Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's it like to be an immigrant?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    82/0
    Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    73d 13h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    26m
    Vancouver is definitely the Goldilocks zone of Canada. I live here and the rent is for sure too damn high!

Im surprised by those numbers. In general I thought we (Canada) needs more immigrants to keep its economy going. Our citizens are having less babies nowadays so we rely (I believe) on immigrants to keep the populations up.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    30 times
    Time Online
    4d 4h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    TL;DR -- PM me and I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

I moved from the US to the UK in 2012 to be with my husband. As bacchus and Skarl have mentioned previously, some of your questions depend on your origin and your destination, as well as how you personally adapt and integrate into a new culture.

Having previously experienced travel outside of my own country, myself, I'm not gonna lie... I struggled with the move. YMMV, however. Everyone handles situations differently.

To touch on your questions:

3. The Following User Says Thank You to heyjay For This Useful Post:

dyinghearte (06-01-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    1d 11h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I love so much Vancouver.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    5h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    RUNNNNNNNNN

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    3h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    wow, this is a cool topic! thanks

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/0
    Mentioned
    40 times
    Time Online
    21d 5h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Looks like I need to do some mad saving up then...

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    9h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    We never evolved from monkeys, we have evolved from early homo sapiens, which happened to look ape-like in the past with an extended brow and more hair on their bodies. Thought it is a theory we have a common ancestor, it has never been proven as there is that 'missing link' scientists can't seem to find. Even if they did find it, it doesn't mean we evolved from apes, but rather we had a similar ape-like line of early homo sapiens.

The idea of a conscience that was brought up in the first page is more of a stage of our evolution than something that just happened. We aren't very good predators without each other and our intelligence. I doubt we'd survive as long as we have without hunting in packs and making groups of people that work together to survive. I feel a big step in our evolution was the fact that the smarter of us that could build tools to survive lived while the less intelligent that couldn't learn how died off from starvation.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    19h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I'm not an immigrant, but my dad is from Germany. His parents moved here first to California, and after a couple of years (he was in his 20s) he made the move to California too. He says that the language barrier is crazy, but immersing yourself in an english speaking world helps you learn quickly. Now he speaks perfect english, just with a little bit of an accent. He also worked on cars because he had a fascination with them, and it doesn't require too much human interaction. So finding that job wasn't too bad. It took him 20 years to get his citizenship because it's HELLA EXPENSIVE. Keeping a green card alone is hundreds a year. His family did have a lot of money saved so the move wasn't terrible, but money runs out quickly when you're working for $10 an hour.