Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    3d 19h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by rachel View Post
    I juuuuuuuust want to play devil's advocate for a second and say that all these boards on cK lately also bringing attention to pets or people we're uncertain about is probably playing a role, too, in their safety.

We already know that people who aren't members here can see what we discuss, as many of them have directly mentioned current boards we have up ON neopets.
    If we want to keep buyers and their UCs safe (which should always have a first line of defense in the form of a conversation between seller and buyer) - no matter how sketchy or uncertain it looks to us - the best bet is probably going to be not bringing additional attention to it, y'know?

Like, it says a lot to have an entire forum of people who (for the most part) do things on neo to break the rules also pointing out sketchy people on the PC... even if we don't report, we could pave the way for people who do (the same way the PCoutlist did for so long). The more attention something gets, the more likely the people who do report things are going to notice.
    You're totally right. I kind of thought of that once I posted this thread. I'm sorry for any role that I played in this if additional suspicion is brought to the player. And mods can delete this thread if they see fit. Sorry again!
    Last edited by Tentacle1; 01-01-2016 at 12:46 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    636 times
    Time Online
    88d 2h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentacle1 View Post
    You're totally right. I kind of thought of that once I posted this thread. I'm sorry for any role that I played in this if additional suspicion is brought to the player. And mods can delete this thread if they see fit. Sorry again!
    Oh no, I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad by any means!
    For as long as I've been a member on this forum, these boards have always popped up, haha.
    Just like everyone else, we love to talk about anything gossip-y or potentially dramatic - I just wanted to play devil's advocate and think out loud for a second.

Thinking about it, I might even make a suggestion for a neo-related drama board that can be hidden; not that it'll stop anyone who's really interested in signing up to see it, b'yeah, haha.

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    18d 6h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    (you need an account to see links) She's adopting it out now

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    8d 19h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    (you need an account to see links)

Anddd it's over! (no screenies cos phone)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    95 times
    Time Online
    127d 13h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    Quote Originally Posted by rachel View Post
    I juuuuuuuust want to play devil's advocate for a second and say that all these boards on cK lately also bringing attention to pets or people we're uncertain about is probably playing a role, too, in their safety.

We already know that people who aren't members here can see what we discuss, as many of them have directly mentioned current boards we have up ON neopets.
    If we want to keep buyers and their UCs safe (which should always have a first line of defense in the form of a conversation between seller and buyer) - no matter how sketchy or uncertain it looks to us - the best bet is probably going to be not bringing additional attention to it, y'know?

Like, it says a lot to have an entire forum of people who (for the most part) do things on neo to break the rules also pointing out sketchy people on the PC... even if we don't report, we could pave the way for people who do (the same way the PCoutlist did for so long). The more attention something gets, the more likely the people who do report things are going to notice.
    I know you're just playing devil's advocate but I actually agree with this so much (it's definitely a thought that's passed through my mind as I started to see more of these threads). I agree that the threads have surfaced some pretty sketchy looking pets/boards, and it's very cringe/facepalm-worthy when someone who clearly isn't doing a good job of securing/introducing a pet is being pretty obvious about being illegit.

But we're supposed to be a safe community of illegit and legit users alike, and in a way it's like the horrible outlist all over again ("Ugh guys look at how illegit/sketchy this pet/person is! SMH!"), even though I know that's not at all the intention here. Just when interesting stuff like this comes up it's fun to gossip/laugh about. Nevertheless it would help to turn the other cheek (or talk about it a little more privately) when this stuff happens so we don't plant the seed of doubt in the minds of PCers who may not have doubted the legitimacy of a pet to begin with x_x

I feel like people make those boards with their bought pets though because there are guides for introducing pets onto the PC, and some of the tips include on-PC adoptions, or they say to pretend you're just returning from a long hiatus etc. These days I read this and it feels like bad advice, but when I think more about it, I think it really just comes down to execution.
    Last edited by Foxglove; 01-01-2016 at 05:39 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxglove For This Useful Post:

nightlife (01-02-2016),rachel (01-01-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    182 times
    Time Online
    97d 3h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    The pet is now a red quiggle

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suicune For This Useful Post:

hissi (01-01-2016),Winona (01-01-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    4d 8h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Serais View Post
    The pet is now a red quiggle
    I spiritually relate to this pet

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 19h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I feel like there has been an increase in trolls advertising their UC pets, whether they're "back from hiatus" or "pet UFA", and then morphing them into quiggles or similar. At least that how it seems as I lurk around. Why? Isn't that just like throwing away money?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    1d 13h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I see a board almost every day with a pet UFT that is owned by a person suddenly back from hiatus and "should I convert lol"?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    6d 1h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    If I still had my old account, I would have definitely done this...because I'm an idiot & wouldn't have a clue that it would set red flags off. Then probably been frozen. I believe this happens because it's something I'd do. Left neopets for years & years.