278/0
    Mentioned
    222 times
    Time Online
    51d 7h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m

Fundraising Ideas.

Ok so not many people will be aware but my grandmother passed away Christmas Day 2013. She had a stroke around 3 years ago which had accelerated underlying Dementia. We tried to care for her in our home but she became very distressed and confused. She was referred to a Care Home in which she became progressively worse. She began to lose all understanding and in the past few years she became nearly fully blind and got to a stage when she didn't recognise us. In the 22nd December she was taken to hospital with a suspected bug after vomitting all night, she got progressively worse and we were told she had bowel obstructions. She needed surgery but at 7 stone was too weak to be a candidate. She passed just after 10 on christmas day and to say we are heart broken is an understatement. Although I am relieved she didn't have to spend the rest of her life in a care home, it's no quality of life for anybody.

Me and my brother decided we want to do something in her memory, my brother is extremely overweight and this whole thing has scared him into action, we are doing a sponsored weight loss. I want to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight as I have let myself get in to a horrible state this past year and a half and he wants to lose 7 stone in 7 month which is achievable at his size.

I was wondering if anybody had any unique fund raising ideas in order to raise money for Alzheimers Society, we have so far raised �75 which is over $100 for you Americans.
    (you need an account to see links)

Any ideas and tips are welcome.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elmo For This Useful Post:

Nath (01-01-2014)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    4d 4h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieG View Post
    Ok so not many people will be aware but my grandmother passed away Christmas Day 2013. She had a stroke around 3 years ago which had accelerated underlying Dementia. We tried to care for her in our home but she became very distressed and confused. She was referred to a Care Home in which she became progressively worse. She began to lose all understanding and in the past few years she became nearly fully blind and got to a stage when she didn't recognise us. In the 22nd December she was taken to hospital with a suspected bug after vomitting all night, she got progressively worse and we were told she had bowel obstructions. She needed surgery but at 7 stone was too weak to be a candidate. She passed just after 10 on christmas day and to say we are heart broken is an understatement. Although I am relieved she didn't have to spend the rest of her life in a care home, it's no quality of life for anybody.

Me and my brother decided we want to do something in her memory, my brother is extremely overweight and this whole thing has scared him into action, we are doing a sponsored weight loss. I want to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight as I have let myself get in to a horrible state this past year and a half and he wants to lose 7 stone in 7 month which is achievable at his size.

I was wondering if anybody had any unique fund raising ideas in order to raise money for Alzheimers Society, we have so far raised �75 which is over $100 for you Americans.
    (you need an account to see links)

Any ideas and tips are welcome.
    Wow, I'm so sorry that this happened to your family, it's eerily similar to what happened with my father. He had Alzheimers and about 3 years into he had a massive stroke. He passed about a year and a half later due to sever dementia and brain deterioration. So I truly can empathize with you.

As far as fund raising ideas. I have to say that the most successful fund raiser I've ever held, and I've personally held 3, a few friends of mine, and myself, got together and ordered bracelets online. The little silicon ones with sayings. We paid about $.10 a piece and sold them for $1-$2 each. We were raising awareness for Children born with autism. I hope this helps!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    278/0
    Mentioned
    222 times
    Time Online
    51d 7h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    That's a fab idea, definitely something I could do. Thank you for your kind words, Alzheimer's is such a cruel illness, both on the person and their family. You're clearly a very strong person x

Sent from my iPhone using (you need an account to see links)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    343 times
    Time Online
    286d 22h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 38m
    I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. I lost my grandmother at Chirstmas time 5 years ago - although there is never a good time to lose a loved one it's especially hard at a time of year when family is most important.

It's nice that you guys are doing something for such a good charity as more funding is really needed for Alzheimer's research. I think whatever you decide to do people will sponsor you and help as much as they can best of luck

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    278/0
    Mentioned
    222 times
    Time Online
    51d 7h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Quote Originally Posted by nayfeee View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. I lost my grandmother at Chirstmas time 5 years ago - although there is never a good time to lose a loved one it's especially hard at a time of year when family is most important.

It's nice that you guys are doing something for such a good charity as more funding is really needed for Alzheimer's research. I think whatever you decide to do people will sponsor you and help as much as they can best of luck
    Thank you darl <3
    I'm thinking of the Great North Run or some kind of fun run is fancy dress, not original but people seem to get behind it. Think I will go with the wristband idea too.
    Thank you for your kind words.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    6d 16h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    just seen this, my grandma had dementia and even tho its been 15 years or so since she died i still remember how hard it was on my family.
    you could run a quiz night, it would highlight how much people rely on memory and brain function and you could have fun too.