50/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    104d 6h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii View Post
    & I'd like to point out that people with them can (& still do) get sick, too. People without them are not solely responsible for epidemics. The reason I'm not vaccinated is not related to religion or fear of autism. I'm just not. You don't have to like it, but it's still not your place to tell other people to do with their kids.
    It is our place to tell people what to do with their kids. Why in the world is it justified for someone to not vaccinate their kids? First off, they're going to get things much worse than autism. I understand that may not be the reason why you're not vaccinated, but it's the reason so many other people aren't. Some people try not to vaccinate their kids for anything. Guess what that means they can get? Measles, polio, smallpox, and so much more. All of these were either eradicated from the US or almost completely eradicated. All of them can destroy someone's life. If someone who isn't vaccinated for measles contracts it and spreads it to a newborn baby who can't even get the vaccine, then that is just plain stupidity. How would you feel if you were exposed and gave it to children who couldn't even defend themselves? How would you feel if they then proceeded to die or have life-long consequences just because you didn't get vaccinated? That's fucking selfish and no one deserves to have the right to choose not to vaccinate their kid for diseases of this sort.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to learningtoneopet1 For This Useful Post:

baileaf (02-12-2015),Jessica (02-13-2015),spleef35 (02-19-2015)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    71 times
    Time Online
    20d 18h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I'm so done with this debate

I'm a nurse

I see the damage that the attitudes of the anti-vaccine movement is doing, ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

If you had an immunocompromised kid, such as one with an immune disorder, one who was going through chemo, or one who was on immunosuppressant drugs due to a recent transplant, would you want to be waving them around unvaccinated children who are potential carriers of e.g. measles? No. Measles kills, and measles definitely kills immunocompromised people. I have worked with the immunocompromised and they are so goddamn fragile. Any parent who chooses to opt out of the MMR scheme is a direct threat to these people's safety.

Anyway, here are some useful resources before I blow my fucking stack:

(you need an account to see links)

i'm back baybeeee | nfi what i'm doing tho

avatar/signature images from a erwin/levi sfw doujin by hakodume/tama;
    their pixiv is sadly deactivated

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to icebox For This Useful Post:

baileaf (02-12-2015),Dipper (03-05-2015),Jessica (02-13-2015),learningtoneopet1 (02-12-2015),spleef35 (02-19-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    98 times
    Time Online
    12d 10h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    My small input... That I saw somewhere else...

"My kid can't bring peanut butter to school... Why can yours bring measles?"

On that note, my son is vaccinated. Before he was old enough for vaccines his cousin got him sick and he got RSV. That can kill an infant. Imagine it was whooping cough? I'm pro-vaccine, but to each their own.
    I love other Jess even tho I log in like twice a year

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessica For This Useful Post:

Charlie (02-17-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    49/0
    Mentioned
    35 times
    Time Online
    7d 21h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    #1 get your kid fucking vaccinated
    #2 if you were worried about having an autistic child, maybe you should have done research before you got knocked up

someone linked (you need an account to see links) here a while back and i cried laughing, and have been sharing it with everyone.
    >

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Virus For This Useful Post:

baileaf (02-14-2015),icebox (02-14-2015),Jessica (02-13-2015),spleef35 (02-19-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    2d 4h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    the anti vaccine movement pisses me off. get your kid vaccinated for fucks sake! if you don't not only are they at risk for catching things, other kids are too and as icebox said, things like measles can KILL kids with immune disorders! not getting your kid vaccinated=irresponsible parenting imo.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tf4trftf43 For This Useful Post:

Jessica (02-17-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    292 times
    Time Online
    145d 13h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
    My small input... That I saw somewhere else...

"My kid can't bring peanut butter to school... Why can yours bring measles?"

On that note, my son is vaccinated. Before he was old enough for vaccines his cousin got him sick and he got RSV. That can kill an infant. Imagine it was whooping cough? I'm pro-vaccine, but to each their own.
    That quote.. I LOVE IT! It's so true. We protect other kids from their allergies, so we should also protect kids from other illnesses. Thank you for sharing

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

Jessica (02-17-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    33m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I have researched this issue for some time and I find anyone who gives a little bit of self investigation can come to a pretty reasonable understanding. I do believe Vaccinations are important for deadly or incurable infections such as polio. However giving a child Hep B when they are so young is unwise and should not be given until at least 12-15 years of age. I believe that with the HPV Vac too. Measles is a viral infection but the death rate is very minimal so one has to assume what the risks vs benefits are. I also think vaccinations should be spread out more during childhood rather than getting 3-5 shots all in one day. The shots should spread out over two years. One cannot argue the great benefit from Vaccinations but I also think we shouldn't ignore the health concern of over vaccinating children/adults.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hey5forum For This Useful Post:

Jessica (02-18-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    2d 7h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    My feeling is this: There is no scientific reason not to vaccinate your children. Period.

What infuriates me, is the people who believe the bogus "study" that claims vaccines cause autism. I live with autism every day, and no one has any business telling me where I got autism from, aside from legitimate neuroscientists and neurologists who have studied autism first-hand. It is passed to our children through genetics. The cause of autism spectrum disorders is an enlarged amygdala (the amygdala continues to grow past the age when it should have stopped growing), and some abnormalities in the frontal lobe. Think of it like this: The amygdala is the emotional epicenter of the human brain. So an enlarged amygdala will produce more emotions. The amygdala also sits up against the sensory and motor cortexes, so that sensory experiences and motor experiences can be associated with emotion. In my case, I get an "emotional high" from painting with oils and watercolors. I also cannot be touched by other people, because the sensation is either painful, or feels like I have bugs crawling on me.

I appreciate parents doing research, I really do. But I think our culture, at least in the United States, has developed "perfect parent" syndrome. Everything from parents accusing other parents of child abuse on facebook (when they have done NOTHING wrong), to the parents who put other people's kids at risk because they think they know better than doctors. This is not research, this is paranoia and stupidity.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Icebox View Post
    I'm so done with this debate

I'm a nurse

I see the damage that the attitudes of the anti-vaccine movement is doing, ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

If you had an immunocompromised kid, such as one with an immune disorder, one who was going through chemo, or one who was on immunosuppressant drugs due to a recent transplant, would you want to be waving them around unvaccinated children who are potential carriers of e.g. measles? No. Measles kills, and measles definitely kills immunocompromised people. I have worked with the immunocompromised and they are so goddamn fragile. Any parent who chooses to opt out of the MMR scheme is a direct threat to these people's safety.

Anyway, here are some useful resources before I blow my fucking stack:

Thank you.
    EEL SUSHI

16. The Following User Says Thank You to spleef35 For This Useful Post:

Jessica (02-20-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    2d 7h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Munna View Post
    I think the whole vaccination thing honestly should be happening for children of a certain age (ones for extreme sickness and disease), but I did hear horrible things about that Guardacil (is that even how you spell it haha) and with doctors coming forward saying that had knowledge that the vaccine did in fact have adverse effects on young girls.

I don't know, I think all of the pro-vaccine arguments make much more sense for the health and safety of our children, but I am such a conspiracy/government paranoid mess and I think all of these articles and people are just lying to us for their better interest or money. I don't know why I think nothing is true on the internet anymore, take that up with my therapist lol
    I have the Gardasil vaccine. The fact that we have a vaccine to combat cervical cancer is incredible. There have been adverse effects, yes, but I would rather take that tiny chance than put my body at risk for getting cervical cancer, which is deadly.

Some women who have gotten the vaccine believe it means they don't have to go see an OB GYN anymore. That's irresponsible. Granted, I don't go unless I am actively dating, but anyone who is hypersensitive, has autism or other reasons for being uncomfortable with having their body touched, can probably understand why I avoid PAP tests. This topic right here, is one of many reasons people used not to get the Gardasil vaccine.
    EEL SUSHI

18. The Following User Says Thank You to spleef35 For This Useful Post:

Jessica (02-20-2015)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    104d 6h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    I heard a lady say yesterday how her kid with down syndrome got it because of a vaccine... I tried to explain to her how it was a result of an extra chromosome in the 21st set, and she just looked at me like I was an idiot. Completely ignorant people will get nowhere...

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to learningtoneopet1 For This Useful Post:

baileaf (02-20-2015),Jessica (02-20-2015),spleef35 (02-22-2015)