151/1
    Mentioned
    442 times
    Time Online
    122d 5h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    41m

"Bitcoin exchange Bitfinex reports $75 million has been stolen"

I know like .000003% of the clraik population users clraik (including me) but i thought i'd share this lmao.

Bitcoin exchange platform Bitfinex is reporting the theft of what some users are saying is as much as 119,756btc � or about $65 million in cash.
    1 BTC currently runs for $540 USD. How would you feel if you walked away with 75 million or lost your funds in this?

A Reddit user under the handle of �zanetackett� is �confirming� the loss at 119,756btc. A LinkedIn profile for a Zane Tackett has him working at Bitfinex as a Director of Community & Product Development, so it�s likely safe to assume his Reddit account is simply his name, and the information is authentic.
    Today we discovered a security breach that requires us to halt all trading on Bitfinex, as well as halt all digital token deposits to and withdrawals from Bitfinex.

We are investigating the breach to determine what happened, but we know that some of our users have had their bitcoins stolen. We are undertaking a review to determine which users have been affected by the breach. While we conduct this initial investigation and secure our environment, bitfinex.com will be taken down and the maintenance page will be left up.

The theft is being reported to � and we are co-operating with � law enforcement.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    I wonder how they are going to cooperate with law enforcement. Currency like this is currently a pretty grey area. The currency isn't regulated in any way shape or form by any government? I think it's kind of funny how a company like this managed to screw up so badly. Hopefully people think twice before allowing somebody to store their bitcoins like that. I keep all my bitcoins on my local device.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    208 times
    Time Online
    98d 13h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    i thought bitcoin died like last year?? like for good??

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by Peridot View Post
    i thought bitcoin died like last year?? like for good??
    No, it's very far from dying. It's alive and well. There are even a ton of copycat currencies out there now as well.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    151/1
    Mentioned
    442 times
    Time Online
    122d 5h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    41m
    (you need an account to see links)

LMAO now the guy is claming to give away 1,000 btc~~~

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    8d 8h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    there was a judge not that long ago that dropped all charges from a guy who stole 200m worth of btc, stating that the currency is not valid and therefore can not be legally prosecuted for. btc is going to die soon, in a year its halved in price, there are asic miners out there now, and its mostly involved in darkweb stuff so you know the fbi and cia have their hands deep in it. cryptocurrency is and always will be an "in game" value as i call it. seeing as it takes months to get real cash for it anyways.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by c4ndym4n View Post
    there was a judge not that long ago that dropped all charges from a guy who stole 200m worth of btc, stating that the currency is not valid and therefore can not be legally prosecuted for. btc is going to die soon, in a year its halved in price, there are asic miners out there now, and its mostly involved in darkweb stuff so you know the fbi and cia have their hands deep in it. cryptocurrency is and always will be an "in game" value as i call it. seeing as it takes months to get real cash for it anyways.
    Wait what? Where are you seeing it's price being cut in half? I don't think bitcoin is going to be dying anytime soon. I see it only expanding from here, or at least cryptocurrency in general, maybe not bitcoin specifically. As there is less and less faith in the big banks and the establishment, more and more people will be seeking alternatives. I know plenty of people who have invested in gold rather than paper currency and such as gold is tangible, constant and precious. It really just depends what your ultimate goal is. I use bitcoin all the time for purchases. There are a growing number of retailers out there that are accepting it as a valid form of payment.