Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gender identities / sexualities?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    2d 3h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Female, 70% straight, 30% bisexual. If that can even happen. Oh wait, it can cause it's my personal definition of me
    Tutti fcking frutti

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    2d 9h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sociopath View Post
    It sounds rude and impersonal. I don't think you realize how rude it potentially is to some people.

To call someone "they" is just rude to me.
    The thing is, nobody's asking you to use the pronoun 'they' for/about yourself. If they were, I'd see where you were coming from, but... they're not. At all. The only time rudeness comes into it is this - if somebody tells you that 'they' is their preferred word, then it would be rude of you not to use it.

This might sound a little blunt to you by the sounds of things, but I don't really know how else to phrase it. It's just nobody else's business what other people use as their pronouns. You might well think it sounds rude and impersonal, and you're entitled to that view - but obviously the person doesn't, because it's what they've chosen to be called. Their choice of word to refer to themself doesn't affect you in any way, shape or form, so... it doesn't actually matter whether you think it's rude. It's just not a factor.

I mean... put the boot on the other foot. Say you met somebody who didn't believe in gender at all, and they refused to say 'she' when referring to you because they think it's incredibly rude. Instead they'd call you 'they', so as not to be rude in their own eyes. I'm sure you wouldn't like it, right?

tl;dr Please use people's preferred pronouns regardless of what you think of them. Please, please, please. It won't make a difference to you, I swear.

Quote Originally Posted by Raj View Post
    @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links)

I did some searching up about this whole deal on reddit and tumblr trying to see your viewpoints since you all called me ignorant about it, and stumbled upon this:

(you need an account to see links)

OP summed up my exact views on it and that's how I feel about it. I read all the comments trying to change his view and I didn't understand it still. I've tried to understand it beyond this, so i dont see how yall accuse me of ignorance, I genuinely don't get it
    I can't speak for other people, but I actually never once called you ignorant, or implied that you were, so... I'm not sure where that's come from.

If you genuinely don't understand, then of course that's fine. I mean, realistically, you don't actually need to understand the idea of non-binary genders in order to respect non-binary people. It only becomes a problem if you start to believe that because you, personally, don't understand it, then it isn't real or valid. I don't understand how the Hadron Collider works, but I still believe that it exists. I don't have to comprehend exactly how it works in order to acknowledge its existence. You just have to kind of remind yourself that you're not omniscient. You don't know everything, you don't have every experience in your head, and there are some things that exist that you're just not going to be able to empathise with. That's just how it is.

(I know the Hadron Collider thing isn't exactly transferable. It was just an easy way to explain. A more appropriate example would maybe be this: my sister has a phobia of strands of hair so strong that they make her gag if she touches one. I have absolutely no comprehension of how you could react so strongly to something so common. I don't get it at all - but the thing is, she does feel like that. It makes not one jot of difference that I can't see what's so awful about hair. She DOES have this phobia. She DOES react that way. I just have to accept that we're wired differently and that's how it is.)

The important thing is always just to respect other people. If you don't understand non-binary people and you privately think it's made up, then... Well, I disagree with you, but we won't change your mind. Nor do we really have the right to - but regardless of what you think, it doesn't hurt to use the pronouns that people ask you to use. It doesn't hurt to stop yourself from saying 'sorry, but that's bullshit' out loud. And the thing is? It really DOES hurt other people if you deliberately use the wrong pronouns, suggest somebody is 'really a female' or say that their identity is made up for attention.

And seeing as you've brought up the word ignorant, though I hadn't used it - here's what I'd call fair notice. If you continued to do those things even now that you've read all this and seen how it hurts people? Yes, that would be ignorant. It would also be inconsiderate and rude.

Ooh - and @(you need an account to see links)? I agree that it's not justifiable to get angry at somebody for not knowing what 'fae' or 'bun' or any alternate pronoun is. After all, most people have no idea that they even exist. I actually think you'd be hard-pressed to find a queer person who uses 'fae', for example, who would immediately yell at somebody for never having heard of it before. That is not something I have ever, ever seen happen; in fact, I'd go so far as to say it's something of a queer straw man invented to be introduced in discussions like this, because I've only ever seen varying degrees of patience. Admittedly some of that patience was spread quite thin, but even so!

Far more likely would be for a queer person to get angry because somebody refused to use the pronoun after it was explained to them, or called it ridiculous etc. - and that's a totally different kettle of fish. A lot of people believe in fighting fire with fire, after all...

Think I covered everything. Sorry if no :c

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Quinto For This Useful Post:

angeldust (05-09-2014),Banannie (05-13-2014),Eed (03-11-2015),Lilacs (05-15-2014),♥ Munna ♥ (01-23-2015),Q*bert (05-09-2014),rat (05-10-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    40d 7h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I don't know the acronyms but, I identify myself as a straight female who would do an open relationship, but love one person at a time.
    I don't really know about all the different types of sexualities out there, but everyone's okay in my book as long as they leave the animals and children alone.

Have a bunch of gay friends, one trans friend who's a furry (is that a sexuality or just lifestyle or something?) and an asexual friend. Their sexuality and gender preference never comes up in conversation very often.

I had no idea there were so many different sexual and gender identities out there. Makes sense, sexuality in the animal kingdom is so varied, why wouldn't it be for humans as well?

Don't have a whole lot to say on the matter. I'm glad you all know who you are and feel as though you can be yourselves, that's important. Wonder what things will be identified as 30 years down the road?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Banannie For This Useful Post:

angeldust (05-13-2014),QueenNothing (05-13-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    20h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Preferred gender pronoun: male
    Orientation: gay

I'm surprised at how gender queer this forum is, awesome

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    9d 3h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    i'm a cis female & pansexual. <3 (I like cooking equipment A LOT. ehehe. lame overused joke. ;D)
    The way I describe pansexuality to other people is "being able to love or sleep with someone regardless of genitals or gender identification."
    but sometimes I just say bisexual if i'm feeling to tired to explain/don't want super funny looks.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    12d 16h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    female, pansexual~

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    4d 21h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Female. Heteroflexible.

As far as the whole pronoun thing is concerned, I will use he/she pronouns unless someone tells me that they prefer different. The way I think of it, it's like me asking people to call me by my middle name instead of my first name. If someone messes it up every once in awhile, it's no big deal, but if someone continually calls me by my first name even though they know I go by my middle name, it gets annoying. I should be allowed to use whatever name I want to identify myself, so why wouldn't I stop anyone else from being identified the way that they want to. It doesn't take any extra effort on your part to call me by my middle name instead of my first.

There is one thing in the reddit post that @(you need an account to see links) posted that I agree with, which is I wish there was just one set of alternative pronouns. Zhe / zir are the ones that I'm familiar seeing and I would have no problem using those pronouns (although I don't know if I would know how to pronounce them correctly...), but there are far TOO many pronouns that people wish to be known by that it can start to get annoying when people want to be known by their personal preferred pronouns. Don't even get me started on otherkins.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    2d 16h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Genderfluid, leaning more towards male. He / she, I couldn't care less, as long as it's respectful
    Sexuality is overly extremely abundantly gaaaaaayy.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    7d 11h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I'm a female and identify myself as such, my sexuality is heterosexual but I guess you could call me bi-curious. I'm not bi-sexual, but I can be attracted to other girls but not in a romantic way.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    57/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    6d 6h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Female, slightly Bi-curious here. But I love my boyfriend to death.