7/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    16h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    The only point I can understand out of those is your point about you having a uterus. I'm going to assume because of democrat views on abortion? I'm for abortion, but still republican.
    Im not exactly sure what you mean about the other points though.
    It is largely the view on abortion, yes. I don't think I'd ever get one, but I don't believe that my personal preference should determine the law. I Can appreciate that not all republicans (or any group of anything) is homogenous. When I say that politicians are generally the same, I mean that in the end their direction on a lot of things is determined by popular majority of their voters. For the President, which way they vote is heavily based on whether they can get re-elected. Pardon me for not having links to support this statement (it's late and I'm feeling quite lazy, but) it seems to be common knowledge that a President votes/acts conservatively (safely) when up for re-election and makes their bold "remember me this way" moves come at the end of their terms.

On the environment, so very many republican leaders are openly anti-climate science or anti-science in general! It pains me to see Ted Cruz now at the helm of NASA, considering his active bias against science in deference to religious beliefs. As a humanist (and atheist) and qualified high school science teacher seeing some republicans tow the "all or nothing, Bible-literalist"-line just because it appears to be a package deal. This means I end up having to back the lesser of two weevils in order to help keep Bible myths out of science classrooms. These things don't have to be a package deal, but it just seems to be that way now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to felis.noctua For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (01-19-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by felis.noctua View Post
    It is largely the view on abortion, yes. I don't think I'd ever get one, but I don't believe that my personal preference should determine the law. I Can appreciate that not all republicans (or any group of anything) is homogenous. When I say that politicians are generally the same, I mean that in the end their direction on a lot of things is determined by popular majority of their voters. For the President, which way they vote is heavily based on whether they can get re-elected. Pardon me for not having links to support this statement (it's late and I'm feeling quite lazy, but) it seems to be common knowledge that a President votes/acts conservatively (safely) when up for re-election and makes their bold "remember me this way" moves come at the end of their terms.

On the environment, so very many republican leaders are openly anti-climate science or anti-science in general! It pains me to see Ted Cruz now at the helm of NASA, considering his active bias against science in deference to religious beliefs. As a humanist (and atheist) and qualified high school science teacher seeing some republicans tow the "all or nothing, Bible-literalist"-line just because it appears to be a package deal. This means I end up having to back the lesser of two weevils in order to help keep Bible myths out of science classrooms. These things don't have to be a package deal, but it just seems to be that way now.
    I personally don't believe religion should be a part of any school curriculum, if it's a public school. Religion and science should absolutely never be in the same sentence, let alone the same classroom. I strongly believe in science and fact over some dude in the sky telling me what I can and can't do to protect myself from burning for all of eternity.

Anyway lol, the president is a puppet and a scape goat for the government's agenda. Just a face to blame.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Misha For This Useful Post:

Foxglove (01-19-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    16h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    I personally don't believe religion should be a part of any school curriculum, if it's a public school. Religion and science should absolutely never be in the same sentence, let alone the same classroom. I strongly believe in science and fact over some dude in the sky telling me what I can and can't do to protect myself from burning for all of eternity.

Anyway lol, the president is a puppet and a scape goat for the government's agenda. Just a face to blame.
    Woot! We appear to be on the same page! Inter-party-dance-party!
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)
    Last edited by felis.noctua; 01-19-2015 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Silly if isn't gif

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 7h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    So like yeah, because Obama is black and a democrat we should totally impeach him.
    Just saying that's all I'm getting from this thread.
    I could continue.
    But I digress.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderlander View Post
    So like yeah, because Obama is black and a democrat we should totally impeach him.
    Just saying that's all I'm getting from this thread.
    I could continue.
    But I digress.
    This thread is old, so I can't remember exactly what was said. Not really interested in reading all the way through again, but imo, right now, Id rather let him stay in office to ride the sinking ship down.
    He could be the whitest dude on the planet, and the most die hard republican you can find, and I still wouldn't like the man. I can't speak for everyone though. It's just so many of the policies he pushing through blow my mind. I've never seen anybody work so hard to dismantle a country as he has. As an American citizen, I feel like I don't matter, it's all about illegal aliens and helping foreign countries. I can't really think of any positive things he has done.
    The Affordable care act is debatable. We have had that discussion elsewhere and I can see the positives and negatives. But for myself, the ACA has not made anything affordable at all. The rates have skyrocketed and it's insane. They are only going to get higher too, so I'm not a fan. I feel like I'm being punished more for something I didn't even do.
    He brought about legislation to have all these illegal immigrants stay for free. We have also had this discussion elsewhere, and I am still unable to see any benefits from this. I can empathize with those that do, but I will never agree, for many reasons. I mean, Christ, he wants to shut down Guantanamo bay, where many of the most dangerous people in the world are detained. I can't think of one reason that would be a good idea, can you? Most of the people detained there wouldn't balk at the opportunity to bring widespread chaos to the world, especially the U.S.
    i could go on, but I digress.

tl:dr - it's not the color of his skin or his political party. Those are awk arguments that hold no clout. The issues stem from much larger problems than the superficial.
    Last edited by I_royalty_I; 01-20-2015 at 11:32 AM.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

baileaf (01-20-2015),Misha (01-20-2015)