Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can someone tl:dr me what's happening in the UK?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    208 times
    Time Online
    98d 13h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    Thanks for this post, I was just reading about how a ton of celebrities were really upset over the way the vote turned out and all I knew about the implications was about how the pound was falling until the bank of England said they had like 250 billion pounds in reserve or something.
    Yes! All that money was "on reserve for funding to the nhs (the service that keeps British healthcare free) once we leave the eu", but as soon as that leave vote came in they confirmed it was a lie and the money wasnt going to the nhs.

we were lied to just like my country was lied to during our vote for independence. fake promises and fearmongering. tories disgust me.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mindfang For This Useful Post:

Banannie (06-24-2016),Hel (06-25-2016)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    95 times
    Time Online
    127d 13h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    Quote Originally Posted by Peridot View Post
    Yes! All that money was "on reserve for funding to the nhs (the service that keeps British healthcare free) once we leave the eu", but as soon as that leave vote came in they confirmed it was a lie and the money wasnt going to the nhs.
    Wow, yeah I just finished reading that off the tumblr post. Disgusting politics right there
    Good news for you since you're from Scotland and you didn't like the outcome of the vote, though: maybe you guys will become independent from England and remain in the EU haha.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxglove For This Useful Post:

DJ Music Man (06-25-2016),Mindfang (06-24-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    208 times
    Time Online
    98d 13h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    Wow, yeah I just finished reading that off the tumblr post. Disgusting politics right there
    Good news for you since you're from Scotland and you didn't like the outcome of the vote, though: maybe you guys will become independent from England and remain in the EU haha.
    yeah im REALLY hoping for another independence bid that doesnt end as bad as last time. scotland voted to remain, so maybe thats a sign were all willing to vote independence this time? i dunno. im remaining tearfully optimistic. pray for us angry alcoholics with bad accents lads.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mindfang For This Useful Post:

Hel (06-25-2016),Teakwood (06-25-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    8d 19h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    We'll have pretty identical laws (and a nice hefty cost to drawing them up) and immigration levels won't change much because we need the wonderful awesome people from overseas to keep the country ticking. Farage backtracking already is hilarious in a really terrible way.

Fucking amazed that lots of people basically voted on one or two issues when the EU is so ridiculously complex. Everytime I read something like "Britain is free/great again!" I just roll my eyes; fucking hell, we live in a rich and peaceful country, it's always been great and free in my almost thirty years here. Get some perspective or at least a better soundbite ffs.

I live in Cornwall, the poorest county in the UK, which received an awful lot of EU grants; without them we'd probably still be stuck using tin can telephones. We are now royally fucked.

People here still voted out overall, deluding themselves that the government will suddenly give a shit about our little slice of poor-as-fuck heaven and throw golden unicorns crapping platinum nuggets our way.
    I heard people banging on about immigrants like they were camped out in their front rooms- the reality being that there are very, very few immigrants in my neck of the woods- and they mainly do harmless unimportant stuff like looking after our elderly in care homes, healing our sick or cooking up some damn fine curry.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the the whole anti-immigrant rhetoric underlining the brexit campaign I probably wouldn't be as bothered as I am now. But damn man, I was hoping that tolerance, unity, all that good shit would win through. Cutting ties with our allies is just such a backwards step.

Totally shimmying my way to Scotland if they vote to leave the UK.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FWD For This Useful Post:

Ariella (06-24-2016),DJ Music Man (06-25-2016),Teakwood (06-25-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    2d 18h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by UMR View Post
    UK voted out of EU
    (Im one of the people that voted out)
    Can you explain why, if you feel comfortable? Not criticizing, genuinely curious American here -- "our" age bracket (your profile says you're 23) overwhelmingly voted to stay in, so I'm wondering about the younger bracket that wanted to leave.
    ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿

* Coming Soon!

(you need an account to see links)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    67 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariella View Post
    Can you explain why, if you feel comfortable? Not criticizing, genuinely curious American here -- "our" age bracket (your profile says you're 23) overwhelmingly voted to stay in, so I'm wondering about the younger bracket that wanted to leave.
    As a foreigner outside the EU im asian
    We had to work really hard to move to UK have apply for Visa then after a year have to apply again and do exams and pass them
    Or easiest way would be to marry a british citizen but get your visa approve
    If your in another EU country they don't have to do much just start work and done does not matter on qualifications or anything no exams for them
    For us outside the EU we gotta be university graduates and work hard

Its just like its easy for the europeans we have many polish people here especially
    Not trying to discriminate or anything but like its not fair they can get here so easily more then us outside the EU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Herb For This Useful Post:

Ariella (06-24-2016),Banannie (06-24-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    2d 18h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by UMR View Post
    As a foreigner outside the EU im asian
    We had to work really hard to move to UK have apply for Visa then after a year have to apply again and do exams and pass them
    Or easiest way would be to marry a british citizen but get your visa approve
    If your in another EU country they don't have to do much just start work and done does not matter on qualifications or anything no exams for them
    For us outside the EU we gotta be university graduates and work hard

Its just like its easy for the europeans we have many polish people here especially
    Not trying to discriminate or anything but like its not fair they can get here so easily more then us outside the EU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok, thank you for sharing. =)

* Coming Soon!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    18d 8h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by FWD View Post
    We'll have pretty identical laws (and a nice hefty cost to drawing them up) and immigration levels won't change much because we need the wonderful awesome people from overseas to keep the country ticking. Farage backtracking already is hilarious in a really terrible way.

Fucking amazed that lots of people basically voted on one or two issues when the EU is so ridiculously complex. Everytime I read something like "Britain is free/great again!" I just roll my eyes; fucking hell, we live in a rich and peaceful country, it's always been great and free in my almost thirty years here. Get some perspective or at least a better soundbite ffs.

I live in Cornwall, the poorest county in the UK, which received an awful lot of EU grants; without them we'd probably still be stuck using tin can telephones. We are now royally fucked.

People here still voted out overall, deluding themselves that the government will suddenly give a shit about our little slice of poor-as-fuck heaven and throw golden unicorns crapping platinum nuggets our way.
    I heard people banging on about immigrants like they were camped out in their front rooms- the reality being that there are very, very few immigrants in my neck of the woods- and they mainly do harmless unimportant stuff like looking after our elderly in care homes, healing our sick or cooking up some damn fine curry.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the the whole anti-immigrant rhetoric underlining the brexit campaign I probably wouldn't be as bothered as I am now. But damn man, I was hoping that tolerance, unity, all that good shit would win through. Cutting ties with our allies is just such a backwards step.

Totally shimmying my way to Scotland if they vote to leave the UK.

Cornwall voters are taking the piss slightly here by the looks of it xD

It has really been a case of cutting off our noses to spite our faces. I really hope it works out as there is no going back. This should never have been a referendum given at least half the voters didn't seem to have a bloody clue wht they were meant to be voting for.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vj87 For This Useful Post:

Ariella (06-24-2016),FWD (06-25-2016),Saitama (06-25-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    403/1
    Mentioned
    734 times
    Time Online
    120d 8h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    As an outsider that knows jack about what happens in Great Britain... I feel like this was a really really bad move :/
    The consequences are proving to be extremely hurtful to the world economy and not even 24 hours have passed yet... Scotland and Northern Ireland are highly likely to vote for independence and that will leave England in an even tighter situation :s
    Also, how can Great Britain simply close themselves to EU? It's not like EU will be "ok, fine, you leave us but we are still good friends", hell no!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    57 times
    Time Online
    6d 11h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I wonder if they were to revote now, since everyone found out Farage and Co. lied about the money, if the vote would still go the same way. Was the immigration issue really the deciding factor?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

(⊃。�́‿�̀。)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚Nique

"Shorten that to 20 words or less!"- Saitama