Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ~Just had my daughter, and it's time to start dropping that baby weight. Tips please?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    467 times
    Time Online
    29d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m

~Just had my daughter, and it's time to start dropping that baby weight. Tips please?

Okay, here's some serious honesty.

Before pregnancy; 5'9'', 160lb--I looked great. Finally. Oh wait, oops, I'm pregnant now after losing 70lbs. -_-
    Right before delivery; 5'10'', 206lbs--WHAT DAFUQ 40lb pregnancy?
    After Pregnancy; 5'9'', 190lb. -_-

The weight stayed, mostly.

My daily routine already involves a mile to two mile walk/jog (depends on my arthritis, bleh).
    I also have a pretty healthy intake, I drink 80% water, the rest is 100% juice and maybe a soda once a week, not a big fan anyway.
    My only weakness is cereals that have marshmallows in them...I eat cereal once a day, usually.
    My current cereal in-house is Fruit'n'Yogurt Kellogs. Not too unhealthy.

My car is outta commission (alternator shat out, fixing in a week or so) so until then I need in-home stuff I can do.
    It's a tiny little house, so I don't really have room for a huge work-out space.

Oh, and tag me in your replies because I might forget I posted this. /pokes username/ xP

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,867 times
    Time Online
    563d 5h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    Get active and start running. Try to run more and more distance every time if you can, with faster speeds. @(you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

3. The Following User Says Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

Toasted (01-19-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    467 times
    Time Online
    29d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Thanks Joe.
    Running always seems more intimidating than it really is, I guess.
    I'm always scared I'll blow my knee out again. ;~;
    (Played fb in HS)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    164 times
    Time Online
    15d 11h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    @(you need an account to see links) Even in a small apartment, you can probably clear enough floor space for some HIIT. (High intensity interval training) The Marines call it quarter-decking. There's several different exercises you can do... I lost, and kept off for the most part, 30-35lbs in 3 months doing this maybe once or twice a day.

Here's a video example:

The actual exercises start at 3:26.

and to break up the boring monotony of just running, try Fartleks. (see below video)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Death For This Useful Post:

M.V.P (03-08-2013),Toasted (01-19-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    467 times
    Time Online
    29d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    LOl @ Fartleks, makes me wanna see if I can make a neo account with that name. >_> (Its similar to my last name, as you know, LOL)

But thanks @(you need an account to see links)! That actually really helps a LOT-- seems taking breaks and stopping between sprinting is what really kills me.
    But this seems easier, and more fun!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toasted For This Useful Post:

Death (01-19-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    3d 23h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Are you breast feeding? That alone burns many calories. I dropped a lot of weight from breast feeding and pumping.

OOOOAAARRGGHH!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Meagan For This Useful Post:

Toasted (03-07-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    256 times
    Time Online
    53d 13h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    If you have the $350+ for a static/spinning pole from x-pole, why not pole fitness? I find exercise boring but I cant wait to get my pole, it looks really fun imo and women who try it love it. I looked at youtube vids from the women competing in Miss Pole and just.. wow.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Miri For This Useful Post:

Toasted (03-07-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    12h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    First of all congratulations on losing so much weight before pregnancy. It's awesome that you've already proven you can do it, and your baby is definitely healthier because of your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Joe View Post
    Get active and start running. Try to run more and more distance every time if you can, with faster speeds. @(you need an account to see links)
    Oh boy, so the best way to make friends on this forum is probably not to start out by correcting the person who created the website. Here we go, though.

If you can do what Joe suggested you'll keep burning more and more calories, it's true. There's something about mentally building up slowly (adding .5 miles every 5 days to your daily run so your knees and IT band stay intact) that is really awesome mentally, it makes it possible to stick with a program and you really feel the progression.

However, because of how the body burns calories when you run you probably don't need to push yourself to be running fast the whole time.

Basically, at lower heart rates for exercise (speed walking/slow running) your body relies on fat stores for energy, this is highly a efficient source of calories and it's why heart rate monitors and treadmills will call running in certain lower HR zones (125-130s-145ish) being in the "aerobic" or "fat-burning" zone. So walking and running at a slower pace are actually a great way to burn fat. Here's a note from an awesome page with tons of info on running�though it's geared more towards people who are training for serious races:

The aerobic system is where the powerful hybrid engines lie at the muscular level.

If you lower the pace a bit to an oxygen utilizing zone you get 36-38 ATP per molecule of glucose- this is the gas engine- somewhat efficient as we can store enough glycogen and blood glucose to give 90 minutes or so of activity.
    Now if you slow down a bit more to below the aerobic threshold you can develop the mitochondrial machinery to break down fat into energy. Your efficiency jumps exponentially-460 ATP per fat molecule! This is the electric engine. (Endurance Sports Nutrition p 32). If you have ever driven a Prius, you see the subtle mixing of gas and electric which you cannot detect as the driver. Your body is doing this all the time in exercise. You want more electric! Any activity lasting more than a couple hours is largely electric.
    Quote is from the second page of this essay (an excellent read for any running enthusiast): (you need an account to see links)

As long as I'm quoting this guy, check out his video on healthy running form (250k+ views, this guy ran a sub 2:40:00 marathon in his mid 40's�keep in mind that a 20 year-old would only need to run a 3:05:00 marathon to qualify for Boston. Basically he has put his body on the line with rigorous exercise and good technique, and his body and knees are not 'falling apart,' they're actually healthier).

Let's talk food!!
    But you're already active, which is really important. So the biggest thing you should target to help you lose pounds is your diet. The thing that will wreck your health more than anything else (unless you smoke, then that's your biggest problem) is probably your sugar intake.

I'm going to be the bad guy/bearer of bad news here so I apologize up front. Not trying to be a judgmental jerk.

First (and I was crushed when I discovered this too), although 100% juice has a lot of vitamins, it's still pretty bad for you. Why? Because it is really, really high in sugar. It's honestly almost as bad as drinking lots of sodas, it just gives you some vitamin C or B vitamins along with the sugar.

Regular fruit is an awesome snack because even though it has lots of sugar, there's also lots of natural fiber. The fiber will slow how quickly that sugar gets dumped into your system and will keep the insulin spike that usually occurs after a massive raw sugar intake low. Regular fruit is filling, promotes wakefulness, and won't give you too many calories.

Fuit juice runs straight through your system (if you had enough of it it would cause diarrhea), will give you a sugar rush and then you'll crash later if you don't eat more, and it's packed with calories from fructose.

STOP: After writing for an hour and trying to post the forum auto-logged me out. I lost a bunch of stuff so I'm going to summarize it below.

Unfortunately, even though Special K is supposed to be healthy it's pretty much all sugar. Don't take my word for it: (you need an account to see links)
    Sure the calorie count looks low, but who actually has just 3/4 cup of cereal? There's the amount it actually takes to get you energy for the morning, plus the calories from the milk.

Instead of writing everything I did about sugar I want to post this link to a medical lecture presented for the general public on how sugar works. It will fundamentally change the way you think about diet and what you eat. It's a very long video, with no special effects or whizz-bang moments. Yet it still has over 3 MIL views on youtube. I have yet to see any other video with that kind of track record, and the information in here is spot on:
    I think everyone in the world should watch this, even if you only have time to catch a few minutes at a time while you eat meals (that's when I make time to watch videos).

Personally, I think our government's recommendation info for 'healthy diet' is in the pocket of the corn lobby. The recent one was so bad Harvard medical school released their own food guide for healthy nutrition. It emphasizes more vegetables and less fruits (cuts down on sugar), more protein, and including unprocessed carbs that have a lot more natural fiber. Many nutritionists would want to cut out more carbs but Harvard is right in that if you're going to have grains they should be whole grains:

Of course you could do something really extreme like an old friend of mine did. He and his wife made a deal to only eat whole foods from plant sources for 10 weeks. They lost 15+ and 20+ pounds and their cholesterol dropped down by 45+ and 50+. They also lost their cravings for unhealthy foods a few weeks into the diet, and both report that they feel absolutely incredible now. They were super strict, of course, and you might not want to do something that extreme.

The best thing you could do for your health is to pick a couple easy, achievable goals you can start doing today:
    -Cut juice out entirely, or decide you will only have one juice/soda per week.
    -Park as far away from the front entrance as possible when you get your car back (adds ~2000 steps to most people's day without messing up their schedules at all)
    -snack on vegetables (no sugary/carb-loaded salad dressings or dip) during the day and have fruit for dessert. (after 2 weeks of this the unhealthy stuff starts to taste terrible anyway, your body feels good when you're eating what's good)
    -pick one meal you can modify to include more healthy protein, vegetables, and fats, and cut down on processed carbs and sugars.

Good luck. Please don't consider my post actual medical advice. It is not! I wish you the best success, and would be happy to discuss this further on this thread or via PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    467 times
    Time Online
    29d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by Meagan View Post
    Are you breast feeding? That alone burns many calories. I dropped a lot of weight from breast feeding and pumping.
    Sadly no, I wasn't able to produce. Not only am I in the titty-bitty-titty-committee, but I also just couldn't make any. xD

Quote Originally Posted by m33r33 View Post
    If you have the $350+ for a static/spinning pole from x-pole, why not pole fitness? I find exercise boring but I cant wait to get my pole, it looks really fun imo and women who try it love it. I looked at youtube vids from the women competing in Miss Pole and just.. wow.
    You know I really, really do want to get one; I even talked it over with my hubbs.
    Once we make space in the spare room I just might.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    368 times
    Time Online
    23d 14h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    @(you need an account to see links), I know it's a bit late but in CASE you have another baby, I'd suggest researching ahead of time what foods you can eat to help your milk production (like bran muffins ). I also know that I've had many friends that are moms whose doctors (for WHATEVER the hell reason) kept telling them they weren't producing enough on the first day and encouraged them to switch to bottle feeding. If a doctor EVER told me that I'd immediately switch doctors, no looking back. A baby's stomach is the size of a marble when it's born. It doesn't take much at all to fill itty bitty's belly up. And if you supplement, no way are you ever going to be able to produce enough. Your body is just like Oops, empty! Better make some more. And it'll make a little bit more than the last time. If you use bottles to go with it, you're stretching your baby's stomach to where your boobs can't keep up. ANYWAY, rant over. Ily. I don't exercise for shit but I lost 40 lbs within 3 weeks from having Char/breastfeeding. I'm within 5 pounds of where I was when I got pregnant

16. The Following User Says Thank You to esperanto For This Useful Post:

Meagan (03-08-2013)