Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about people who ask strangers for money?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    137 times
    Time Online
    53d 21h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m

What do you think about people who ask strangers for money?

More specifically, I've been seeing a trend on Tumblr where people put donation buttons to their Paypal accounts on their blogs... And they make posts about how they need money to pay rent and shit and they get like a lot of reblogs and support over it... AND they're usually attractive and/or popular (just an observation, don't kill me for saying that lol)...

Do you guys think it's sorta weird of them to be asking for $$$ from their followers? Like I personally wouldn't even ask anyone outside of people I know and am close with for anything... It doesn't sit right with me that they're asking for money 'cause they needa pay rent or whatever... Like... I'm as poor as you can get but I don't go around asking my followers for $$$.... Am I just an asshole for thinking this way or what?

Like I can totally understand if you're homeless and you really need help for money, but you have a home + you have a computer + internet and stuff... Do you REALLY need money from strangers? IDK I FEEL LIKE AN ASSHOLE someone please prove me wrong/right lol.

[/FONT]

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Na its not weird, i often sometimes think i shoudl jsut put a donation button up for the hell of it. I mean it couldn't do any harm?

I do think begging for it and seeking pity parties is a bit shameful.

I would rather earn it.

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Lets say i'm running a popular blog and i'm giving advice to people, giving detailed answers to asks, all that stuff and its very informative and helpful. Some might feel like they owe you and will email you/ contact you if they can donate.

Sites like jellyneo, dresstoimpress say theya re non-profit and run off donations for the sites. Not sure how much their site costs look like though.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    137 times
    Time Online
    53d 21h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Hm I see your point.

What sparked this thread was that i found a post someone reblogged about how they need money for rent 'cause their landlord is "super evil" and that they gotta pay it ASAP otherwise they'll get kicked out... I guess this is more of a pity party than anything.

I wouldn't mind donation buttons as much as long as the blogger isn't constantly telling people that they want ppl to donate to them or whatever... Idk man

Edit: hmm i can 100% understand asking for donations to run your site (like jellyneo etc.) but i'm mainly talking about personal blogs on Tumblr that don't really offer anything other than personal posts + photos of themselves. I guess giving people advice could be a reason for the donation button, but idk if advice should be given for $$$. Like I feel lik an asshole for thinking this way but then again I'm not harassing anyone about their donation buttons so yeh....
    Last edited by Fleur; 06-25-2015 at 09:04 PM.

[/FONT]

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    I mean if people got money to spare and they do it then I guess so. I personally wouldn't do something like that.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    178/0
    Mentioned
    744 times
    Time Online
    335d 1h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 1m
    but i'm mainly talking about personal blogs on Tumblr that don't really offer anything other than personal posts + photos of themselves.
    Ridiculous if you ask me, unless they're doing something useful/worthy like |2eap said...
    btw, quoting from Joe's profile XD.
    "Nigga, get off yo' ass if you plan to be rich!"
    Last edited by Accelerator; 06-25-2015 at 09:14 PM.

(you need an account to see links)

"Date et dabitur vobis"
    「Let's fight 恐れはない」

"A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of f��ks I do not give"

「君が望むモノは何?」

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Accelerator For This Useful Post:

Jessica (06-26-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    55/0
    Mentioned
    53 times
    Time Online
    24d 2h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    I get angry when I see that!
    Most of the people I know that do it have no job and just pop out babies.
    Get off your bums and get a job.
    I could be biased though cause of a shitty court date yesterday that has me pissed off.
    :/
    Last edited by googleport; 06-25-2015 at 09:43 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    2d 6h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I don't think it's weird, but it depends on the situation, really. If people ask for money to pay rent, then... I'm not too sure about that. People ask for money to maybe fund their college or whatever, but with stuff like that I get really skeptical because you really don't know if they are using the money that's donated for whatever they stated. Now, if someone was asking for money to fund a cause or something, I would help them donate.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    169/0
    Mentioned
    273 times
    Time Online
    56d 5h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    I don't even ask people for money or even a chip out of their bag of chips if they have it. People offer it and when I say no thanks they get all flustered and are like "what are you too good for my stuff?". Most times jokingly but I've had people get really serious about it. I grew up in a poor neighborhood so when people offered you things there, there was always something they wanted in return. I guess that just followed me in my way of seeing offerings and such. Now sometimes I try to take stuff when its offered but it feels really weird to me. I don't know how people even have the nerve to ask for something like that on tumblr. I can understand if it was something like |2leap said but for something like just randomly donating money, definitely not. It kinda pissed me off when guys fall for this when a girl is asking for it a bit more. I am just like what goes on in your mind when this happens, do you think that the girl is just gonna like magically fall out of the sky and onto your dick or what.
    /end rant lol

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,171 times
    Time Online
    562d 4h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 28m
    Most of the time I kind of roll my eyes. I see a lot of blogs with donate buttons with no explanations. I completely get things like adding amazon wishlists (but maybe I'm just a big believer in random gifting to nice people), but donate buttons always seemed entitled and rub me the wrong way. But it's not as bad as the growing trend of telling some sob story and asking for donations to help save up for a few years or something absurd like that.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

zxzero (06-25-2015)

Pronouns
    she/elle/o/ол
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    85 times
    Time Online
    27d 8h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    I've seen writers on Tumblr who do this, but I think they were actually prompted to by adoring fans of their writing, and the buttons seem to be minor things like "buy the writer a coffee for $3.50", etc. I've never found that weird. But when it seems like begging (my evil landlord, etc), I just... no. You can't know what they're going to use it for, just like @(you need an account to see links) said, or even if they really need it at all.

Tumblr is like the mecca of sob stories. I'm not into it.

/endrant