37/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    5d 8h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by jongeh View Post
    The 2nd Amendment doesn't encourage people to practice safe gun control (whatever that means), it gives civilians the right to bear arms. My post was in response to the last sentence of yours, which asked why "citizen need assault rifles anyways...".

I haven't looked at the statistics, but I am almost certain the majority of child gun-related child death cases involve handguns rather than assault rifles. You can go and look at the statistics yourself. Apart from that, I literally see no meaningful substance in your response to my post, so I will ask you; what exactly is it you are arguing?
    I think there is a misunderstanding here. I am not talking about assault rifles. I read a previous post here regarding them and was going off on that and stopped after I was informed better about it. And yes, I am talking about handguns. Should have clarified that so sorry about that.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Let's keep it civil guys.

Handguns have been the topic of a majority of child related deaths in the home due to owner negligence. I keep mine on me (the one I'm carrying that day) until I go to bed; other than that they are under lock and key and unloaded ALWAYS. There is zero reason that justifies a child death due to a handgun in the home other than intentional homicide. That includes a recent article I saw regarding a child that was "accidently" shot and killed while the owner was cleaning his firearm. First off, your firearm should never be loaded while cleaning it. Second, it's actually impossible to clean a handgun while it's loaded without knowing it is loaded.

Point being, there are no accidents with firearm deaths when it comes to the owner of said firearm. It is pure, 100% negligence. Period.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Misha For This Useful Post:

Teakwood (02-06-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Should just go back to the good ol' days of playing with Nerf water guns...the only guns kids should be around.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Misha (08-07-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    Should just go back to the good ol' days of playing with Nerf water guns...the only guns kids should be around.
    Funny story, when the super soaker 2000 came out, this kid blasted my brother in the face with it from point blank range when he came around a corner. Made my brother cry, so my older brother instincts kicked in and I chased the little prick across the park yard and ended up chucking a random spoon I found on the ground at him and railed him in the back of the head. Then I got grounded lol

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    1d 8h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Honestly, they really need to control guns, with the rate that it's going now it looks like us is heading back from the Wild West where people would be carrying guns publicly in the future.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    I carry my gun in public already

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by jeromiz View Post
    Honestly, they really need to control guns, with the rate that it's going now it looks like us is heading back from the Wild West where people would be carrying guns publicly in the future.
    Countless Americans do already. Many legally. Many illegally. Many illegally, not as criminals, but as people who think permits are just another method of "restricting freedom" so they choose to avoid that process.

Not sure where you are from but here in Canada we cannot fathom the idea that carrying a gun while buying socks at Wal-Mart or eating out for dinner is an absolute essential when venturing into public. We were never brought up with that culture so we only see a ridiculous notion. However if I was brought up shooting cans from a fence post at 5 years old and being told to always be on alert for potential death via others I think I too would be carrying a gun, legally, anywhere I went.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Misha (11-11-2018),Teakwood (02-06-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    6d 6h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    The second amendment was never written about allowing folks to carry guns around. It was written to ensure that the people would have protection against the US army if it fell to fascism. We the people do not have any such protection, guns or not.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. 49 For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 16h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    From the perspective of a European, I think it's pretty much impossible to understand the attachment to guns some people seem to have.
    And I don't expect to ever change anyone's mind about that either.
    It's just that some of the arguments that I see against critics don't make any sense for me.
    One of the most common ones I see is "What would making guns illegal/harder to get accomplish? People would get them illegally!"

...yes? That's the WHOLE POINT.
    As things stand now, anyone itching to shoot up a school/store/church/you name it, can just grab any of the readily available guns lying around and, in a fit of rage, go through with their lunacy.
    Same thing goes for scorned lovers, desperate robbers, angry people arguing...thousands of deaths that happen every day because someone was angry and happened to have a weapon in hand.

Around 70% of non-crime related homicides are what is called a "crime of passion". That is, the homicide isn't premeditated, but it's carried out in a fit of rage.
    In other countries, the most you can do is grab a knife.
    In America, you can kill your victim, bystanders, and then yourself, all without breaking a sweat.
    Normal people do not know where to get illegal contraband.
    Normal people do not want to dirty themselves with crime.
    Normal people do not want to know they formed a 'link' with criminals.

With an illegals (or heavily regulated) guns scenario, you prevent the normal majority from being involved in "accidental" crime, and you protect them from themselves.
    The "You can still get guns illegaly" argument, while true, is completely irrelevant when applied to the demographics gun control would actually be trying to protect.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardan View Post
    From the perspective of a European, I think it's pretty much impossible to understand the attachment to guns some people seem to have.
    And I don't expect to ever change anyone's mind about that either.
    It's just that some of the arguments that I see against critics don't make any sense for me.
    One of the most common ones I see is "What would making guns illegal/harder to get accomplish? People would get them illegally!"

...yes? That's the WHOLE POINT.
    As things stand now, anyone itching to shoot up a school/store/church/you name it, can just grab any of the readily available guns lying around and, in a fit of rage, go through with their lunacy.
    Same thing goes for scorned lovers, desperate robbers, angry people arguing...thousands of deaths that happen every day because someone was angry and happened to have a weapon in hand.

Around 70% of non-crime related homicides are what is called a "crime of passion". That is, the homicide isn't premeditated, but it's carried out in a fit of rage.
    In other countries, the most you can do is grab a knife.
    In America, you can kill your victim, bystanders, and then yourself, all without breaking a sweat.
    Normal people do not know where to get illegal contraband.
    Normal people do not want to dirty themselves with crime.
    Normal people do not want to know they formed a 'link' with criminals.

With an illegals (or heavily regulated) guns scenario, you prevent the normal majority from being involved in "accidental" crime, and you protect them from themselves.
    The "You can still get guns illegaly" argument, while true, is completely irrelevant when applied to the demographics gun control would actually be trying to protect.
    Like I've said before, I'm all for stricter laws when it comes to a citizen obtaining a firearm for self-defense as well as for hunting. I also strongly believe our government agencies need to take tips more serious and carry out checks. If you call the police and hang up without saying anything, the police will show up at the location of the original call.

Call the FBI and tell them someone has been making threats to shoot up their school/church/social event, and 9 times out of 10, they throw it in the back yard and go on about their day.

The illegal gun market in the US is already so large, with thousands more guns reaching the hands of criminals daily, that it would turn our country in to Brazil in no time as far as gun related crimes.

I think legal gun owners need to be held much more responsible for the care and security of their firearms when we get cases where someone "grabbed what was lying around" and commit a heinous act against innocent civilians.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Misha For This Useful Post:

Teakwood (02-06-2019)