Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Black Lives Matter Movement, in light of recent events?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    63 times
    Time Online
    9d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    How blessed some of you are for not being able to understand what the Black Lives Matter Movement is actually about or feel empathy for the minorities that are asking for their basic human rights to be met. All the blanket statements in this thread, "They" and "Them" and "Their." The language here from some of you is simple evidence in of privilege.

Thousands of peaceful protesters. Black families of victims encouraging peaceful protests. Seriously. But let's blame all of "them" because of the angry extremist BUT woah woah woah black people, not all whites are bad.
    @(you need an account to see links)
    If you believe there isn't widespread racism in this country, well, that explains your rhetoric. "I like to believe there are extremely well-meaning people..." Really? Do you? Because that statement in itself is a reflection of skepticism. Of course the BLM movement would mean nothing to you because you don't believe there is racism... Or at least, in your opinion, enough" racism to justify the outcry.
    Not going to even have a personal jib at you, but you should properly read and interpet the stats! 'Blacks' aren't in a 'minority' in terms their percentage of total offenders, or their presence in the prison populace. If you think about it, the ratio of black offenders is higher than white - so that means that there are going to be a higher amount of black offenders when picked out of a random sample of black people on the street on average when compared to when the same study is done for a random sample of white people (on the street). So, one would logically expect that the amount of offenders/convicts (whatever they are) killed by police would be representive of the ethic shares of total offenders. As a matter of fact, the proportions are skewed toward whites, meaning they are actually killed more on average in terms of total death-by-cop, than blacks.

Basically, the body that gets to the morgue (if there was only one for the whole of the USA) is more likely to be white than black or mexican/latino.

One thing that has attributed to the crime rate in the black demographic is gang culture brought on by 'black rap'. The root of black violence and gang culture really needs to be dealt from within by 'blacks'; such as deciding to actually teach their kids what is morally and ethically right and wrong, rather than simply not care. Here you must not assume I mean all black people that live in the USA.

The problem with this is that most of blacks (there are exceptions) do not see that themselves as a culture, not race, are the ones fueling the problem. Blacks need to reduce their crime rate, and in turn will reduce occurance of black suspects of being shot.

Black Lives Matter totally ignores the real problem and instead takes the easy route, which is to be blind and a lot of the time use violence and threat to push its political agenda. That is the definition of terrorism.
    Last edited by jongeh; 07-13-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    5d 5h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    White people are shot by police officers too. Look up Dylan Noble, June 25, 2016, Fresno CA. If you think these black men who were shot by the police are innocent, you are mistaken. Anton Sterling: He has a criminal history and he was definitely NOT cooperating with the officers. Asking, "what did I do, what did I do?" while armed and resisting. It doesn't matter what you did at the moment. You comply with the officers commands, cooperate, and don't resist. If they don't explain it to you after that point, you tell your side to the judge. If black people REALLY feel like their lives are in danger by police officers, why would they provoke them? Why resist? AND HE DID!! Two grown men, with a stun gun couldn't take him down! He STILL resisted! I think they had legitimate reason to fear for their safety at that point. Yes, I feel they shot him point blank in the chest after he was down on the ground, but it would have never gotten to that point if he had complied and didn't resist. And we NEVER see these video confrontations from the beginning. We never see what precipitated the events, we only see when the police start to struggle with the individuals, because that is when people start recording for their own agenda.

Philando Castile: If that were my husband/child's father, I wouldn't be just sitting there saying, "tell me you didn't just shoot him." I would have been like, " Oh my god, you shot him!! Call an ambulance!" "Don't die, I'm here, stay with me!" I would have been holding him, putting pressure on the wounding, doing CPR. She was more worried about filming than about him dying right there. I would have wanted to hold my husband in my arms as he took his last breaths, not been more worried about filming. She had to stay calm and respectful to stay alive, my ass. They weren't going to shoot her for tending to her husband/boyfriend. AND, if black people are so worried about their encounters with police officers, why not start filming from the minute they were pulled over??? She didn't start filming until AFTER he was shot and we only hear HER side of the story. According to her, He was only complying with what they asked and getting his license, registration, and license to carry and they shot him. NOT!! The officer said he told him to get his hands up and he continued to reach behind him. Why TELL them you have a gun and a license FIRST?? That just puts them on edge. Why not get out your license, reg. and CWC all together? In his state, he had no duty to inform until/unless asked. There is A LOT more to this story. It is not EXACTLY as this woman states. The people, black, white, or whoever, who have been shot by police officers, have not been doing what they are told to do and then all of a sudden been shot. They are resisting, running, grabbing for something, not complying with commands, etc. And they were breaking the law before it even got to that point to begin with.

If black people are so concerned with black lives, why do black lives only matter when a white person is taking that life? Where are the protesters when black people are killing each other? Is it ok then? Do those black lives not matter? And if you want to compare it to breast and lung cancer, they don't say, well your lung cancer matters more because you were exposed to asbestos from working hard all your life, but YOU, on the other hand, deserved it because you smoked all your life, so we aren't treating you. ALL lung cancer matters. ALL lives matter. Sorry. If it is police corruption and trigger happy officers that's the problem, Dylan Noble deserves as much protest as Philando Castile. Where is Beyonce???

While the Dallas Police officers' shooter was black, I don't believe he was related to the BLM protesters. However, the protesters have protested with violence, rioting, looting, arson, and destruction. How is the destruction of YOUR OWN cities proving your point?
    Last edited by Witchy1; 07-22-2016 at 09:20 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witchy1 For This Useful Post:

Amber (07-21-2016),kat. (12-26-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    63 times
    Time Online
    9d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    To those who use the completely misinterpreted data on crime in the usa to back the BLM political movement, you can make the exact same argument but using pitbulls, or rottweilers (assuming they are put down afterwards) instead of African-American criminals.

Report: U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities January 2006 to December 2008

A 2009 report issued by DogsBite.org shows that 19 dog breeds contributed to 88 deaths in the 3-year period of 2006 to 2008. Pit bulls accounted for 59% followed by rottweilers with 14%.

Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period.
    The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).

Now go and look up the total proportion of pitbulls and rotties there are compared to the total population of all breeds of dogs. They probably make up say 1%.

The funny thing, it isn't the dogs themselves but the owners, the way they have been brought up. Same with blacks committing crime. They are brought up almost being told it is ok to be in gangs, act like thugs and eventually commit crimes.

I am in no way, shape or form comparing African-Americans to dogs. I am simply using this example as dogs so to speak commit crimes also and suffer death as a result.
    Last edited by jongeh; 07-19-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    38d 16h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Quote Originally Posted by jongeh View Post
    To those who use the completely misinterpreted data on crime in the usa to back the BLM political movement, you can make the exact same argument but using pitbulls, or rottweilers (assuming they are put down afterwards) instead of African-American criminals.

Report: U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities January 2006 to December 2008

A 2009 report issued by DogsBite.org shows that 19 dog breeds contributed to 88 deaths in the 3-year period of 2006 to 2008. Pit bulls accounted for 59% followed by rottweilers with 14%.

Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period.
    The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).

Now go and look up the total proportion of pitbulls and rotties there are compared to the total population of all breeds of dogs. They probably make up say 1%.

The funny thing, it isn't the dogs themselves but the owners, the way they have been brought up. Same with blacks committing crime. They are brought up almost being told it is ok to be in gangs, act like thugs and eventually commit crimes.

I am in no way, shape or form comparing African-Americans to dogs. I am simply using this example as dogs so to speak commit crimes also and suffer death as a result.
    lmfaooo disclaimer or not, can't believe you compared black people to dogs

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

Aura (07-19-2016),hissi (07-21-2016),Irohh (07-20-2016),Lazuli (07-19-2016),Mindfang (07-19-2016),Mophead (07-19-2016),NotADoctor (07-19-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    58 times
    Time Online
    23d 13h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo View Post
    ^
    #10char

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    63 times
    Time Online
    9d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo View Post
    Do you understand the argument? And I wasn't comparing black people to dogs; I was comparing the interpretation of the data! You can make your own example about sharks if you like. The point I am trying to stress is the way the data is being interpreted by the BLM protesters.

To anyone that was offended, it was not meant that way. Sometimes you need to put a point across in a weir way for people to read and understand it.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/1
    Mentioned
    533 times
    Time Online
    134d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    52m
    Do you understand the argument? And I wasn't comparing black people to dogs; I was comparing the interpretation of the data! You can make your own example about sharks if you like. The point I am trying to stress is the way the data is being interpreted by the BLM protesters.

To anyone that was offended, it was not meant that way. Sometimes you need to put a point across in a weir way for people to read and understand it.
    I for one, couldn't understand the point you were trying to get across at all.
    Comparing dogs that have killed to black people who are getting killed/killing is just nonsensical. lol

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    63 times
    Time Online
    9d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mophead View Post
    I for one, couldn't understand the point you were trying to get across at all.
    Comparing dogs that have killed to black people who are getting killed/killing is just nonsensical. lol
    Some people just don't get it, that is chill.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I get the misinterpreted data part of what you said, many subjects are misinterpreted or use flat out skewed data, but it was a very poor choice of subject matter. I do not agree that the particular subject should have been used to get the point across. Try not to use examples that could hold the potential to offend others. In this case at least stick to human examples rather than animal vs human.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

starlin (07-21-2016),Witchy1 (07-22-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    208 times
    Time Online
    98d 13h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    Some people just don't get it, that is chill.
    its not that people "just dont get it bruh!!!" its that you compared black people to dogs completely nonsensically? like what the hell was that post even meant to get across? what else were we meant to take from a post comparing black people to dogs