Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 times
    Time Online
    24d 13h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    I feel there is an inequality of domestic violence because, generally speaking here, men are more powerful physiologically than women. A man being say punched by a woman is more able to defend himself than vice versa (on average). I'm not condoning the act either way but I do tend to side with society. Say a 6 month old baby fell to the ground v a 18 yr old falling to the ground. I would feel more empathy towards the baby just because they are of greater vulnerability.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Knighted View Post
    I feel there is an inequality of domestic violence because, generally speaking here, men are more powerful physiologically than women. A man being say punched by a woman is more able to defend himself than vice versa (on average). I'm not condoning the act either way but I do tend to side with society. Say a 6 month old baby fell to the ground v a 18 yr old falling to the ground. I would feel more empathy towards the baby just because they are of greater vulnerability.
    If Rhonda Rousey hit me I'd die.

Just kidding I do see your point, but I firmly believe that if a woman strikes me, I have the right to defend myself any way necessary. Shit, my best friend (who is a woman and only about 110 pounds soaking wet), is the only person who has ever hit me hard enough to put me to the ground. And I'm 6'1" and 185lbs. Size absolutely does not matter nor does gender when it comes to strength.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 times
    Time Online
    24d 13h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post

Just kidding I do see your point, but I firmly believe that if a woman strikes me, I have the right to defend myself any way necessary. Shit, my best friend (who is a woman and only about 110 pounds soaking wet), is the only person who has ever hit me hard enough to put me to the ground. And I'm 6'1" and 185lbs. Size absolutely does not matter nor does gender when it comes to strength.
    I actually agree with your point there. If someone strikes you, even it's a woman, then you're more than entitled to defend your self on the same method. But I suppose two wrongs don't make a right. Just treat others how you wanted to be treated is what it really boils down to. If you're a woman who happily goes around hitting men, then don't get upset if they retaliate. Don't be hypocritical.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    I actually agree with your point there. If someone strikes you, even it's a woman, then you're more than entitled to defend your self on the same method. But I suppose two wrongs don't make a right. Just treat others how you wanted to be treated is what it really boils down to. If you're a woman who happily goes around hitting men, then don't get upset if they retaliate. Don't be hypocritical.
    Nailed it. Exactly my philosophy

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    1d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post

As someone who has seen a large number of fights, unfortunately- due to my incarceration, I have to disagree. Can a bigger opponent be oversome? yes, but when I have seen a fight where say one opponent is 50% bigger than the other (given they are both in shape) the bigger oponent wins the large majority of the time (although speed is a huge factor as well. Add to that that women are on average weaker pound per pound than men due to testosterone (also testosterone has been shown to speed up reflexes/speed) , and that women are not brought up to glorify fighting the same way men do, and you have a situation where although there is an overlap in the bell curve men most often men are more dominant in the physical extent (and psychologically- and we could argue nature vs. nurture all day (if men and women are the same mentally why are there transgendered people (which I totally believe in))).

Don't get me wrong- I feel women can do what men can do (and even in labor jobs with modern equipment it comes more down to knowing how to use that euipment and teamwork). So the example above- yes there are 110 lb women who can kick ass (although not to be rude- what is your level of skill?) but that is not the norm. As my grandfather, who was a professional boxer, once said "all things being equal the bigger guy wins, but rarely are all things equal."

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

I will also say this- if a 110 pound woman attacks a 220lb male he has a right to defend himself- but self-defense means only using the minimal amount of force reasonable. I would have to use more force against someone the same size/skill as me as opposed to someone I could swat like a fly.

Example: I was driving in a car a long time ago with an ex (not my wife) and she started making crazy threats about running into a telephone poll. I forcibly pulled the car over. She started attacking/clawing etc. At the time (pre-injury) I was 5'8 220lbs and about 8-9% bodyfat (admittedly taking steroids). Now I could have said "I'm going to deck her and knock her out!" But instead I simply held her back. Then the police showed up and she tried to say I was the attacker, they said "why does he have claw marks all over him though and you have not a single mark on you and he is twice your size!" They wanted me to press charges. I said I scraped my face on boxes at a warehouse where I worked (they knew it wasn't true but since I was the vic they simply seperated us and drove her home after warning me I should stay away from her.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

and to add to the Rhonda Rhousy thing: as I said about bell curves- I have yet to see her fight someone like silva or a male champion of her weight.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Here in Aus we have ads on radio etc against both. Everything is serious here doesn't matter what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    1d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by scarmans View Post
    Here in Aus we have ads on radio etc against both. Everything is serious here doesn't matter what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is always serious- even in a situation where a 110lb woman attacks a 300lb man and the PHYSICAL threat is not huge at that time a) emotionally it hurts people b) it makes it nearly impossible to be comfortable around that person ever again (if they attacked me today what other form of abuse might happen? Poison? A gun? etc.)

And even when you end up hurting someone b/c you have to/it is morally right in that situation (ex. self-defense) it is not easy emotionally.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JaimeLannister For This Useful Post:

Naked Gamer (10-25-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    11d 22h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I also believe that it's not just a physical thing but a mental thing, where abuser of the relationship manipulates the other person, and so on. I think the mental state should never be forgotten but I do see where you come from if you only look at the physical part.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    1d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeLannister View Post
    It is always serious- even in a situation where a 110lb woman attacks a 300lb man and the PHYSICAL threat is not huge at that time a) emotionally it hurts people b) it makes it nearly impossible to be comfortable around that person ever again (if they attacked me today what other form of abuse might happen? Poison? A gun? etc.)

And even when you end up hurting someone b/c you have to/it is morally right in that situation (ex. self-defense) it is not easy emotionally.
    I agree 100%- if they attacked me with their fists today who is to say they won't poison me, shoot me, or stab me in the back tomorrow? Now I know those are more extreme and far from everyone who is willing to swing a fist is willing to shoot a gun at someone (why way more simple assaults happen than 1st degree assualts or homicides). But when it comes to a domestic partner, even though I am against all violence other than self-defense, it is especially serious b/c you HAVE to be able to trust that person, sleep next to them (again, although I don't condone barfights b/c I have seen the serious damage that can be done in a simple fist fight, at least you don't sleep next to them).

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 times
    Time Online
    24d 13h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieSheen View Post
    I also believe that it's not just a physical thing but a mental thing, where abuser of the relationship manipulates the other person, and so on. I think the mental state should never be forgotten but I do see where you come from if you only look at the physical part.
    I totally forgot about the mental aspect of it all.