Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 times
    Time Online
    12d 10h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

have you ever......

seen a really attractive stranger in public and gone up to them and given them your number/asked them out/introduced yourself??? (completely sober)

Or just seen someone you think looks cool/like they'd be a great person to befriend. Have you gone up and said hi?

Does this even happen anymore or do encounters like that only really occur whilst drunk in a night club?? (with a heightened confidence level)

I feel like I have missed a lot of opportunities for friendships/relationships in my life because i've been too chicken to go up and talk to someone, I think that's probably reflective of how most communication is done via social networking/texting these days. We seem to rely on that for communication because it's easier. Before all that existed, people would just go up and talk to people.

There's a section in a newspaper here (called MX) where people can anonymously submit messages about attractive people they see in the city and instead of going up and talking to them, they tell a newspaper where it will be published in the hopes this person will see it.

I have seen attractive people and I personally feel deterred from going up and talking to them purely because it's not really the norm. Its easier to be rejected online. Man I don't know.

I am deep in thought rn and was wondering if anyone had any experiences they could share

Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    1h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    You should do it!!
    The worst that will happen is he will say no and you'll be where you are right now

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 times
    Time Online
    12d 10h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    THAT IS NOT THE POINT OF THIS THREAD omg

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    636 times
    Time Online
    88d 2h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    I struggle with that a lot, too.
    The exceptions are situations where I *have* to be like, the more outgoing person.
    For example, I was a camp counselor/lifeguard for a few years (mostly around my peers, though) so I'd reach out to a lot of campers because I felt like that was my responsibility, not theirs.
    And I was my sorority's recruitment chair during college, so whenever recruitment rolled around and we had 150-200 girls walking into our house, I *had* to be the first one who greeted them, welcomed them, talked to them, etc. because that's just the position I was in.

But just casually walking around, noooooooooooope, I'm awful at it.
    I think for me, it's more of a problem that I just don't... Go anywhere where I see a lot of new people? LOL
    But that's probably because of internet ngl so you make a lot of good points lolol

I wish that I was more confident and willing to do that
    Sometimes I watch Long Island medium while I work out because it's just what's on
    And whenever Theresa has like a person that she feels like she needs to talk to, she just goes right up to them, not only to just introduce herself out of nowhere, but also to tell them that she communicates with the dead?!?
    If she can do it, I'm sure we can too!!!
    (Go up to people, that is, not tell randos we talk to the dead)
    It's just not what's comfortable anymore, and I feel like there's just a lot less opportunities present, probably because of a internet and technology and stuff, like you said

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rachel For This Useful Post:

Naomi (07-12-2014),Sick (07-12-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    2d 12h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Well I have went up to somebody and introduced myself. We became friends.
    Tick tock. That's the sound of your running out.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 times
    Time Online
    12d 10h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I have a friend who met her current boyfriend via approaching him as a stranger on the street and I'm just like ???? HOW. seems IMPOSSIBLE

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    16d 8h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I'm terrible at things like this. I feel like I've missed opportunities in life because I've been too much of a pussy to go talk to girls/make new friends etc. I admit, in the past, I've relied heavily on social media/IMing etc. to make friends cause I suck.

I think social media has made it easier to be who we want to be, not who we actually are and this helps boost false confidence levels. Idk, if my current girlfriend hadn't hit on me (okay I was drunk but she still made the move) I'd never have known she was into me. I just kinda feel like although it worked out okay this time, if it hadn't I probably wouldn't have got together with her and so I kinda use that as inspiration - I don't want to miss out on experiences by being a puss so I just kinda think.. What if I didn't do this/that etc.?

Without being a huge clich�, if you don't go after what you want, you might never get it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:

Sick (07-12-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 times
    Time Online
    12d 10h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    YES same. last night I was just feeling overwhelmed with regret thinking over all the opportunities I missed hahaha. But you're exactly right and I'm glad things worked out so well for you awww

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    16d 8h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick View Post
    YES same. last night I was just feeling overwhelmed with regret thinking over all the opportunities I missed hahaha. But you're exactly right and I'm glad things worked out so well for you awww
    Thank you!

Don't focus on the opportunities you've missed in the past, they're gone now. Focus on allowing yourself to capitalise on any opportunities in future. In regards to relationships, if you approached someone and they just said no outright, fuck that person - if they're not willing to give you a chance, you're probably a lot better off without them!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    416 times
    Time Online
    50d 2h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    I personally haven't done it, merely because I tend to avoid people in public..lol. That being said, at school I will sometimes try to talk to people, maybe because of the environment we are in or whatever but I feel like I have a higher chance there, than anywhere else.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cub For This Useful Post:

Sick (07-12-2014)