Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Suicide : is it ever justifiable?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/1
    Mentioned
    562 times
    Time Online
    118d 6h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    My brother killed himself when he was 18 it was a traumatic time and none of my family where ever the same again. However he left no note and it was very sudden , we have never known if he did commit suicide or took a accidental overdose as he did suffer with headaches alot. I do not think this is the case however but thats just speculation we can never be sure and listening to all my family members playing out the possible storys for months after his death really annoyed me.

Suicide can never be jusified , the impact it has on other people messes there life up to. For instance , I found my brother dead when he commited suicide I was 14 at the time you can imagine how this messed with my head. So I had a long time of school , I did not want to face people (my brother was only 18 himself alot of people at school knew him). By the time I was ready to go back I had missed so much school I was told I could never get a decent gsce grade as 60% of it was course work over the year and 40% was actual exams. So I got no qualifications from school , pretty much had no reason to finish either just stayed home and thats when I learnt to program as a kind of release from it all.

Don't know if that changes anyone's view this is just my experience of it , there are instances such as chronic illness or huge suffering where I change my view however.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    On the main topic, yes it can be justifiable. Some people live in such terrible conditions in the world, that suicide is a lot better option than continuing. Sure you can try and improve your life, but imagine being a 30 year old high school drop out with no home. I'd rather die on the streets than live on my knees.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    13m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Having gone through depression myself, I will say that it is definitely justifiable.

Some people say it's a selfish act.
    But what can be more selfish than a family member/etc forcing someone to continue to 'live' a life that is constant suffering, just because you don't want them to leave you?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I believe there are many times where suicide is courageous, for example, the self-immolation of the Buddhist monk in Saigon that led to the end of the oppression of Buddhists under a new Christian government leadership.

Suicide is the easy way out; a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Those are the main lines against suicide, but suicide is also a strong statement that can be used in political agendas. Ghandi once fast himself near death in order to stop British laws which unfairly affected the people of India. Had he continued for another week, he would have certainly died. The threat of suicide and political backlash saved his people from many massacres and stopped a potential war that India was starting against Britain, a war that they would have surely lost.

For those who commit it, they do so because they no longer see any solution better than suicide. And, when there really are no other solutions, for what reason should a person stay alive?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    89/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    6d 22h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Suicide only happens when a person who is severely depressed, wants to end his pain then takes his/her life away. I my opinion suicide is not a justifiable option, there are always other means so that you can get help, ending life because of depression is just too cheap. God has a plan, if we love and respect God then we will not break his will. In conclusion this all depends on the situation, there are too many factors to consider.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    1d 3h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Suicide doesn't mean you have to be depressed and are too coward to stand up again, Suicide can be justifiable like its been happening so much in the movies, a guy gets himself killed to save others, a mother save her child giving her life things like that are suicide too.

However suicide just because to quit on life/depressed state isn't justifiable everyone can have a reason to live.. you'll eventually die whats the point of dying by your own decision unless you wanna die like that, not like you're gonna experience anything after death generally speaking no offense to people's beliefs.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    38/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    14d 20h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Honestly, to me, I see it as if a person even thought about suicide (much less, attempted & succeeded with it) the world is better off without them. Why? Because the world is no place for a weak person - as heartless as this sounds, life and aspects of life are tough, it's not about to get easier. I know what it's like to want to kill yourself or live with things that tear you apart, but it's about moving past them and making the best out of what you have.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    164 times
    Time Online
    90d 19h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    31m
    Sorry to interrupt but anyone hear about Amanda Todd?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    2h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Wow, it's interesting to see everyones opinions on this. I may not agree with some of what was said, but I do see where everyone is coming from.

I had a friend, who literally was so messed up, that I truly thought that suicide was the only thing in this world that would make him happy. That being said, I never told him that, because clearly the selfish part of me wanted to keep him around always. If he had actually gone through with it, I would never consider him a coward. I thought he was the strongest person in the world for waking up every morning hating himself, and his life, but trying to put on a brave face for the rest of the world. There was no "getting over it" for him. When you have that many issues, no amount of drugs, (aside from maybe a relaxant for elephants, that wouldn't solve anything, just make you not feel a single thing for the rest of your life) can make things better.

No matter the reasoning, some people are born a little different than most. Between the constant reminder that they're different by peers/bullies/parents/teachers/etc, and the lonliness and hopelessness; it's hard to see the point in living. Suicide is probably the least selfish action, when that person truly cannot be cured. Asking them to stick around... That's the only selfish part. How do you ask/guilt someone who can't stand being in their own body/mind, to stay in this world where there is clearly nothing for them here, to stay living solely because YOU would miss them? If someone is really thinking about suicide, and it's not just a spur of the moment thing... Think about all the thoughts they have to endure every day:
    "How am I going to do it?" - They literally spend hours and hours thinking about how they're going to end their own life. I don't care who you are, that isn't a walk in the park to think about.
    "Who am I going to affect?" - In some regard, some of you guys are right by saying they don't think of the people they're leaving behind. It's not that they're not thinking about how you'll feel, it's they feel like no one would miss them, if they were gone. If someone felt like they had tons of people who cared for them and loved them, and felt wanted and secure... Why would they want to end their life in the first place? (Minus the few crazy people who just do it for some form of attention.) Usually, it's the lonely feelings that overwhelm them, as to why they want to just slip away...
    "What's it like to die?"
    "Will things be better for me, if I go for the big sleep? Or is there actually a God, and will I burn in Hell for killing myself? If by chance there is Heaven and Hell, will it be worse than living here?"
    The list goes on and on!

Suicide for most people isn't an easy solution. I don't think you're giving the victims enough credit. Being over-powered by your own thoughts... That's a scary situation. Being on countless drugs so you're a living zombie, just so you can pretend you're thinking normal thoughts like everyone else... That's a horrible life to live. Leaving everything YOU care about, regardless of if you feel they care back... Can't be an easy choice.

------

All that being said, I really don't think that ALL the cases of suicide were to the extreme explained up there. For most people, depression starts with something small, that snowballs. There is no way to just "get over it", if you're actually depressed. You can't just wake up one morning no longer upset by the things that depressed you the day before. With help, and the proper guidance, though, it can be over-come before it gets to the point of no return. But its in times of depression when people need the most help from others, even if they're too stubborn to admit it. When you have a strong friend/family base, it's easy to get the help you so desperately need... But put yourself in someones shoes who has no one. Who is faced everyday with just people who look down on them, or tease them, or bully them, or make their life harder than it needs to be. When you are in such a low spot, and you need someone to be that light at the end of the tunnel, but no one comes... don't expect them to make it out of the tunnel.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PrincessParker For This Useful Post:

Lucy (10-15-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    89/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    6d 22h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by redfeeniks View Post
    Suicide doesn't mean you have to be depressed and are too coward to stand up again, Suicide can be justifiable like its been happening so much in the movies, a guy gets himself killed to save others, a mother save her child giving her life things like that are suicide too.

However suicide just because to quit on life/depressed state isn't justifiable everyone can have a reason to live.. you'll eventually die whats the point of dying by your own decision unless you wanna die like that, not like you're gonna experience anything after death generally speaking no offense to people's beliefs.
    I believe that dying out of sacrifice is not suicide, as you know those who sacrifice do not know if they will live after the sacrifice has been done. For example a mother will give her life for her child, but sometimes with an unknown intervention they both live. Just to clarify, dying because of sacrifice might be considered an accident, it is also considered being brave and being a hero. While most suicide are considered cowardly.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessParker View Post
    Wow, it's interesting to see everyones opinions on this. I may not agree with some of what was said, but I do see where everyone is coming from.

I had a friend, who literally was so messed up, that I truly thought that suicide was the only thing in this world that would make him happy. That being said, I never told him that, because clearly the selfish part of me wanted to keep him around always. If he had actually gone through with it, I would never consider him a coward. I thought he was the strongest person in the world for waking up every morning hating himself, and his life, but trying to put on a brave face for the rest of the world. There was no "getting over it" for him. When you have that many issues, no amount of drugs, (aside from maybe a relaxant for elephants, that wouldn't solve anything, just make you not feel a single thing for the rest of your life) can make things better.

No matter the reasoning, some people are born a little different than most. Between the constant reminder that they're different by peers/bullies/parents/teachers/etc, and the lonliness and hopelessness; it's hard to see the point in living. Suicide is probably the least selfish action, when that person truly cannot be cured. Asking them to stick around... That's the only selfish part. How do you ask/guilt someone who can't stand being in their own body/mind, to stay in this world where there is clearly nothing for them here, to stay living solely because YOU would miss them? If someone is really thinking about suicide, and it's not just a spur of the moment thing... Think about all the thoughts they have to endure every day:
    "How am I going to do it?" - They literally spend hours and hours thinking about how they're going to end their own life. I don't care who you are, that isn't a walk in the park to think about.
    "Who am I going to affect?" - In some regard, some of you guys are right by saying they don't think of the people they're leaving behind. It's not that they're not thinking about how you'll feel, it's they feel like no one would miss them, if they were gone. If someone felt like they had tons of people who cared for them and loved them, and felt wanted and secure... Why would they want to end their life in the first place? (Minus the few crazy people who just do it for some form of attention.) Usually, it's the lonely feelings that overwhelm them, as to why they want to just slip away...
    "What's it like to die?"
    "Will things be better for me, if I go for the big sleep? Or is there actually a God, and will I burn in Hell for killing myself? If by chance there is Heaven and Hell, will it be worse than living here?"
    The list goes on and on!

Suicide for most people isn't an easy solution. I don't think you're giving the victims enough credit. Being over-powered by your own thoughts... That's a scary situation. Being on countless drugs so you're a living zombie, just so you can pretend you're thinking normal thoughts like everyone else... That's a horrible life to live. Leaving everything YOU care about, regardless of if you feel they care back... Can't be an easy choice.

------

All that being said, I really don't think that ALL the cases of suicide were to the extreme explained up there. For most people, depression starts with something small, that snowballs. There is no way to just "get over it", if you're actually depressed. You can't just wake up one morning no longer upset by the things that depressed you the day before. With help, and the proper guidance, though, it can be over-come before it gets to the point of no return. But its in times of depression when people need the most help from others, even if they're too stubborn to admit it. When you have a strong friend/family base, it's easy to get the help you so desperately need... But put yourself in someones shoes who has no one. Who is faced everyday with just people who look down on them, or tease them, or bully them, or make their life harder than it needs to be. When you are in such a low spot, and you need someone to be that light at the end of the tunnel, but no one comes... don't expect them to make it out of the tunnel.
    I would suggest that you try giving your friend an alternative, perhaps a more powerful force than that of drugs/therapy/family. I myself believe that my love for God is enough for me not to commit suicide. Perhaps you can persuade your friend's heart and slowly but surely things will change for him. I believe that God loves everyone whether you are loved/hated, all that is needed is a good persuasion of the heart. Good luck...