Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Should evolution be taught in schools?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/1
    Mentioned
    562 times
    Time Online
    118d 6h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    What's next for humans and evolution? Surely those who have the largest chance of spreading there genetic material are considered the most successfull. But the people with the largest family's ect are not always the "fittest" by our own standards. Surely a business man who works hard all his life and is intelligent with lots of money would be considered a successfull human by many peoples standards. But these people statistically are not having a lot of children or do not have any real benefits that can make them classed as the fittest so are we all going to get dumber?

I don't know it's interesting though and a great subject for schools.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    32d 6h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    I remember when I was in elementary school, we actually were taught about evolution. My one friend said he wasn't allowed to be taught that because it's not what he believed in.

I think the problem is that some people who are religious are not open to ideas or logic. You're wrong and they're right and there's nothing you can do about it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    1d 20h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Teaching it in schools would be a big problem due to people beliefs and the fact we dont even know 100% how we actually got to be in existence.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    100 times
    Time Online
    1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Absolutely it should be taught. It's science. If you don't want your kids being taught evolution, put them in a private Catholic school and let them remain ignorant.

I'm going to be certified to teach in public schools, and among my certifications will be physics. I'd be PISSED if I was told I'm not allowed to teach something like the big bang (which I think is the physics world's equivalent to biology's evolution) just because there's religious discourse. That's the accepted science. Take it or leave it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    32d 6h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by killakizer View Post
    Teaching it in schools would be a big problem due to people beliefs and the fact we dont even know 100% how we actually got to be in existence.
    Which is why they're taught as theories and not actual fact.

We're not allowed to teach them, "Hey, somebody thinks different than your God, and that's okay."
    Last edited by Brittanee; 07-23-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    4h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Riku View Post
    Absolutely it should be taught. It's science. If you don't want your kids being taught evolution, put them in a private Catholic school and let them remain ignorant.

I'm going to be certified to teach in public schools, and among my certifications will be physics. I'd be PISSED if I was told I'm not allowed to teach something like the big bang (which I think is the physics world's equivalent to biology's evolution) just because there's religious discourse. That's the accepted science. Take it or leave it.
    The Big Bang Theory was developed by a priest Just saying lol. Point taken though. I think the Big Bang is more accepted by the religious community because it "fits" better with their side of things than evolution does. Evolution completely contradicts religion in many aspects. There are some people who believe that both can coincide, but honestly I think that is just a way of trying to contort the evidence to fit what you want it to fit.
    Which is exactly what my problem is with religious people. Instead of looking at the facts and then drawing conclusions, they first come up with their conclusion, and then try to make the facts fit with their story. The facts that don't fit are rejected. It's basically breaking the fundamental rules of good science.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    100 times
    Time Online
    1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakz View Post
    The Big Bang Theory was developed by a priest Just saying lol. Point taken though. I think the Big Bang is more accepted by the religious community because it "fits" better with their side of things than evolution does. Evolution completely contradicts religion in many aspects. There are some people who believe that both can coincide, but honestly I think that is just a way of trying to contort the evidence to fit what you want it to fit.
    Which is exactly what my problem is with religious people. Instead of looking at the facts and then drawing conclusions, they first come up with their conclusion, and then try to make the facts fit with their story. The facts that don't fit are rejected. It's basically breaking the fundamental rules of good science.
    Yup, I know. Georges Lemaitre. But he didn't agree with it "fitting" into Genesis; Pope Pius is the one who began that whole crock of shit. Lemaitre actually publically disagreed with Pius in 1951. Ironically, Pius never mentioned it again. Silly pope. Lemaitre has a really amazing quote that goes something like "This theory remains entirely outside the realm of any metaphysical or religious circumstance."

As for the rest of your post: exactly.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Riku For This Useful Post:

Sneakz (07-23-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    60 times
    Time Online
    19d 17h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I think it should be taught in highschool so kids at least have a foundation of what their views are already then if they change they change no big deal. Not in elmentry and stuff though the brain is still learning much and nothing completly concrete

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakz View Post
    Which is exactly what my problem is with religious people.
    I didn't have a problem with you until you had a problem with me and mine.

Don't lump us into one mindless bundle and insult us. I believe in God and will until the day i meet him for my judgement day. Why are you trying to disprove an entire group of people because you don't like them?

Why does being right matter to you so much? As far as I'm concerned you're just as bad as the evil religious people who try to prove you wrong. We're exactly the same. You're doing to religion what they've been doing to everyone else. Don't get pissed. Prove me wrong some more. Show me there's no god. PROVE to me that a divine source didn't start the universe.

Explain to me as you would a stupid child, that there is without a doubt no god. Then i will accept that evolution should be taught in schools minus creationism. They can both be taught, but you want it strictly evolution. Tell me how you know how the universe functions. I'd love to see your proof that my God doesn't exist.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    103/4
    Mentioned
    640 times
    Time Online
    15d 12h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    If you guys can't have a civilized debate without someone attacking another person for their beliefs, then don't post here.

Carry on.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan~ For This Useful Post:

bobby123456 (07-23-2012)