Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    7d 10h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

Battling Depression?

Is anyone suffering from or overcome depression?
    What do you do to just get your mind off of everything?
    How did you find help?

I had it 6 years ago, for 2 years straight then on and off till 4 years later.
    I finally felt happy with myself, where I was, everything.
    Now everything has started to go downhill again and its back, worse than before.
    Medicine didn't help and I feel as if there's nothing to improve my current situation.
    I really would like to talk to someone who can relate.
    I've got no one to talk to that understands what it's like, I'm tired of being laughed at, picked on, or cut off every time I try to talk to someone about it.
    So I decided to just keep to myself.. /.\

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    I had troubles with depression about 10-12 years ago. If you need to just vent to someone who won't judge, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    7d 10h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Thank you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chu For This Useful Post:

Mama Bear (01-16-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    208 times
    Time Online
    98d 13h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    I've had depression for 12 years now non stop. It's hellish and worse when nobody around you knows what it's like. Being told you're lazy only makes it worse too.

I'm not tackling mine particularly well but I know that shutting yourself off isn't the way to go. Talking to people is hard as hell when they all seem to know more about how you feel than you do (air quotes), but don't shut yourself off completely. It's harder to go it alone.

I'm not really good with advice at all, but if you wanna shout to the void or anything you can send me a pm. I know talking to strangers is weird for people, I personally don't like talking about my issues directly to a stranger myself but I dunno. Some people find it kinda easy.

I guess the most I've got in terms of advice is don't let it consume you either. You got out of it once you can do it again. Submitting to it is so easy but it makes it so much harder to get out of it. I let myself slip about 2 years ago and I haven't been able to get out of this shitty rut since then.

Also like everyone says this but for real man try yoga lmao my friend got me into doing yoga with her over Skype and it feels so refreshing. Probably some biology bullshit involved with that but all I know is it's stopped me from thinking about death on more than one occasion so it's magic.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mindfang For This Useful Post:

Chu (01-20-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    48/0
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    5d 6h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I'm still struggling with depression to this day, started 3 years ago, I'm off meds right now, and I'm doing slightly better then before. If you ever want to talk PM me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Xiloscient For This Useful Post:

Chu (01-20-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I have been struggling with it for I don't know 10+ years. There are good days and bad and worse but I manage. I'm not the type that responds well to "tell me how that makes you feel, tell me the emotions you feel"...I'm not an open talkative person so I have never bothered to try therapy. I can tell you that it does help immensely for certain people though. Some people need that professional outlet and it works absolute wonders. For me personally I know I would not respond to it.

However this site is great for being able to vent. I have let out some things that do bother me and the response here is nothing but open arms. At the very least you can talk to any one of us and we will be your venting outlet. We may not have professional answers but we will certainly be here to listen. And that is often a hard thing to find.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Chu (01-20-2016),Zachafer (01-21-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    1d 5h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I agree with @(you need an account to see links), yoga is fantabulous. I've had severed anxiety and bouts of depression since I was 11.

Medicine sucks, and makes me feel like a zombie. I weaned myself off and just became good friends with my therapist instead. Not for everyone, but it the therapy worked 100% on me.

I'm kinda "over the hill" with my things now, I can handle them. Now I just take care of my bf who has sever depression. You're not alone OP, and I like many others would gladly help you. Feel free to vent to me anytime

12. The Following User Says Thank You to xohsosuper For This Useful Post:

Chu (01-20-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    74/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    17d 20h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Let me just start by saying, you are worthy, you are valuable, and there are people who love you. It sometimes may feel like there's no one that cares, or no one will listen, but I assure you with my entire heart that there is SOMEONE who adores you. Depression is worth fighting. You have an entire life to live, and this demon WILL die.

My best advice to you would be to just let that shit out. Sometimes there really is nothing anyone can do to lift you into a better mood. You just have to cry it out. It's okay to cry. It's not weakness. It's actually a sign of how strong you have been up to this point. Going through depression is so fucking hard. It eats you alive from the inside out. Sometimes you just have to submit to it, and just fucking cry.

Also, get rid of toxicity. I REPEAT, GET. RID. OF. TOX. IC. ITY!!! Even if you have feelings for something/someone, if it/they trigger your depression, drop that shit like a bad habit. Get rid of it at all cost. It will never allow you to recover. This is the most crucial.

The last piece of advice I could give you is to surround yourself with positivity. This one is actually the hardest part, because positivity is the antithesis of depression...but it is so essential. Listen to corny, happy songs. Hang out with your best friend. Write corny quotes all over your walls, etc. Especially things that talk about loving yourself! Those are the best and most essential. You must begin to love yourself. You are worthy of being loved!! Do not allow your depression to convince you otherwise.

During my depression, I could never allow myself to appear vulnerable, so I wouldn't talk to anyone about it. But I swear it would have made my recovery so much quicker. So PLEASE....if you can...talk to someone! It doesn't have to be a professional. Just someone who loves you. Or anyone who will listen. Sometimes that's all we need. Is someone who will listen. They don't even have to offer advice, or something that will actually help. But someone who will just listen to with an open ear, and actually cares about what we have to say. After all, depression convinces us that we don't have anything worthwhile to say. But I promise you, you do have something worthwhile to say, and there are people who will listen.

Long in short...there is a reason you are here. There is a purpose for your existence. You can, and will overcome your depression. You are worthy of love. You just need to convince YOURSELF.

Like everyone else has said...I am always open to talk to you. I may not know you personally, but if you just need someone who will listen with an open mind and an open heart, please message me.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caylen For This Useful Post:

Chu (01-20-2016),DJ Music Man (01-17-2016),Maison (01-17-2016),teddy (01-20-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    7d 10h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelin View Post
    Let me just start by saying, you are worthy, you are valuable, and there are people who love you. It sometimes may feel like there's no one that cares, or no one will listen, but I assure you with my entire heart that there is SOMEONE who adores you. Depression is worth fighting. You have an entire life to live, and this demon WILL die.

My best advice to you would be to just let that shit out. Sometimes there really is nothing anyone can do to lift you into a better mood. You just have to cry it out. It's okay to cry. It's not weakness. It's actually a sign of how strong you have been up to this point. Going through depression is so fucking hard. It eats you alive from the inside out. Sometimes you just have to submit to it, and just fucking cry.

Also, get rid of toxicity. I REPEAT, GET. RID. OF. TOX. IC. ITY!!! Even if you have feelings for something/someone, if it/they trigger your depression, drop that shit like a bad habit. Get rid of it at all cost. It will never allow you to recover. This is the most crucial.

The last piece of advice I could give you is to surround yourself with positivity. This one is actually the hardest part, because positivity is the antithesis of depression...but it is so essential. Listen to corny, happy songs. Hang out with your best friend. Write corny quotes all over your walls, etc. Especially things that talk about loving yourself! Those are the best and most essential. You must begin to love yourself. You are worthy of being loved!! Do not allow your depression to convince you otherwise.

During my depression, I could never allow myself to appear vulnerable, so I wouldn't talk to anyone about it. But I swear it would have made my recovery so much quicker. So PLEASE....if you can...talk to someone! It doesn't have to be a professional. Just someone who loves you. Or anyone who will listen. Sometimes that's all we need. Is someone who will listen. They don't even have to offer advice, or something that will actually help. But someone who will just listen to with an open ear, and actually cares about what we have to say. After all, depression convinces us that we don't have anything worthwhile to say. But I promise you, you do have something worthwhile to say, and there are people who will listen.

Long in short...there is a reason you are here. There is a purpose for your existence. You can, and will overcome your depression. You are worthy of love. You just need to convince YOURSELF.

Like everyone else has said...I am always open to talk to you. I may not know you personally, but if you just need someone who will listen with an open mind and an open heart, please message me.
    I had tears building in my eyes as I read this, thank you so much all of that is really what I needed to hear. I'm trying, I'm trying so hard, I know things are gonna get better eventually. I know I've gotta work on myself to get myself where I want to be.

I thank every one of you, I really hope everyone does overcome this struggle. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chu For This Useful Post:

Caylen (01-20-2016)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    96 times
    Time Online
    21d 12h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Hi, I'm currently trying to cope with depression. On medication, tried cognitive behavioural therapy (didn't really help), then psychoanalytical therapy (slightly better), then stopped.

It is crushing when someone you care about & someone who cares about you accuses you of being lazy, or invalidates / dismisses what you try to communicate.

I have this comment in my favourites because I like to go back and read it on my down days sometimes.

I hope it also helps you.

(you need an account to see links)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk