sneasel ♥ (03-08-2024),♥ SomeClown ♥ (03-09-2024),Squirtle (03-08-2024),Strat (03-08-2024),Synth Salazzle (03-08-2024),Zenitsu (03-08-2024)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    196 times
    Time Online
    76d 11h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    DBZ was my first anime as a little kid in the 90s and I still like it today and still play the budokai games too. Damn this hurts hard.
    rest in peace

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Synth Salazzle For This Useful Post:

Zenitsu (03-08-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    I will have this Vegeta TCG forever, RIP to a legend who paved the way for anime as we know it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Misha For This Useful Post:

Zenitsu (03-08-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    61/0
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    28d 9h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    The first time I got to know Akira was with the game Chrono Trigger.
    Long before I got to know and love Dragon Ball, which only premiered in Germany in 2002.
    It is still one of my favorite video games today.
    Now is the time to get it out of the box again. This playthrough is in your honor, Akira!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneasel For This Useful Post:

Zenitsu (03-08-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    3d 9h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    I wasn't familiar with the name. I looked up the content that Akira Toriyama worked on and I have no doubt that he impacted my life. I loved Dragon Ball and DBZ as a kid and couldn't get enough of it. I've played Dragon quest, Blue Dragon, and Chrono Trigger. As a kid those game were very impactful to me. What a wonderful impact he must have had on people.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onetwo For This Useful Post:

Synth Salazzle (03-08-2024),Zenitsu (03-08-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    74 times
    Time Online
    93d 2h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    This came as an absolute shock tbh. He was working on so many projects still..man, I loved DB, DBZ, DBS, dragon quest, chrono trigger. His art was what inspired me to draw and take art classes. I drew Raditz as my first ever serious drawing, along with King Kai and Goku. Toonami carried me through the bad times growing up and DBZ was always on. I could watch the Frieza saga over and over.

Other manga artists like Oda (One Piece) and Kisimoto (Naruto) definitely made it known they were inspired by his work. All 3 of them are so talented. Toriyama stories focused a lot on redemption..seeing Goku be merciful giving his enemies the mercy to change their ways. It always resonated with me. And even when they didn't. It all told a story.

I'm sad we won't see anymore of his work but hopefully he's chillin' with grandpa Gohan, King Yemma, and the Kai's. I don't have much family but my aunt was like my grandma and she is already checked out and not going to make it through the weekend. Growing up she got my brother and I Pokemon and DBZ cards. This is going to be a rough couple of weeks. Perfect time to re-watch DB as it's my favorite Toriyama work. May these legends rest in peace.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alcremie For This Useful Post:

Zenitsu (03-08-2024)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    196 times
    Time Online
    76d 11h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetwo View Post
    I wasn't familiar with the name. I looked up the content that Akira Toriyama worked on and I have no doubt that he impacted my life. I loved Dragon Ball and DBZ as a kid and couldn't get enough of it. I've played Dragon quest, Blue Dragon, and Chrono Trigger. As a kid those game were very impactful to me. What a wonderful impact he must have had on people.
    YO I didn't know he did chrono trigger, blue dragon, AND dragon quest/dragon warrior before it was renamed to dragon quest
    This dude was a legend to my life in so many ways I didn't even know.
    I still have my GBC copy of dragon warrior 2 monsters even. I'm gonna pick that up again tonight in pure honor of him.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    51/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    13d 14h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Love Dragon Quest...my Nintendo Switch is even the Dragon Quest edition. Dragon Quest series and Golden Sun were my favorite games. RIP

From a recent Tweet:
    "Golden Sun owes its existence to him as co-creator Hiroyuki Takahashi got his start working at Enix on DQ before founding Camelot"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fengeance For This Useful Post:

Zenitsu (03-08-2024)

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    713 times
    Time Online
    356d 5h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 12m
    He really shaped the gaming and anime scene as a whole with DBZ. What cartoon these days haven't done a super sayian parody to shout out to him? Not to mention his influence for DQ, Chrono Trigger, and so much more. He was an absolute legend.

And I think Oda and Naruto's creator used to work under him too before they branched off to make their own series. Rest in peace to him and thank you for creating so many memories for all of us.

Ryu adoptable made by Stardust
    Waving Buizel avatar made/animated by Da Plushee Boree
    Buimeleon made by Hare
    Static User bar & Anarchy Buizel made by honeycomb
    Name User bar made by Lyrichord
    Buizel Ryus made by Zapdos & GWN, respectfully
    Cutey Buizel made by Wooloo
    Buizel gif User bar made by Zenitsu
    Vector Buizel made by Hollow
    Ryu Buizel User bar made by Dero
    Christmas Buizel made by DankRUSE

National Dex Number: 418
    Type: Water
    Sea Weasel Pokemon

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Buizel For This Useful Post:

Zenitsu (03-08-2024)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    954 times
    Time Online
    116d 18h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    These kinds of sudden losses are so heartbreaking the older we get. Like most 90s kids DBZ was one of my first intros to the world of anime and I have a lot of fun memories watching, joking, and playing pretend with my cousins growing up. We only have a single male among a bunch of females in my generation and it was nice to have something that connected us across the gender gap. I hope his soul is at peace and send my condolences to his family/friends. 😔

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Synth Salazzle (03-08-2024),Zenitsu (03-08-2024)