Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How long do you think Neopets will last?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    230d 9h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 35m
    It will last forever hopefully. Hope it get to the right hands IF JS sell neo *cough*

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Doge For This Useful Post:

cibomatto (01-01-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    12d 22h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdtail View Post
    My unsolicited two cents here... I used to play another game as well as neopets through my childhood and I took the same turn as NP has - it's still around, it's changed a LOT and not in a good way. Mostly caters to young kids - but it's still around. Some nostalgic oldies stuck around.

I think as long as there's an Internet presence of children, Neopets (and my other game I loved in my elementary years, Horseland) they will exist to some degree.
    Yes, I played horseland too, and it sucked so so bad when they change it. I played on another site several years ago, which was a perfect replica of original horseland.

Since neo has already switched to the kiddie version and it's still failing, the least they could do is give us back our old site!

As for the filters, @(you need an account to see links) , they are just another glitch brought on by the transition. The theory is that they originally put the filters up, and then had to enter "exceptions" (skill, grapes, seaweed) by hand, which would allow it to pass though the filters. People think that they lost this list of exceptions in the transition, so they have to do it again. I am not a computer genius, so I have no idea how accurate this is, but this is what I have heard.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    40d 7h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    It makes me really sad, but I don't think it will be around in the way we know it for too many more years.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/0
    Mentioned
    191 times
    Time Online
    45d 20h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    I think Neo's doing a decent job of pissing off a lot of the regulars that have stuck around through the good and the bad. I may not have been a long time premium user but I've decided to let it run out. I'm taking a huge step back from Neopets as I don't like what it's turning into. Sure, Jumpstart just barely bought it and haven't had a long time to prove themselves, but it hasn't been without a lot of bumps in the road.

I agree that the Neopets domain will always exist. I agree that it's not going to be the same. I don't agree that Jumpstart is going to fully cater to the older audience of Neopets, or give it back to us. For Neopets to be a thriving site again, they have to find a balance between keeping the older users interested and still advertise in a way that makes younger users want to join. Or hell, even get people who used to play Neopets back on. I rarely meet anyone on the boards who hasn't been on Neopets in the last 6-7 years. With all the issues with the site right now, I don't blame people for not wanting to join, especially after reading all the boards bitching about things that are broken.

Neo needs a new business model, in short. Whether or not they do is up in the air. Whether or not people are going to continue to stick through all the broken parts of the game is also unknown.

tl;dr It'll be around but struggling like now.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aska For This Useful Post:

Banannie (01-03-2015),Psellia (06-23-2019),Q*bert (01-03-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    6h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    i honestly thought it would die years ago but it's still kicking along.. has much changed over the last couple of years? i haven't played consistently since around.. early 2013 i think?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/0
    Mentioned
    191 times
    Time Online
    45d 20h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Quote Originally Posted by eli View Post
    i honestly thought it would die years ago but it's still kicking along.. has much changed over the last couple of years? i haven't played consistently since around.. early 2013 i think?
    (you need an account to see links)

Try this link. It's a run down of major stuff that has happened.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aska For This Useful Post:

Banannie (01-03-2015),eli (01-03-2015),Wormjaw (01-03-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    8d 21h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    They need to do another plushie sale at McDonalds

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tchaikovsky For This Useful Post:

Banannie (01-03-2015),Kanrik (01-03-2015)

Pronouns
    any :)
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    105 times
    Time Online
    21d 20h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by resJUN View Post
    Ahh, I must have missed that. WELL I can only hope!! Haha.

I don't know about the filters tho, it seems like they've gotten way harsher. Like, they let me type "scrapes," "skills," and "seaweed" before, but sometime within the last few months they decided that they weren't okay. Like, I'm really sick of the filters because "rape," "kill," and "weed" in the contexts the original words were in wouldn't make any sense, but I mean this is Neopets we're talking about so ???
    to anyone saying these filters were there before: yes they were, but only in neomails. petpages, guilds and boards the filters were a little more lenient but not anymore. it's ridiculous.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    40d 7h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    They murdered Shwoo an for that I will forever be heartbroken.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    69/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    6d 6h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    To be fair, in a way, they were ahead of their time with mobile. They came out with that before smartphones and apps were a thing, back when those phones with a keyboard were new and exciting. I believe they mentioned they're coming out with a mobile app for smartphones and such.

As for everything else... yeah. I mean, it's pretty impressive it's lasted this long IMO. The site itself is now older than its target demographic. I think at this point it's all how JS handles it. If they treat it like a product and start marketing it well and such, I think it'll be okay. It needs a fresh new player base but all really has are the vets clinging to it; but TNT keeps pissing them off with everything they do. If they can adapt though and realize they've been systematically running their site into the ground for the past 5-10 years, I think they can turn it around. Otherwise, I think they'll hit 20 but eventually that'll be it.

Even most of the well known TNT members have been jumping ship, I've heard. So that's pretty telling.