Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Should the Unites States let Syrian refugees in??

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    21d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aska View Post
    I also would like to point out this:
    (you need an account to see links)

We turned away people fleeing the Nazis. Please for the love of God/Gods/Odin/Satan, do NOT REPEAT this history.
    Yes - so much this! People's inability to think logically and objectively terrifies me. WWII was what...70 years ago? Have the lessons learned died with that generation? It is sickening, people can be all offended by what happened to the Jews, and yet be so unmoved or ambivalent at best, when it comes to those being terrorized by ISIS. What happened in France is a reason to defy these animals and fight back, not sit back and be timid, because you know what? Many people lost their lives in Paris, and many in Mali (the most recent terrorist attack), we feel these losses as a global community - but ENTIRE VILLAGES are being massacred, women are being raped repeatedly and exchanged as currency. Children and women are being slaughtered and buried in mass graves a la WWII. These are the things that are going on in the world right now. Families are once again being destroyed on a daily basis, and all in the name of what? And then SOMEHOW, certain elements of the world, and more scarily, in the so called "land of the free," have the AUDACITY to look down upon/with suspicion, these very victims. It is an outrage - shame on those who would turn their backs on another human being in a time like this.
    Queen Bee

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to haiqtpi For This Useful Post:

Aska (11-20-2015),Aura (11-21-2015),hissi (11-20-2015),Maison (11-20-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    137 times
    Time Online
    53d 21h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Let's be real here, it's not like Whither backed up any of her arguments with proper evidence unless you count racist/uninformed comments as evidence? I even asked for evidence/statistics how she knows that most "illegals" are Mexicans/Indians, but she never responded to me. Granted, I was pretty heated after reading through this thread and shouldn't have lashed out, but I think my comments are justified tbh...

It's hardly a discussion to begin with if you read her first post on this thread, filled with unnecessarily racist comments that really had nothing to do with the topic at hand. Like ok we get it, there will always be people who are going through tough times, it's life, but if we're able to help, why not lend a hand where we can? Is <20k refugees going to have an impact on the American economy? Maybe, but would it be drastic enough that it would have an effect on every American citizen? Unlikely.

[/FONT]

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fleur For This Useful Post:

Aura (11-21-2015),haiqtpi (11-20-2015),hissi (11-20-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    135 times
    Time Online
    29d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Perhaps this is a little naive, but I'm all about helping PEOPLE. Regardless of where they currently reside, regardless of what's happened around them in their home. A person who lives anywhere is still a person potentially has a family, people who love them, etc. I don't see the point in turning people away? I can't view it as anything other than being completely fucking ignorant, basing opinions upon stereotypes and being straight up racist. Yeah, there's obviously going to be bad apples in any group of people, but what percentage is that? Regardless of where they were born these are still human beings and I think people should HELP people. We're all of the human race, we should stick together and help each other out. I think people are blinded by fear in situations like this. Shitty things happen, man. No one can control that. But honestly like.. why not try to help people? Improve some innocent lives significantly.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Curse For This Useful Post:

Aura (11-21-2015),hissi (11-20-2015),Maison (11-20-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    142 times
    Time Online
    37d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleur View Post
    Let's be real here, it's not like Whither backed up any of her arguments with proper evidence unless you count racist/uninformed comments as evidence? I even asked for evidence/statistics how she knows that most "illegals" are Mexicans/Indians, but she never responded to me. Granted, I was pretty heated after reading through this thread and shouldn't have lashed out, but I think my comments are justified tbh...

It's hardly a discussion to begin with if you read her first post on this thread, filled with unnecessarily racist comments that really had nothing to do with the topic at hand. Like ok we get it, there will always be people who are going through tough times, it's life, but if we're able to help, why not lend a hand where we can? Is <20k refugees going to have an impact on the American economy? Maybe, but would it be drastic enough that it would have an effect on every American citizen? Unlikely.
    Here's statistics from the US Department of Homeland Security showing the illegal immigrant population. Granted, it's for 2010 and 2012, but I doubt numbers have changed drastically in the last 3 years. Hard to be taken seriously when one of the points she has is factually wrong, but she doesn't deserve to be attacked personally.
    Source: (you need an account to see links)

Last edited by Skarner; 11-20-2015 at 11:50 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    137 times
    Time Online
    53d 21h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarner View Post
    Here's statistics from the US Department of Homeland Security showing the illegal immigrant population. Granted, it's for 2010 and 2012, but I doubt numbers have changed drastically in the last 3 years. Hard to be taken seriously when one of the points she has is factually wrong, but she doesn't deserve to be attacked personally.
    Source: (you need an account to see links)

Oh thanks for that. Looks like the US population is 318.9 million (from Google), and if illegal immigrants comprise a total of 11.4 mil, that's only like 3.5% of the population. Would they really put much of a dent on the American economy though? I'm not trying to justify illegal immigration, but the numbers speak for themselves I think. I did read somewhere in this thread that most illegal immigrants pay for taxes as well (I didn't check for sources to confirm but y'know). Is 20k people going to have an effect on 318.9 million people? That's like 0.006% of the population lol, and they're not illegal either so they'll most definitely be contributing towards the economy once they get settled in
    Last edited by Fleur; 11-21-2015 at 12:13 AM.

[/FONT]

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    21d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    I
    Oh thanks for that. Looks like the US population is 318.9 million (from Google), and if illegal immigrants comprise a total of 11.4 mil, that's only like 3.5% of the population. Would they really put much of a dent on the American economy though? I'm not trying to justify illegal immigration, but the numbers speak for themselves I think. I did read somewhere in this thread that most illegal immigrants pay for taxes as well (I didn't check for sources to confirm but y'know). Is 20k people going to have an effect on 318.9 million people? That's like 0.6% of the population lol, and they're not illegal either so they'll most definitely be contributing towards the economy once they get settled in
    As I mentioned above, those illegal aliens do not even cost the government a fraction of what overweight people do, in terms of taxpayer dollars. Secondly, while I have no source for this statement due to being on my phone, I think that it's fairly safe to say that the refugees will not be taking away from funds already set aside for the American people - there are emergency appropriations that the government can raise. Honesty, regardless of whether or not they contribute, and one can assume that they will, fleeing what they did suggests that they will want to restore a semblance of normality to their lives, they should be looked after. The horrors that the Syrians and Iraqis have endured at the hands of ISIS are life-scarring
    Queen Bee

10. The Following User Says Thank You to haiqtpi For This Useful Post:

Fleur (11-21-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    228 times
    Time Online
    35d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    So by extension if a Syrian refugee said they would be more than willing to work wherever in the Country doing whatever job was available then you would be okay with them coming over? They would be legally coming to the US and I would imagine the majority would be excited for the opportunity to work.
    Absolutely! They would be earning money and contributing and not at all a burden on anyone else. This was just one part of an opinion spun horribly out of control. I didn't mean ANY OF what I said to be racist at all. It was never my intention, hence the note in my post explaining I wasn't racist at all. These are issues covered on the news, and the view of alot of others. Royalty said exactly what i was trying to say, hust worded a whole lot better than i did when i was high lol. It's unfortunate that everyone took it the wrong way. Seriously. I worded it wrong and it sounded a whole lot worse in writing than it did in my head. I should NEVER have made the mistake of mentioning any race. Nor should I have forgotten to add that I wouldnt care at all if in 5 generations there will be no more races. It was literally a thought that popped into my mind when I was typing and then I continued and didn't finish it. If that happened there would be no more racism at all, I actually think that would be wonderful. I've had so many discussions with people about this.

Anyway back to what you asked, the OP asked about illegals in her post and I answered about it. We live right next to brazil, cuba, and mexico. most of the influx of people we get who come here are from those areas. That was why they were mentioned. I just read back what I said about Indians and I can actually see why people took that as racist.. I just said that (again, poorly worded) because generally that is what they do.

I do have the fear aspect of this that was completely breezed over.. I do not think every refugee who comes here is a terrorist, not at all. However, they caught one already who was posing as a refugee. That's scary because it puts a dangerous person right here and they are capable of anything.

I really wish I never responded last night, but rather when I was more clear headed and I could have avoided all of this.

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

Your answer above ^

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

Oh, I didn't answer the financial part.. I tried to think of a good analogy for this, but anyway.. If you think of those stats as a large company, filled with hundreds of employees, but there are 35 people routinely stealing money. While that doesn't sound like alot, it still detriments the entire company's money, all the way from the lowest jobs in the company, all the way to the owner. Some may notice it alot more than others, some not at all.. but it is still money coming out of the company that shouldn't have in the first place. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/1
    Mentioned
    533 times
    Time Online
    134d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    52m
    Quote Originally Posted by Whither View Post
    Absolutely! They would be earning money and contributing and not at all a burden on anyone else. This was just one part of an opinion spun horribly out of control. I didn't mean ANY OF what I said to be racist at all. It was never my intention, hence the note in my post explaining I wasn't racist at all. These are issues covered on the news, and the view of alot of others. Royalty said exactly what i was trying to say, hust worded a whole lot better than i did when i was high lol. It's unfortunate that everyone took it the wrong way. Seriously. I worded it wrong and it sounded a whole lot worse in writing than it did in my head. I should NEVER have made the mistake of mentioning any race. Nor should I have forgotten to add that I wouldnt care at all if in 5 generations there will be no more races. It was literally a thought that popped into my mind when I was typing and then I continued and didn't finish it. If that happened there would be no more racism at all, I actually think that would be wonderful. I've had so many discussions with people about this.

Anyway back to what you asked, the OP asked about illegals in her post and I answered about it. We live right next to brazil, cuba, and mexico. most of the influx of people we get who come here are from those areas. That was why they were mentioned. I just read back what I said about Indians and I can actually see why people took that as racist.. I just said that (again, poorly worded) because generally that is what they do.

I do have the fear aspect of this that was completely breezed over.. I do not think every refugee who comes here is a terrorist, not at all. However, they caught one already who was posing as a refugee. That's scary because it puts a dangerous person right here and they are capable of anything.

I really wish I never responded last night, but rather when I was more clear headed and I could have avoided all of this.

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

Your answer above ^
    Fuck fear. America has troops fighting for freedom for these refugees.
    The least we can do is get over the fear of having the VERY SLIM possibility of one of the refugees being a terrorist.
    These people have actual fear. Trying to get away from these massacres that are just at their doorsteps.
    As far as I'm concerned. they have every reason to be scared. We don't, and we shouldn't be scared. Not of the refugees anyways. Period.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    1,992 times
    Time Online
    279d 19h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 35m
    Quote Originally Posted by Whither View Post
    Neo-nazi hate? Seriously? I made a point and people didn't like it. Frankly, I didn't expect them to. I made the mistake of naming specifics instead of being vague. No one attacked the other person who had the same opinion, just worded differently. Are you ever going to let this go and just leave me alone? You don't like me, I GET IT. You tell me all the time to ignore people who say things to me, so why can't you just ignore me? I did it. You don't have to attack everything I do on here.
    Are you shocked by my choice of words?
    Wow the tables have turned
    This entire message you laid out for me is just gibbering
    It's a repetitive pattern with you
    You have your opinions, you proudly boast them, and often times people disagree with you because the statements you make are ignorant and uneducated and in this case downright fucking racist
    You create these sorts of situations for yourself where you can't back up your argument and start screaming at people to get your point across rather keeping your fucking mouth shut after you say the most ludicrous things and becoming better for it. Rather, you choose to become stubborn and stand by your racist, ignorant and or uneducated statements in an attempt to reinforce them
    Every few months I'll decide to call you out for your stupidity and every few months you'll cry bloody fucking murder like you did here - same goes with everyone who disagrees with your opinion
    I DONT LIKE YOU/STOP TALKING TO ME/I DONT CARE WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY BECAUSE I JUST SAID THE DUMBEST THING IN THE WORLD LIKE IM STATING FACTS BUT CANT BACK IT UP WITH ANY EVIDENCE
    We've been doing this dance for years
    Even telling you to grow the fuck seems futile since that's been done plenty of times already.

You asked me will I let this go and leave you alone. I never really held onto it but sure I'll let it go, will you admit you made an extremely ignorant and racist comment?
    Would be a good first step towards the whole "grow the fuck up Kay you're acting like a fucking child scenario"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Drizzy For This Useful Post:

Mophead (11-21-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    228 times
    Time Online
    35d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mophead View Post
    Fuck fear. America has troops fighting for freedom for these refugees.
    The least we can do is get over the fear of having the VERY SLIM possibility of one of the refugees being a terrorist.
    These people have actual fear. Trying to get away from these massacres that are just at their doorsteps.
    As far as I'm concerned. they have every reason to be scared. We don't, and we shouldn't be scared. Not of the refugees anyways. Period.
    I have fear only because of the one they caught already.. what if that one person made it in and plans a terrorist attack and goes through with it? What other reason would he have had for coming here, other than to carry out some plan? You can't even go to concerts any more. Well I mean you can and the odds are very small someone would do that at YOUR venue, but you know what I mean.

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drizzy View Post
    Are you shocked by my choice of words?
    Wow the tables have turned
    This entire message you laid out for me is just gibbering
    It's a repetitive pattern with you
    You have your opinions, you proudly boast them, and often times people disagree with you because the statements you make are ignorant and uneducated and in this case downright fucking racist
    You create these sorts of situations for yourself where you can't back up your argument and start screaming at people to get your point across rather keeping your fucking mouth shut after you say the most ludicrous things and becoming better for it. Rather, you choose to become stubborn and stand by your racist, ignorant and or uneducated statements in an attempt to reinforce them
    Every few months I'll decide to call you out for your stupidity and every few months you'll cry bloody fucking murder like you did here - same goes with everyone who disagrees with your opinion
    I DONT LIKE YOU/STOP TALKING TO ME/I DONT CARE WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY BECAUSE I JUST SAID THE DUMBEST THING IN THE WORLD LIKE IM STATING FACTS BUT CANT BACK IT UP WITH ANY EVIDENCE
    We've been doing this dance for years
    Even telling you to grow the fuck seems futile since that's been done plenty of times already.

You asked me will I let this go and leave you alone. I never really held onto it but sure I'll let it go, will you admit you made an extremely ignorant and racist comment?
    Would be a good first step towards the whole "grow the fuck up Kay you're acting like a fucking child scenario"
    I am literally never going to change your mind about me or improve your opinion of me in any way nor do I care I just want you to leave me alone like I do to you. Because that's what you told me to do.