Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    4h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Cool Getting up to date on Neopets

Hi guys!

I have been away from Neopets for a while now. I resurfaced a few years ago so I could get a Lutari (successfully! ) but have not been serious about it for a while, until I decided to see if the community was still alive.

I am aware that there is a post to know if the site is up or down, but this is not the purpose of the post. I am just curious to know, do you guys know if the team Neopet is still working on the site, or the site is just a ghost platform with no one controlling except maybe for a few active mechanisms? I know there is still a community of fans, but how active is it? Has new content come up or it is sort of frozen?

Also any tips to run the site more smoothly? I noticed that it can run pretty slow, and that is especially annoying when playing the NP games.

Just wanted to hear what do you guys know ^^

P.s.: This kinda my first post other than the introduction, so please let me know if it is inadequately placed or something of the like.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    26d 15h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Right now content has slowed down due to tnt working on converting the site to html 5. They are doing this because flash is dying, and it will be needed for their mobile app which is in the works. There were 2 plots you missed, the writing was god awful, but even so they had fun elements.

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,769 times
    Time Online
    644d 1h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 41m
    The Neopets site has been running on fumes since being acquired by JumpStart. Its hosting resources were noticeably down-scaled, and its content has been both lacking and lackluster. There are still employees servicing the site, but it's largely running in maintenance mode while they attempt to salvage old projects.

A site event is currently going on which puts additional load on the site, causing it to bog down more than usual. Barring internet connectivity issues, that's likely why you're encountering slowness. The site drowns you in ads if you're not a premium user, so I'd recommend installing an ad-blocker to make your experience better.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    4d 11h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

Neopets - what's the deal? + Some Questions

Catchy title is just that, no aggression needed or meant.

I played NP briefly many winters ago, and never actually... 'got' it? So I wanna know what I've missed, what little dumb me thirteen something years ago missed [and then missed again about four years ago] - so I've got some questions you're free to either roll your eyes at or answer.

What's the 'draw' for neopets - what's the hook, line and sinker? What is there to keep someone interested and playing?

Is the economy truly as terrible as I've heard?

How in the hell are people managing to farm neopoints? I could only ever get it from games I was allowed to submit scores for once.

What's the main lingo newbie should be aware of? [I've heard the following but don't know what they mean: chained, unconverted pet]

Anything else important that I just seem to have missed?

Finally - if someone were to start building an account, who would be best to go to for a decent 'start' on it and from there how in the hell do you progress?

No need to be snappy or rude, I'm genuinely curious, and want to hear what people have to say on a personal/opinion based level as well as a game-mechanical level.

[pls quote so i get the alert or i may not see]
    Last edited by Aardvark; 06-11-2019 at 01:35 PM.

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,769 times
    Time Online
    644d 1h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 41m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    Neopets - what's the deal? + Some Questions
    Somebody else asked questions similar to these earlier today, Aardvark. I've moved your thread here so that we can get everybody's questions answered in one place.
    Last edited by Bat; 06-11-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    87/0
    Mentioned
    67 times
    Time Online
    120d 15h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    48m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    Catchy title is just that, no aggression needed or meant.

I played NP briefly many winters ago, and never actually... 'got' it? So I wanna know what I've missed, what little dumb me thirteen something years ago missed [and then missed again about four years ago] - so I've got some questions you're free to either roll your eyes at or answer.

What's the 'draw' for neopets - what's the hook, line and sinker? What is there to keep someone interested and playing?

How in the hell are people managing to farm neopoints? I could only ever get it from games I was allowed to submit scores for once.

What's the main lingo newbie should be aware of? [I've heard the following but don't know what they mean: chained, unconverted pet]

Anything else important that I just seem to have missed?

Finally - if someone were to start building an account, who would be best to go to for a decent 'start' on it and from there how in the hell do you progress?

No need to be snappy or rude, I'm genuinely curious, and want to hear what people have to say on a personal/opinion based level as well as a game-mechanical level.

[pls quote so i get the alert or i may not see]
    I will try to reply some questions although I'm not playing too much lately.

There's not a rule, each player have fun with different things. The most common ones should be avatar collecting, battledome, customizing neopets (which makes the NC trading section so large) or simply reaching goals you choose, like number of trophies, amount of NP in the bank, etc. I'm certainly missing another ton of stuff players like to do.

I don't know exactly what you heard but yeah, Neo economy is pretty bad imo.

There are a number of ways to do this. Forget about games. Most people make NPs by restocking (purchasing items in shops and then selling to other players, there are some guides to it here on cK), reselling (purchasing items for players and then selling to other players for a higher price), but if you don't want to enter in this competitive part of the site, you can do NPs on Food Club (a bet system, where you can simply copy bets from more experienced users and profit) and some other activities like stock market and of course the daily Trudy.

By head I can't remember most of them but I will try and find a guide to the most common Neopets vocabulary and edit here.
    Edit: I just remembered Jellyneo have a dictionary here: (you need an account to see links)
    You can search for specific words if you'd like too, but you won't find most cheating-related words there. For example, "chained" means you were "chain frozen" (when all, or a good part, of your Neo accounts got banned for breaking site's rules).

I think it depends on what your goal is. Try exploring the site and finding what you like to do, take as a reference the stuff I talked about in your first question. Then, when you have an idea (e.g. "I want to collect avatars") come back here and let us know, and we can guide you through it. But in the beginning, try a bit of everything to make sure you don't miss anything you might like.
    Last edited by Hikimaru; 06-11-2019 at 04:09 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hikimaru For This Useful Post:

Birdtail (06-13-2019),Pearl (06-11-2019)