Mentioned
    58 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

Life Goals

Hey clraik.
    Im having a motivational problem and thought id ask you this.

I know when we are young we have all these grand dreams "i wanna be a doctor!" "i wanna be rich!" "Im gonna cure cancer!"
    but not alot of them are attainable.

so im kinda lost what i want to do.
    Im currently in a 4 years liberal arts program in a prestigious university in japan. It ranks as the 2nd best school in japan and pretty high globally. the problem is that my program doesnt give me a degree in anything when i grad because its a liberal arts. class selection are really random from business, internation relations to introduction to dinosaurs and stuff. I dont wanna go to grad school because i feel its a waste of time atm. I know students from my program get hired in big name companies like this one kid got hired into Capcom and this is all without a degree. But in the end i have no idea how far the brand name of my college takes me. so i really dont know what i wanna do in my life.
    So clraik

What do you wanna do for a living? and what are you doing to achieve that goal? When did you make this goal

and if you already achieved your goal
    what did you do to achieve it?what motivated you?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    108/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    49d 8h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Fuck it all, Animation and Kendama is the way to go
    [11:06 PN] domenick: you cant fix stupid
    [11:06 PM] andrew: unfortunately not lol

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    I think it would benefit you to at least have a 'degree' to your resume. A degree is essentially the word itself, a lot of employers require it for jobs, moreso than the degree program itself. You're still young and don't know exactly what you want or where the future lies, good to bottom yourself with underlying credentials.

You may even choose to return to the US or work elsewhere as your life progresses; while the name of your university may be well known in Japan, I can tell you many employers overseas are lazy when conducting credential checks and probably won't account for it unless it's a big name like a US Ivy or somewhere like Cambridge, Oxford, etc. What they WILL check for is completion of a 'degree'. It's true what they say, that after your first 1-2 career-oriented jobs, it's experience that matters - but you'll never make it without basic education credentials in your field of work.

Consider looking at options at your uni to take a few more courses on top of what you're doing to qualify for the nearest degree at least. If not, look at other local unis that may offer transfer credit, if you're certain you don't want to do a Masters.

Quote Originally Posted by kaikaikaisauce View Post
    What do you wanna do for a living? and what are you doing to achieve that goal? When did you make this goal

and if you already achieved your goal
    what did you do to achieve it?what motivated you?
    1. To be frank, I still don't know exactly. I do know what I don't want to do however, and I have narrowed it down to a few achievable career options by now.
    2. I double-majored in a program that allowed me the flexibility of more employment options.
    3. I didn't decide on it until like you said, the typical 'dream jobs' started falling on me and I made do with what I had, assessing what I could shine my education up into.

4. Null
    5. Working in a related job market for some time opened my eyes and gave me motivation to go HAM at the remainder of my time in school, while I still could to boost my chances of a stable future. The job market today isn't as easy as it comes off. You only hear of success stories of people getting 'in' like your kid in Capcom, but no one really tells of the majority of people getting rejected from jobs. There are more people on Earth than ever, and more young, qualified, degree holders than there were 30 years ago.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Magikarp (01-24-2014),Raj (01-24-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    2d 2h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I want to teach high school biology. Currently, I'm enrolled in university to receive a biological sciences major and an education minor. Next spring, I apply to a graduate school of education and *pray*. The majority of applications to the grad school are elementary school level and high school english/history so as a wanna-be science teacher I have a decent chance. I *officially* made this goal last year; I had always known I wanted to be a biology major but I hadn't known what I specifically wanted to do with it. I'd always loved being in school, I loved my teachers, and I love learning. So I think part of the problem for me not really knowing what I wanted to do in *the real world* is because I never really wanted to move on from school. So I'm excited

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    58 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by xSparkle View Post
    I want to teach high school biology. Currently, I'm enrolled in university to receive a biological sciences major and an education minor. Next spring, I apply to a graduate school of education and *pray*. The majority of applications to the grad school are elementary school level and high school english/history so as a wanna-be science teacher I have a decent chance. I *officially* made this goal last year; I had always known I wanted to be a biology major but I hadn't known what I specifically wanted to do with it. I'd always loved being in school, I loved my teachers, and I love learning. So I think part of the problem for me not really knowing what I wanted to do in *the real world* is because I never really wanted to move on from school. So I'm excited
    im glad to hear that there are people who do reach their goals and be able to do what they want to do
    happy for you!

but then again prolly the first person i know that "loves" being in school

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    21d 9h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I don't know exactly what I want to do for a living, but I know I'm probably going to go to college for chemical engineering. I'm taking a lot of the hardest classes offered at my high school so i can have a good GPA that will impress colleges so I can get into a good school. I really like science and math so I figured engineering would be the best choice, my older brother is majoring in chemical engineering and he got me really interested in it over this past winter break and I like how there's so much different stuff you can do with an engineering degree so I'm really excited to apply to colleges this fall and see what happens

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    6d 16h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    at 36 half my life has already slipped past, but i have 3 wonderful children, a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food in my cupboards. ive got my animals and my family, oh and bexxy. lol. fifteen years in june!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to vampyd1977 For This Useful Post:

Banannie (01-26-2014)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    I'm in a bit of a weird place, but I really want to go into software engineering. I have a couple friends/people I know working with startups and love it, so I like that direction. To get there I'm studying CompSci and plan on getting my MEng to balance out the fact that my undergrad will be from a liberal arts school. Also to put off ~real world~ stuff. I made this goal when I was about fifteen and I'm going on twenty-three.

Aforementioned weird place is because illness (particularly migraines) has made writing code physically difficult, and I also feel really constrained because I can't express visual creativity very well (I'm a design minor and plan on getting a second undergrad degree from an arts school). It's caused me to feel kind of lost and whatnot, and it sucks, but I just have to remind myself that the four year plan is bullshit and it's okay to not know or to try different thing.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    415 times
    Time Online
    30d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Being able to take care of my dogs and provide my family with kickbacks motivates me. I'm one of those "MY DOGS ARE MY CHILDREN" psychopaths.

My goal is to be a Special Agent for the Internal Revenue Service here in the states. My resume is beefed, so that would be the main recommendation I'd like to make here: gain experience, even if you have to volunteer, in whatever career path you decide on! Without my degree I've been ranked as "highly qualified" by the Feds... the only rank better is "Superior," which I'll acquire once I graduate. Specified experience is what got me that far.

Volunteering or working internships gets your foot/feet in the door and can often result in job offers. Just make sure that the facilities you dedicate some of your time to are worth your while and will be boosts to your resume whenever you decide what ya want to do.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skarl For This Useful Post:

Banannie (01-26-2014),Lyric (01-26-2014),Magikarp (01-27-2014),vampyd1977 (01-26-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 18h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I'm two years out of my first college degree (bachelor's in accounting), and I really enjoyed all the accounting & business theory while I was in school. However, getting out and working in it made me realize that it is absolutely the wrong job for me. I'm planning to head back to school in the fall, possibly for a journalism degree, and possibly with the intent of going to law school at some point down the road. Having plans and goals is good, but it's also important not to get too hung up on them or freak out when they don't work for you. As long as you're moving forward (and keeping a roof over your head and food on your table), don't stress too much if your life doesn't go according to plan. Sometimes you'll have to try some things out to know what you do and don't want to do. Careers and life goals are a work in progress, not a hard limit.

Also, if you're willing to work hard, there's nothing wrong with "unattainable" goals - you might just surprise yourself and discover that some of them are very attainable.