Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do benzos set off stupid binge mode?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    16d 12h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m

Unhappy Do benzos set off stupid binge mode?

When barred out I start shoveling food into mouth without thinking. I don't ever ever binge on the regular because food is freaky af. Typically I really get off on the feeling of hunger and a gnawing appetite. What is happen- is this a thing? I am incredibly underweight n e way, but thats self induced. I have major anxiety, and bars kick my anxiety's butt, but food fears and all that make me go nutty when I wake up in the morning laying in a pile of chips!!!!
    Anyone else get like this?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 times
    Time Online
    13d 21h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Idk, when I'm barred out, the last thing I think about is food. I'll only binge if I drink or smoke.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you freaked out by food?

The feeling of hunger makes me so cranky..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Teal For This Useful Post:

Puff (04-30-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Short answer is yes. Benzos have a very distinct effect on food intake. Alprazolam, Clonozepam, Diazepam, Lorazepam, Temazepam and others all increase food "palatability" as medical professionals call it. Basically cravings increase because the food tastes better. One study even showed significant increase in cravings pre-menstrual cycle in women.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Puff (04-30-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    16d 12h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    very interesting! thanks for your input. i WISH i wasnt so food obsessed all xanned out, haha! Sci_girl hit the nail on the head- food i don't typically find too appealing suddenly becomes the most delicious thing in the world! Gonna look into that. I never even end up eating at all after drinking or smoking even at the point of stumbling like an idiot with complete lack of inhibition!! Weird!!

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

ha, ps, big self hatred leads to lots of weird thoughts like, feeling completely undeserving of nourishment bc deeply rooted belief you are worthless. you are taking up space you have no right to - you are breathing oxygen you have no right to. you should shrink into a tiny dot, make yourself small and unseen so you do not disturb the universe. very very ritualistic and sad!! the feeling of fullness in my tum makes my head explode and i turn to some self punishing behavior-- run ten miles, etc. hard to understand, I know!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    21d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Puff View Post
    very interesting! thanks for your input. i WISH i wasnt so food obsessed all xanned out, haha! Sci_girl hit the nail on the head- food i don't typically find too appealing suddenly becomes the most delicious thing in the world! Gonna look into that. I never even end up eating at all after drinking or smoking even at the point of stumbling like an idiot with complete lack of inhibition!! Weird!!

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

ha, ps, big self hatred leads to lots of weird thoughts like, feeling completely undeserving of nourishment bc deeply rooted belief you are worthless. you are taking up space you have no right to - you are breathing oxygen you have no right to. you should shrink into a tiny dot, make yourself small and unseen so you do not disturb the universe. very very ritualistic and sad!! the feeling of fullness in my tum makes my head explode and i turn to some self punishing behavior-- run ten miles, etc. hard to understand, I know!
    If I may chime in here, and I do believe that @(you need an account to see links) and I are of the same background (yay!), I am a bit concerned with how you describe your consumption of xanax.... I think that you need to consider what something like xanax does to your body's normal processes (homeostasis), and when you then mix in other drugs, be they alcohol or pot, you are throwing hormones and the likes into a confusing shit-storm. The fact that you call taking xanax being "barred out" also worries me that perhaps you arent taking it properly (either without script or at too high of a dose), and this can also screw with your body's normal signalling and processes. While @(you need an account to see links) did mention studies suggesting an increased palatability of food, I would argue that your intake of various substances is likely the culprit here, or at least a contributing factor.
    Queen Bee

8. The Following User Says Thank You to haiqtpi For This Useful Post:

Puff (05-02-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by haiqtpi View Post
    If I may chime in here, and I do believe that @(you need an account to see links) and I are of the same background (yay!), I am a bit concerned with how you describe your consumption of xanax.... I think that you need to consider what something like xanax does to your body's normal processes (homeostasis), and when you then mix in other drugs, be they alcohol or pot, you are throwing hormones and the likes into a confusing shit-storm. The fact that you call taking xanax being "barred out" also worries me that perhaps you arent taking it properly (either without script or at too high of a dose), and this can also screw with your body's normal signalling and processes. While @(you need an account to see links) did mention studies suggesting an increased palatability of food, I would argue that your intake of various substances is likely the culprit here, or at least a contributing factor.
    Yeah. I just answered the benzo and food association question. The psych portion of this is huge, but I am not as well versed in psych as I am with the meds themselves.

I am not sure what "barred out" means but I am hoping it does not mean combining alcohol with benzos. The two combined will potentiate the effects of a benzo. That is super dangerous. But OP never mentioned drinking alcohol while taking the med so I hope I am just misreading into what barred out means.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Puff (05-02-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    15d 23h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    i used to binge eat when i took xanax but i think a lot of it was maybe i have weird food anxieties and then when i'd chill out i wouldn't care anymore and it was easy to eat and eat and eat...and then i'd eat too much because its like i just wouldn't get full or something. if something tastes good i could just keep eating and that "ok i'm done and full now" feeling never kicks in. but weed was the same way, so maybe i just have food issues. now i just don't eat if i drink or smoke or w/e because i know that my brain will go offline and not tell me when to stop so its easier to just wait until i'm sober and can actually tell if i'm hungry or not

when i actually had a benzo rx for like 5 seconds and took it like normal i didn't notice it, i have to be high for it to happen. but i definitely noticed that too!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapir For This Useful Post:

Puff (05-02-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    46 times
    Time Online
    8d 12h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    It can, depends on the person.
    Food definitely tastes better, as with any downer, alcohol, bud, etc. But it just depends, I try not to eat cus i know food will absorb the chemical and lessen the effect. But if I have more and don't care then yeah why not? I'll eat.
    Last edited by 70spurple; 04-30-2016 at 05:19 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 70spurple For This Useful Post:

Puff (05-02-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    I've eaten less since I've been on Clonazepam, but I don't take them to get high, so there might be a difference there.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Misha For This Useful Post:

Puff (05-02-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    There is some suggestion that tolerance plays a factor in it as well. So if you have been on the Rx for a long time you may notice next to nothing unless dose is changed or a new med is introduced.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Puff (05-02-2016)