DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    8d 22h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    It's the people who mostly influence them into becoming "bad" dogs. Humans can seriously be sick sometime. Not only do they fight dogs, but I've recently learned of a term called "bait dog." Which is basically a dog punching bag. People knock out the teeth of bait dogs or tape their muzzle shut, then tie them down so they can't run away. Then they let loose an "in-training" dog (or more than one at a time--apparently competition brings out more fierceness) on the bait dog to rip it apart and attack it to severe injuries. This is how they 'train' their fighting dogs. Using a defenseless bait dog which isn't even given a fighting chance. Very sad what people will do for entertainment, money, and whatever bullshit reason.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    If someone wants to take on a Pit bull they need to put in the time to train it etc like any other dog. This breed is just more animalistic in nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    2d 1h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by goldentryst View Post
    It's the people who mostly influence them into becoming "bad" dogs. Humans can seriously be sick sometime. Not only do they fight dogs, but I've recently learned of a term called "bait dog." Which is basically a dog punching bag. People knock out the teeth of bait dogs or tape their muzzle shut, then tie them down so they can't run away. Then they let loose an "in-training" dog (or more than one at a time--apparently competition brings out more fierceness) on the bait dog to rip it apart and attack it to severe injuries. This is how they 'train' their fighting dogs. Using a defenseless bait dog which isn't even given a fighting chance. Very sad what people will do for entertainment, money, and whatever bullshit reason.
    I've heard of this as well. As an owner of two pit bulls, I have to be very careful with leaving them in my backyard, etc. because a lot of the dogs in those rings are stolen and where I live, dogs are taken often. It's disgusting.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by dividend View Post
    I've heard of this as well. As an owner of two pit bulls, I have to be very careful with leaving them in my backyard, etc. because a lot of the dogs in those rings are stolen and where I live, dogs are taken often. It's disgusting.
    That's fucked up. Hope that never happens for you

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    16d 20h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I don't think pit bulls are bad dogs, the 'bad' ones are just ones that haven't been socialized properly (be it with humans, other dogs, cats, etc), were trained incorrectly, or don't have an outlet. Pit bulls are a terrier - terriers were bred, in most instances, to chase something down. Within terriers, there's two sects - baying and kill. Baying terriers will merely chase something down, corner it, and wait for the hunter to come and dispatch/collect it while the kill terriers will handle it on their own. Both can exist within a breed and, from what has been explained to me, it is as varied as a dog-to-dog basis. What this means is that yes, some pit bulls are disposed to attacking small animals (cats, rabbits, squirrels, etc - anything that runs away from them and is smaller than them) and it is the owner's responsibility to take care. Then there are some pits who will cuddle with the family cat or rabbit - it is all a matter of the dog itself's personality. No two dogs are alike so you can't assume just because dog#1 tolerates cats that dog#2 will, too.

If I had a pit (I would LOVE one, but I don't have an active enough lifestyle), I'd never leave it alone with my cat or rabbit but that's only because I'd want to always be sure. This is the same for if I had any terrier, really - I had a feist x JRT mix who was insanely human aggressive due to a neurological issue, as far as we could tell. He just snapped soon as he hit 1yr old :/ Was fine until then. So pit bulls aren't bad, they're just not for everyone. They need a lot of exercise/stimulation and they don't typically do well in apartments and stuff like that unless they get a lot of 'out' time. It's the same for breeds like Border Collies and Malinois - and German Sheps. They need exercise because they've been bred to work, be it herding or chasing. They need that outlet like they need food and when they don't get it, it can really affect their behavior and cause anxiety, etc.

I think another term of 'kill' is 'catch'. I'm not sure, the person I have spoken to at length called them 'bay' and 'kill'. I can't seem to find anything on it now but I'm also a little tired.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    8d 22h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by dividend View Post
    Wow wtf...

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    52 times
    Time Online
    12d 14h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Going with what most have said -- depends on how they're raised. I don't know much about pits, but I do know they weren't always seen as they are today. A lady I live with used to raise and train pits back in NY, and when she moved here to KS kept one. He's the goofiest, most stubborn but adorable pit I've seen. He's also a huge momma's boy and gets very vocal and sad if he isn't by her side :p
    The jerk downstairs trained him to kill cats just because he didn't like them, and it took a while to get him out of that habit. He's never been violent from what I hear unless provoked -- and he is very tolerant of a hyper-active corgi that lives with him, if that says anything lol.

But yeah, the pits I know are very sweet and lovable ^^

make me mewtwo banners and an avatar? <3

ALWAYS SEEKING
    Art, graphics, & layouts for Neopets! HMU if you're interested in making some!

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 times
    Time Online
    24d 13h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Bad dogs come from bad owners (or naive ones). A pitbull isn't born inherently bad, just that idiotic thugs see them as a status symbol and train them to be vicious. It's a shame really.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by Knighted View Post
    Bad dogs come from bad owners (or naive ones). A pitbull isn't born inherently bad, just that idiotic thugs see them as a status symbol and train them to be vicious. It's a shame really.
    Damn straight!

A dog needs your attention and time otherwise without Basic training as a minimum otherwise they will basically be wild animals as meant to be.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Naked Gamer For This Useful Post:

Aska (07-29-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    20h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Agreed! Pitbulls are beautiful dogs if trained properly from young. Most dogs are simply playful or do not know when boundaries are crossed. As the owner, you have to draw the line and teach them what should and should not be done.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to chenszc For This Useful Post:

lpdonkey (08-01-2015)