54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 22h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 59m

Does prejudice define a person?

I didn't know where to put this...but basically I was studying for my English exam and Prejudice/Discrimination is one of the main themes of the entire course.

As I was making notes, I was writing about Portia (from The Merchant of Venice) and how she is so witty, selfless, kind, etc (even other characters call her 'saintly' and 'God given') but she is ultimately racist and therefore immediately rejects Prince Morocco who is black.

I wrote:

Prejudice/Discrimination
    Portia reveals that she is ultimately racist against black people, despite her witty and selfless character. This proves that prejudice is very irrelevant to

..And then I stopped when I realized I didn't know what it was proving.

This got me wondering...do you think prejudices are entirely separate from who we are/characters in general? I kinda dont wanna screw up my understanding

TBH I have no idea how to study for an English exam fuck
    Last edited by Maki; 06-17-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    319 times
    Time Online
    4d 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    i've always thought that prejudices were part of a person's character, it doesn't define them, but rather is part of them, and i say part because prejudices can be changed.
    just report it and ignore it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J_L_K_64 For This Useful Post:

Maki (06-17-2013),wrath (06-17-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Prejudices can be changed. I have to admit growing up I was raised to almost fear black people. But then I went to a predominately black high school and became friends with many black folks and hell, I haven't dated a white girl now seriously since 2007. But yeah, it definitely is part of one's character and I cannot stand racists to be honest.

My biological dad on my ex that I had for four years: (Warning, potentially offensive)

I moved out of his house the same day he said that to me and haven't talked to him since.

Pronouns
    minty/fresh
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 22h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 59m
    Okay, thank you I guess that makes sense. IMO, I think it mostly depends on the severity of how they act on it?

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Federation View Post
    Prejudices can be changed. I have to admit growing up I was raised to almost fear black people. But then I went to a predominately black high school and became friends with many black folks and hell, I haven't dated a white girl now seriously since 2007. But yeah, it definitely is part of one's character and I cannot stand racists to be honest.

My biological dad on my ex that I had for four years: (Warning, potentially offensive)

I moved out of his house the same day he said that to me and haven't talked to him since.
    So do you think prejudices are a flaw within the self?

edit
    Prejudice/Discrimination
    Portia reveals that she is ultimately racist against black people, despite her witty and selfless character. Her ignorance regarding black people prove to be her tragic flaw.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    18d 16h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I don't think prejudices define a person - I think it is their experiences as a person that defines their prejudices.

Perhaps they've never been fortunate enough to know any better, or perhaps their upbringing renders them incapable of being open minded. A racist isn't necessarily stupid and perhaps can even still be as kind or courteous as Portia supposedly is - but even the most educated of people can still be ignorant and judgmental of other people and other cultures. What of Portia's surroundings? Are the same people who call her saintly and god-given also racist or unfamiliar with foreign customs/people? I can't be sure as I've never read the book, but considering and interpreting that might help you make your point.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daenery For This Useful Post:

Drizzy (06-17-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    319 times
    Time Online
    4d 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    well i'm a simple man with mostly simple thoughts, one of those thoughts is that every single person on the planet is racist, to an extent.

that being said, not everyone acts on those prejudices, most ignore them, lie to themselves saying they're not there, etc etc but the way i see things, everyone is prejudiced to a degree/racist to a degree (i know they are 2 different things, but i'm using them interchangeably just for my ramblings)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorn View Post
    I don't think prejudices define a person - I think it is their experiences as a person that defines their prejudices.

Perhaps they've never been fortunate enough to know any better, or perhaps their upbringing renders them incapable of being open minded. A racist isn't necessarily stupid and perhaps can even still be as kind or courteous as Portia supposedly is - but even the most educated of people can still be ignorant and judgmental of other people and other cultures. What of Portia's surroundings? Are the same people who call her saintly and god-given also racist or unfamiliar with foreign customs/people? I can't be sure as I've never read the book, but considering and interpreting that might help you make your point.
    I'm intrigued by your view on this. I mean that sounds reasonable enough, but would you also agree that there are racists who are racists just because they can be? I mean, I've seen a lot of hate-based actions in school and the outside world that just make me cringe. And you look at these people and there's no good reason in my opinion. Experiences or not.

I totally get your view though. My step-dad's mom comes to mind. She's a sweet good ol' gal from a small town here in hicksville, Iowa, and she's not openly racist, but behind closed doors she still discriminates, just not to the extent that the type of people I'm talking about take it.. i.e derogatory words, signs, ideas, thoughts, etc.

@(you need an account to see links) So do you think prejudices are a flaw within the self?
    I think mine specifically was a nurture issue. My mom grew up in the 70's and went to a predominately black school as well, but things aren't the same as they are now. She had bad experiences and educated and told me about them, and that's just the way it was. I had to have my own experiences to change my opinion. Now I just look back and think it's funny how ignorant and misinformed I was.

Pronouns
    minty/fresh
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 22h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 59m
    @(you need an account to see links)

So basically, like, the people who dont act on it/lie to themselves are more 'good' than someone who acts on it, right?
    (I mean...well, yeah- at this point though, I think I'm just coming up with more rhetorical/obvious questions as I feel that some part of this is common sense lol)

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Federation View Post
    I'm intrigued by your view on this. I mean that sounds reasonable enough, but would you also agree that there are racists who are racists just because they can be? I mean, I've seen a lot of hate-based actions in school and the outside world that just make me cringe. And you look at these people and there's no good reason in my opinion. Experiences or not.

I totally get your view though. My step-dad's mom comes to mind. She's a sweet good ol' gal from a small town here in hicksville, Iowa, and she's not openly racist, but behind closed doors she still discriminates, just not to the extent that the type of people I'm talking about take it.. i.e derogatory words, signs, ideas, thoughts, etc.

@(you need an account to see links) So do you think prejudices are a flaw within the self?
    I think mine specifically was a nurture issue. My mom grew up in the 70's and went to a predominately black school as well, but things aren't the same as they are now. She had bad experiences and educated and told me about them, and that's just the way it was. I had to have my own experiences to change my opinion. Now I just look back and think it's funny how ignorant and misinformed I was.
    Okay, so like Lorn said, the experiences/surroundings give birth to prejudiced people.
    & Yes, Lorrie, this is in the Elizabethan times, so everyone is very prejudiced

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post

So basically, like, the people who dont act on it/lie to themselves are more 'good' than someone who acts on it, right?
    (I mean...well, yeah- at this point though, I think I'm just coming up with more rhetorical/obvious questions as I feel that some part of this is common sense lol)
    Personally I respect someone more who is a closet-racist than a public racist. I don't know if that makes them a better person or not.

I feel like when someone is publicly racist they are expressing their opinion. And when someone expresses their opinion to me, I generally feel the need to express my opinion. And since I am pretty passionate, it gets heated fairly quickly. -_-

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wrath For This Useful Post:

Maki (06-17-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    319 times
    Time Online
    4d 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post

"good" and "bad" are just words, "right" "wrong" words, just words, the way i see things is how you affect the people around you, physically and emotionally

personally, i like it when people are not racist, but that's never gunna realistically happen, everyone is different and have their own points of view/morals so i don't hope for a whole hell of a lot anymore

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J_L_K_64 For This Useful Post:

Maki (06-17-2013),wrath (06-17-2013)