Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is something you're so STRONGLY opinionated about that you have hard time even discussing it?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    83/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    5d 20h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by zxzero View Post
    Nothing i have no subject that i mind talking about I love to hear others opinions on everything even if it goes against my beliefs. I love the way the human mind works and the way that people brought up in different circumstances and environments have adapted to that. Really interesting to me honestly. I kinda want to go back to school to become a psychologist.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
    i love this way of thinking and i wish i could get past my biases and see disagreements as more scientific than personal or ignorant

2. The Following User Says Thank You to funtimes For This Useful Post:

zxzero (07-26-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    135 times
    Time Online
    29d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    transgender/non-binary genders might be my number one thing
    strictly because from a young age we're told there are "boys" and "girls" and that boys have male genitalia and females have female genitalia
    gender is not black and white, there is so much grey area in between

another is mental illness and how people view it as a "flaw" in their personality
    obviously mental illness isn't something fun or a "good" part of someone, but almost everyone has something going on
    some people are good at faking it, or maybe they're on medication or perhaps they're super open about it
    but having a mental illness doesn't make anyone any less of a person nor does it define WHO they are

there's a lot more, but in the end i just hate really intolerant, judgmental, ignorant people

but if someone on the internet says something i don't agree with, i wouldn't jump down their throats
    i just kinda let them do their thing and just don't associate myself with them on a personal level?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Curse For This Useful Post:

Elf (07-24-2015),Emily (07-24-2015),Lyric (07-24-2015),Winona (07-25-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    186 times
    Time Online
    102d 11h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    "i just hate really intolerant, judgmental, ignorant people" @(you need an account to see links) YES OMG haha those are the worst kind of people

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    83/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    5d 20h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    transgender/non-binary genders might be my number one thing
    strictly because from a young age we're told there are "boys" and "girls" and that boys have male genitalia and females have female genitalia
    gender is not black and white, there is so much grey area in between

another is mental illness and how people view it as a "flaw" in their personality
    obviously mental illness isn't something fun or a "good" part of someone, but almost everyone has something going on
    some people are good at faking it, or maybe they're on medication or perhaps they're super open about it
    but having a mental illness doesn't make anyone any less of a person nor does it define WHO they are

there's a lot more, but in the end i just hate really intolerant, judgmental, ignorant people

but if someone on the internet says something i don't agree with, i wouldn't jump down their throats
    i just kinda let them do their thing and just don't associate myself with them on a personal level?
    i think transphobic people are usually awful, but a lot of times, i think they genuinely don't understand. gender has been drilled into us since day 1, and up until recently, it hasn't really been a discourse being held in a public setting. especially with adults... like my grandma, for example, has a hard time understanding because of how she was socialized and the time period she grew up in. i've been patiently trying to explain (because of all the fuss caitlyn jenner is causing), and i know she isn't a hateful person. i can usually have those conversations as long as the people i am speaking to are mostly just confused

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    135 times
    Time Online
    29d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by maddie View Post
    i think transphobic people are usually awful, but a lot of times, i think they genuinely don't understand. gender has been drilled into us since day 1, and up until recently, it hasn't really been a discourse being held in a public setting. especially with adults... like my grandma, for example, has a hard time understanding because of how she was socialized and the time period she grew up in. i've been patiently trying to explain (because of all the fuss caitlyn jenner is causing), and i know she isn't a hateful person. i can usually have those conversations as long as the people i am speaking to are mostly just confused
    okay, the reason that i get so frustrated with people is because i was brought up in a very racist, homophobic, transphobic, misogynistic household
    that being said, with all that negativity being packed into my tiny little head i still managed to gather my own opinions and educate myself
    and the education system should really be going over these things (i've been out of school for years, so i'm not sure if it's something that's talked about)

i understand you "can't teach an old dog new tricks" but it's unfortunate when people who are grown ass adults still think it's "wrong" or transgender people are "messed in the head" because they are then reinforcing old, outdated views of gender and people in general. they are passing that down to their children and some of them might not be intelligent enough to make their own opinions and read some information on these topics. a lot of kids view their parents as some kind of all-knowing being or "godlike" figure, even. kids are influenced strictly by their parents, teachers, whoever else. if people are constantly passing down these opinions generation after generation then this issue will never be solved. transgender, non-binary gendered beings will always be thought of negatively and i can't even begin to explain how disgusting that is to me. a person is a person regardless of gender, sexual preference, sex, race, mental illness, disability, anything. we are all equals.

it's unfortunate and scary and really, really sad that not everyone shares these same opinions.

ok /endrant

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curse For This Useful Post:

Aska (07-24-2015),Elf (07-24-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/0
    Mentioned
    191 times
    Time Online
    45d 20h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    okay, the reason that i get so frustrated with people is because i was brought up in a very racist, homophobic, transphobic, misogynistic household
    that being said, with all that negativity being packed into my tiny little head i still managed to gather my own opinions and educate myself
    and the education system should really be going over these things (i've been out of school for years, so i'm not sure if it's something that's talked about)

i understand you "can't teach an old dog new tricks" but it's unfortunate when people who are grown ass adults still think it's "wrong" or transgender people are "messed in the head" because they are then reinforcing old, outdated views of gender and people in general. they are passing that down to their children and some of them might not be intelligent enough to make their own opinions and read some information on these topics. a lot of kids view their parents as some kind of all-knowing being or "godlike" figure, even. kids are influenced strictly by their parents, teachers, whoever else. if people are constantly passing down these opinions generation after generation then this issue will never be solved. transgender, non-binary gendered beings will always be thought of negatively and i can't even begin to explain how disgusting that is to me. a person is a person regardless of gender, sexual preference, sex, race, mental illness, disability, anything. we are all equals.

it's unfortunate and scary and really, really sad that not everyone shares these same opinions.

ok /endrant
    My father is exactly like that and that is why I barely associate with him. I was creeping on his Facebook the other day and saw when Caitlyn Jenner received her courage award, he posted a meme about how that isn't courage. It really made me disgusted to see such bigotry and be related to it. If there is any news story about her, he always made some a-hole response to it. Try to have a debate with him about it and he just walks away. I guess having an open mind is scary??

I hate everyone equally and that is how I was raised by my mother.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    45/0
    Mentioned
    36 times
    Time Online
    68d 2h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    25m
    I really can't even talk to people anymore if they say something ignorant like they "don't believe" in evolution or global warming. I just don't take them seriously anymore and it's not even a topic I can get into because it makes me so angry that people can be so fucking stupid.

Pretty much the same with people against gay marriage and abortion.

So basically I don't talk to any of my family members about anything beyond general chit-chat.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ent For This Useful Post:

Emily (07-24-2015)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    208 times
    Time Online
    98d 13h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    Quote Originally Posted by pikyuu View Post
    i'm on the extreme opposite of this view, honestly. i've always found it kind of funny people complain about people who have studied mental health not being qualified and just being people who fetishise mental illness. most of the people i've seen complain about that kind of thing are people who self-diagnose themselves with conflicting mental illnesses and act as if people who have studied for years aren't qualified to diagnose them with x, y, or z. i think that my inability to discuss it comes from me being unable to see their view and the people i've tried to discuss it with just jumping to direct insults. every time i try to discuss it i find myself having a really hard time seeing their view beyond a few points.
    theres a lot of classism, racism, and general ableism ingrained in the psychiatric community that makes self diagnosis vital for some people. most people who self dx are usually going by a trial and error type approach, which ive received plenty a time from people with actual degrees in psychiatry. the only reason im able to receive help is because its free on the nhs, most people cant afford treatment or even analysis, so self-dx is the only option they have. usually it means they cant be medicated, but even just knowing what your issue may be makes it easier to work with/around it.

ive spent a lot of time around mental health officials or whatever, theyve usually treated me more like an object or some type of puzzle to be figured out. there was a time where i came in with issues i thought i may have had (schizophrenia in this case), and was told i wouldnt be able to tell because im autistic, then my gender identity was questioned both based on my autism diagnosis and belief that i was schizophrenic? i didnt appreciate the implication that i couldnt figure out my own damn mind because it doesnt work correctly. and hey, turns out i actually did have schizophrenia! but as soon as i mentioned their insistence that i didnt, they got all cagey and pulled the "ER, WHO HAS THE DEGREE HERE KID? YEAH" card instead of, like, apologising for leaving me hanging so long under the belief i was, what, too mental to know i was literally hallucinating? not very good at social cues so i couldnt tell i was delusional? i dont understand their thought process.

its also incredibly hard to tell if someone is genuinely trying to help, or if theyre just "fascinated" by you. whenever i meet a psych student they try and pick me apart just from hearing of certain illnesses i have, ive noticed i get a lot more respect as a person when people in some psych classes or with a degree in it dont know these things (dangerous! because people not knowing of certain issues with me can end in pretty upsetting situations for them!), and as soon as it comes to light, im suddenly their lab rat and all they see is this psycho they need to analyse every inch of! its infuriating and exhausting.

and before we get into the whole "not ALL psychiatrists" shite, im well aware. ive got one (1) (out of about 12 that ive been with over the years!) psychiatrist im currently working with who has been a massive help and actually listens and treats me like a person with problems and not a lab experiment. i see him every, what, 8 months? but he helps in those times. and hey well done if you get through all that psychiatry classes and actually get your degree, its a lot of work, but just because you passed some tests does not mean youre to be automatically trusted with your word taken as gospel. you should listen to the patients!!! theyre the ones who know how their brains work far better than you do.

i am extremely edgy of psychiatric officials because theyve been nothing but trouble for me in the years ive had to deal with my own brain fisting itself. i fully believe in self diagnosis because its helped me and other doctors pinpoint what my issues are. im far from fully functional because its taken so long for them to take me seriously, and also because itd be all i have if it wasnt for free healthcare.

sorry if this seems like im jumping down your throat or anything, i dont mean to come across as too aggressive. this is why i dont really enjoy debates or anything, i think i do come across as too aggressive and wording things is difficult for me >______> im not as hostile as i might seem.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mindfang For This Useful Post:

Jessica (08-17-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    8d 22h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    One thing is people who refuse to neuter/spay their cats. They think it's such a horrible idea to take away an animal's ability to procreate--totally dismissing the fact that there is an overabundance of cats and a solid problem with feline overpopulation... It's also healthier for the cats' lives in the long run to be fixed. But no, whether they think it's "inhumane" or are too lazy or don't want to invest $35~$70, a lot of people just refuse to get their cats fixed. Every time I see a friend on Facebook posting about the lovely kittens her cat just birthed and offering them to her friends who will want to adopt... Despite everyone else cooing and posting "I want one!" "So cute!" "OMG", I'm just shaking my head and really wanting to tell the OP "PLEASE NEUTER/FIX YOUR CAT... And if anyone wants a kitten in the first place, PLEASE adopt one at a cat rescue! There's already kittens and cats out there who need loving homes and y'all out here birthing kittens cause you think it's cute and shit."

But yeah, I don't really say that kind of stuff because people are dumb and get offended and will probably assume their actions don't impact the overall picture.

I also really fucking hate people who just ditch their pets when the going gets tough. I live in an apartment and the girl who lives above me had a cat for 6 years. When she had to move out to a new apartment with her new boyfriend (who dislikes cats), she left her 6-year-old cat behind to live wild around the apartment. My family and I helped keep this cat alive every day for a few months by giving her wet food and water. Over time she was getting dirtier and her eye was obviously catching an infection. Luckily my mom found a cat rescue thru her personal Korean forum that was willing to take this cat in. Ironically, on the day of this cat's transferring from the apartments to the woman from the cat rescue who would take her in, her old owner came by. Apparently this chick drops by the apartment now and then to "check up" on the cat. She helped deliver the cat to the cat rescue representative, and when the previous owner asked the latter, "Later on, can I adopt her back?" She was told No and started bawling.

Seriously, do you think an animal is an item you can simply abandon and come back for when you feel like it? God... (And of course, she hadn't fixed her cat either. With it roaming around wild, it's a miracle this cat did not get pregnant.)

And just recently in my apartment another person just shut their doors on their cat. This second cat is now roaming the apartments meowing profusely at night.

OK, you don't want the cat you were raising anymore, but you can't BOTHER to find a cat rescue that will take it in? You're fine with just throwing it out the house where it could catch infections, parasites, diseases, go hungry, etc?

Fucking humans
    Last edited by goldentryst; 07-25-2015 at 03:32 AM.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to goldentryst For This Useful Post:

Boob (09-05-2015),Double.Trouble (09-09-2015),Jessica (08-17-2015),LaVieBoheme (08-05-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 times
    Time Online
    12d 10h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

ok /endrant

you're able to educate yourself in this day & age because it's now very socially acceptable to be gay, and increasingly acceptable to be trans. as society changes, people's opinions change. back in my parents day everyone smoked because they were none the wiser to how terrible smoking is for your health, these days a lot less people smoke because people get educated on how bad it is and there's a lot of advertising/talk about how bad it is!

it's the same with trans/gay people. we are now coming into an age where (like i said before) it's very acceptable to be these things..
    however, people who aren't used to it/are used to a different way of life/growing up, will either be confused or find it hard to accept depending on how stuck in their ways they are/how traditionalist they are etc.

i have a lot of tattoos and my parents associate them with bikies/navy people because in THEIR day that's who got them, not 'pretty young girls with such a bright future' ahead of them!!1

it doesn't make them stupid or bad or anything, they just have a different opinion because of what they're used to.

you can't put it down to 'education' and almost insult someones intelligence for having a different opinion, in a generation or so time you'll have the majority of people accepting/understanding of it but right now it's still relatively new.. you picking up what I'm putting down? i think this is all @(you need an account to see links) was trying to say.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sick For This Useful Post:

Jessica (08-17-2015),pikyuu (07-25-2015)