DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    957 times
    Time Online
    117d 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    @(you need an account to see links) I personally am not too familiar with the Gundam series although I do love a good mech every now and then, but I'm not sure how similar it truly is xDD definitely a lot of psychological mindfucks, more than anyone probably deserves ever haha.

oh a bunch of my friends really like DRRR, I guess I should put some effort into it lol.

ah I never thought about it that way. o= I'm minoring in media studies and have learned about the importance of translations and 3rd party effects on messages/meanings but I've never looked at it from that perspective! very interesting. I have always been of the mindset "whatever I'm watching, it should be in its original intended language" but having to read translated subtitles does throw a wrench in the gears. x)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    319 times
    Time Online
    4d 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    @(you need an account to see links)

it's getting really late for me and i'mma bout to start rambling......here goes.....

lol i don't watch shows for their intended meanings, or hidden ones, i watch shows for their entertainment value (sight gags and whatnot)

yeah they should be in their original intended languages, but not everyone speaks/understands those languages although they might enjoy the looks of it, which brings in the subs/dubs so they can know what's being said

i think what i'm trying to say is entertainment is universal, maybe you don't NEED to understand what's being said, but it helps to draw in more people when they can understand it

and please please please tell me if i'm not being coherent, i think i am for some reason........... it's really late for me.......
    just report it and ignore it.

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    957 times
    Time Online
    117d 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    @(you need an account to see links) I'm in a perpetual state of rambling so no foul, you're fine it's only almost 130am for me but I'm never really coherent ^^

oh for sure I love watching gags/stupid slapstick as much as I love having my mind blown in epic plot twists or reveals but I've never been one to super analyze things; hell I'm always the one asking "who's that why'd they do that what's going on" xD;

it's definitely universal but people also definitely extract the entertainment in different ways, I believe. one of my professors told me that he was watching like Honey I Shrunk the Kids or something in Japan (he's American) and it was subbed in Japanese; he ended up being the ONLY one laughing at certain parts in the theater and concluded that because of the way the subtitles were translated, it just didn't come across as funny to the Japanese lol. maybe if it was dubbed the original joke could have been preserved. x)

I think in the end for me, I just think a lot of the American voice actors are not agreeable to my ears, so I stick with subs xDDD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

J_L_K_64 (06-17-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    I was going to come in and call you all geeks until I read...

Quote Originally Posted by J_L_K_64 View Post
    mobile suit gundam wing fan (i have a small collection of MSIA action figures)
    Did I read 'Gundam'?! GUNDAM?!

SQUEEE!!! I LOVE GUNDAM, OMFG! TEHEHEHE LOLZ. I FEEL LIKE SUCH A GIRL WITH MY GUNDAM FANBOYING! OMGZ, HAHA.

(Though I've lost the time, interest, and money to continue Gunplaing; still got a few MGs I bought years ago, yet to be completed.)

...J_L_K_64, TALK DIRTY TO ME. WHISPER 'Wing Zero' TO MY EARS, TEHEHEHE, XOXOXOXO LOLZZZZZZZ.

*wet panties*

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    18d 16h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    If the dubbing was executed well (e.g. Death Note, which some people even say sounds better in English) I have no problem with watching it instead of watching subs - but generally I find that a lot of humor gets lost in translation. A comedy series like Gintama, for instance, makes heavy use of wordplay, references to foreign words, historical facts and elements of pop culture in Japan; without subtitles and the nifty little explanations the subbers add in, I'd have missed everything, haha.

Also, in Japan the author is more likely to be able to have a say when it comes to choosing voices that fit his characterizations. In One Piece, Kazuki Yao's previous portrayal of certain characters actually inspired Oda to create the character of Franky with his voice in mind. I love One Piece to bits. sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post

SQUEEE!!! I LOVE GUNDAM, OMFG! TEHEHEHE LOLZ. I FEEL LIKE SUCH A GIRL WITH MY GUNDAM FANBOYING! OMGZ, HAHA.

(Though I've lost the time, interest, and money to continue Gunplaing; still got a few MGs I bought years ago, yet to be completed.)

...J_L_K_64, TALK DIRTY TO ME. WHISPER 'Wing Zero' TO MY EARS, TEHEHEHE, XOXOXOXO LOLZZZZZZZ.

*wet panties*
    ಠ u ಠ

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    319 times
    Time Online
    4d 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

*wet panties*
    fuck wing zero, well not really lol, heavyarms and deathscythe were a million times better all the time, the onlt time wing zero was any good is when it was going up against epyon and/or tallgeese

Quote Originally Posted by Lorn View Post

*wet panties*
    ಠ u ಠ
    you best not be mocking my MSIA, they'll kick your ass lil missy.....

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    18d 16h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by J_L_K_64 View Post
    you best not be mocking my MSIA, they'll kick your ass lil missy.....

I FEEL LIKE SUCH A GIRL WITH MY GUNDAM FANBOYING! OMGZ, HAHA.

*wet panties*
    ಠ u ಠ

One of my favorite pastimes is to poke and prod Mod until he fills uncomfortable. Don't mistake.
    He claims to be not-a-geek, but he is now exhibiting his true colors.
    + No, I don't mock people for collecting figures. I love collecting figures myself, though I don't usually deal with models.
    And please. Better watchur back while I have this lil' guy around:

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    319 times
    Time Online
    4d 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorn View Post

ಠ u ಠ

One of my favorite pastimes is to poke and prod Mod until he fills uncomfortable. Don't mistake.
    He claims to be not-a-geek, but he is now exhibiting his true colors.
    + No, I don't mock people for collecting figures. I love collecting figures myself, though I don't usually deal with models.
    And please. Better watchur back while I have this lil' guy around:

this is my posse, lol

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    957 times
    Time Online
    117d 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    damn lookit you cool kids with all your models and figurines. 8( all I have is Lancelot from Code Geass. <3 built the fucker myself |D

when I hear Gundam this is really all I can think of lol (you need an account to see links)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    319 times
    Time Online
    4d 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    damn lookit you cool kids with all your models and figurines. 8( all I have is Lancelot from Code Geass. <3 built the fucker myself |D

when I hear Gundam this is really all I can think of lol (you need an account to see links)
    ewwww....... it's g gundam.........almost as bad as gundam seed.......... lol