Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quitting a job you just started?

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    249 times
    Time Online
    27d 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    34m

Quitting a job you just started?

Hey ya'll! No time no see

So... I've found myself in a bit of a whirlwind lately, and I wanted to reach out to this community for some advice and share some fun or toxic experiences . I recently left a somewhat toxic job where I had been for two years without a raise, despite taking on more responsibilities. I decided to make a change and accepted a new position as a manager for a creative team at a company that seemed promising.

However, in just THREE WEEKS, three team members quit (one every week), and one was let go. I started to see a pattern emerge, and I began to worry. Then, this week I received two job offers that would increase my salary by 35k and were at more organized companies. I've made my decision, and I'm thrilled about it, especially because it's the first time I've ever had multiple job offers at once.

Here's the catch: I have to start my new job next Wednesday, which means I need to quit my current job tomorrow. It's going to be an immediate departure, and I'll need to explain to my boss that this new opportunity is too good to pass up.

Has anyone here ever been in a similar situation? What would you do or have you done in a similar circumstance? I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Selling my NC Closet & UC Mutant and Darigan Hissi
    (you need an account to see links)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kibba For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (09-29-2023),♥ lint ♥ (09-29-2023),♥ pillowfighter ♥ (09-30-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    29d 2h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 43m
    You're making the right move in my opinion. At the end of the day companies don't really care about employees as you experienced with the first job you mentioned that lasted 2 years. The current turnover rate for your new company is beyond scary and doesn't inspire confidence for your future job security. A 35K jump in salary is huge and you should always look out for your own interests when it comes to your career path. All the best with your new role and congrats!

Profile Pic thanks to @Lyrichord & Signature made by @Polorin!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Predict For This Useful Post:

Kibba (09-28-2023),NeopetLandy (09-28-2023),Zenitsu (09-28-2023)

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    12d 21h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    51m
    Congrats on your new role! That is exciting. Me personally, I would just say "dueces" and clock out. Write a letter to your boss explaining that you will not be returning due to a more competitive job offer that you cannot say no to. Bosses understand this. Even though they don't like it, they understand the move. Always have a paper trail. Also, apologize for such a short notice resignation in the letter. But that's all you need to put. Sign and date it. Keep a copy for yourself.

Huge shoutout to (you need an account to see links) for my amazing Custom UB!

Huge shout out to (you need an account to see links)for my amazing Thirteen siggie graphic!

Rebel the Otter and her little friend, Jinxy the teddy bear, was drawn by (you need an account to see links)! Thank you so much for this perfect vision of my emo otter!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel_Minx For This Useful Post:

Kibba (09-28-2023)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    249 times
    Time Online
    27d 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    34m
    Quote Originally Posted by Predict View Post
    You're making the right move in my opinion. At the end of the day companies don't really care about employees as you experienced with the first job you mentioned that lasted 2 years. The current turnover rate for your new company is beyond scary and doesn't inspire confidence for your future job security. A 35K jump in salary is huge and you should always look out for your own interests when it comes to your career path. All the best with your new role and congrats!

Yeah, you're right with the fact that companies don't really care, when they're gonna fire you they're just gonna fire you without notice.

Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel_Minx View Post
    Congrats on your new role! That is exciting. Me personally, I would just say "dueces" and clock out. Write a letter to your boss explaining that you will not be returning due to a more competitive job offer that you cannot say no to. Bosses understand this. Even though they don't like it, they understand the move. Always have a paper trail. Also, apologize for such a short notice resignation in the letter. But that's all you need to put. Sign and date it. Keep a copy for yourself.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH TRUST ME, I would do the ''DEUCES'' move but my boss is kind of my friend (He was one of my good friends boyfriend for a time) and I don't want to knock the wrong door hahaha!

Thanks

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kibba For This Useful Post:

Predict (09-29-2023),Rebel_Minx (09-30-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    957 times
    Time Online
    117d 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Seconding what Predict and Rebel_Minx said! For sure be respectful and polite in your notice but absolutely take the opportunity. I think that since your boss is someone you're on good terms with that might even lessen the blow (if they're your friend they should have your best interests at heart from the friend department and be happy for your opportunity) but even if the company is shit try not to burn any bridges! Congrats though, this is huge and I really hope the new gig is stable and not full of crazies

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Kibba (09-29-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    385 times
    Time Online
    90d 1h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibba View Post
    Hey ya'll! No time no see

So... I've found myself in a bit of a whirlwind lately, and I wanted to reach out to this community for some advice and share some fun or toxic experiences . I recently left a somewhat toxic job where I had been for two years without a raise, despite taking on more responsibilities. I decided to make a change and accepted a new position as a manager for a creative team at a company that seemed promising.

However, in just THREE WEEKS, three team members quit (one every week), and one was let go. I started to see a pattern emerge, and I began to worry. Then, this week I received two job offers that would increase my salary by 35k and were at more organized companies. I've made my decision, and I'm thrilled about it, especially because it's the first time I've ever had multiple job offers at once.

Here's the catch: I have to start my new job next Wednesday, which means I need to quit my current job tomorrow. It's going to be an immediate departure, and I'll need to explain to my boss that this new opportunity is too good to pass up.

Has anyone here ever been in a similar situation? What would you do or have you done in a similar circumstance? I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences.
    Job hopping is no longer weird. On linkedin it is recommended in your youth as the best way to increase your salary. You are in a great position to negotiate with multiple offers. I would not stay in the job, you haven't created bonds so you should be able to leave easily. I would go for it. I actually hate change so that's saying something.

Like You @(you need an account to see links) said when you have connections it makes it more difficult so at least its only the boss? Friends are always just friends when it suite them its actually very rare that friends care so if its a real friend he will understand and wish you well. If not, wont even care. Maybe its a wake up call that something is wrong and the boss need to offer higher salaries or a better work environment to keep people

Definitly let us know how it went and if the new job is going well and if you and the old boss stay friends
    Last edited by phantasia; 09-29-2023 at 02:48 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to phantasia For This Useful Post:

Kibba (09-29-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    187 times
    Time Online
    46d 4h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    You're taking the right call! More salary, more organised company, and better environment than your current workplace by the sound of it. Good luck at your new job!

Not mine, but my wife's experience. She's a junior partner at a pretty big law firm now. At her previous job, she was about to make junior partner, along with 2 others, when suddenly the senior partners decided to create another level before junior partner so as to effectively not make them partners. The nail in the coffin? - that newly created level had two new heads who would eat into your salary, effectively making the promotion a demotion as you'd end up making lesser money than before!

For context they had a base salary and then they'd make 10% of every case they worked on. The new 'promoted role' would see them make only 3-5% instead of 10%, as their new 'boss' would get the remaining share. Needless to say they all quit shortly after and have great jobs now.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Infected For This Useful Post:

Kibba (09-29-2023)

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    259 times
    Time Online
    30d 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Send it Kibba. In the working field always do you FIRST always!

I remember when i first started as a maintenance lead at a lunchables processioning plant, they never told me i was going to be the acting manager too.

There was an older gentleman who hated my guts because i was a 21 year old overseeing his day and he was 51 lol. They kept this guy here as a mechanical apprentice for years... Anyways. The issue was i accepted the job as a technician not as a manager. So i was underpaid and working longer hours.

The week went like this: Monday- interviewed. Tuesday- found out about my "promotion" and worked as normal. Wednesday- Dealt with some maintenance calls and left for lunch. Thursday- Never came back and got a different job immediately.

They never called nor did i care. Do what makes you happy and not what restricts your life. Personally the only thing you should explain is that you found a new opportunity and youd rather not miss it! Good luck old company lol.

&& congrats on your uprise bud!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post:

Kibba (09-29-2023)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    8d 20h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I once quit a job after 2 hours. Was out by the first break.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Scarblade For This Useful Post:

Kibba (09-29-2023)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    249 times
    Time Online
    27d 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    34m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    Seconding what Predict and Rebel_Minx said! For sure be respectful and polite in your notice but absolutely take the opportunity. I think that since your boss is someone you're on good terms with that might even lessen the blow (if they're your friend they should have your best interests at heart from the friend department and be happy for your opportunity) but even if the company is shit try not to burn any bridges! Congrats though, this is huge and I really hope the new gig is stable and not full of crazies
    Thanks, I hope the new job is a good fit, or else, I'll be regretting rejecting the second option I had.

Quote Originally Posted by phantasia View Post
    Job hopping is no longer weird. On linkedin it is recommended in your youth as the best way to increase your salary. You are in a great position to negotiate with multiple offers. I would not stay in the job, you haven't created bonds so you should be able to leave easily. I would go for it. I actually hate change so that's saying something.

Like You @(you need an account to see links) said when you have connections it makes it more difficult so at least its only the boss? Friends are always just friends when it suite them its actually very rare that friends care so if its a real friend he will understand and wish you well. If not, wont even care. Maybe its a wake up call that something is wrong and the boss need to offer higher salaries or a better work environment to keep people

Definitly let us know how it went and if the new job is going well and if you and the old boss stay friends
    Were not quite real ''Friends'' but ya'll get me. I hope they don't hold a grunge on me for this but, It is what it is, we have to choose US first, cuz they are doing the same. THANKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Infected View Post
    You're taking the right call! More salary, more organised company, and better environment than your current workplace by the sound of it. Good luck at your new job!

Not mine, but my wife's experience. She's a junior partner at a pretty big law firm now. At her previous job, she was about to make junior partner, along with 2 others, when suddenly the senior partners decided to create another level before junior partner so as to effectively not make them partners. The nail in the coffin? - that newly created level had two new heads who would eat into your salary, effectively making the promotion a demotion as you'd end up making lesser money than before!

For context they had a base salary and then they'd make 10% of every case they worked on. The new 'promoted role' would see them make only 3-5% instead of 10%, as their new 'boss' would get the remaining share. Needless to say they all quit shortly after and have great jobs now.
    Damn, they did her dirty real hard... Great that they're in better places now

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Send it Kibba. In the working field always do you FIRST always!

I remember when i first started as a maintenance lead at a lunchables processioning plant, they never told me i was going to be the acting manager too.

There was an older gentleman who hated my guts because i was a 21 year old overseeing his day and he was 51 lol. They kept this guy here as a mechanical apprentice for years... Anyways. The issue was i accepted the job as a technician not as a manager. So i was underpaid and working longer hours.

The week went like this: Monday- interviewed. Tuesday- found out about my "promotion" and worked as normal. Wednesday- Dealt with some maintenance calls and left for lunch. Thursday- Never came back and got a different job immediately.

They never called nor did i care. Do what makes you happy and not what restricts your life. Personally the only thing you should explain is that you found a new opportunity and youd rather not miss it! Good luck old company lol.

&& congrats on your uprise bud!
    That's what my friends are telling me, just go, they'll find someone else xD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scarblade View Post
    I once quit a job after 2 hours. Was out by the first break.
    LMFAOOOO THAT'S WILD!

My economy is not that good rn for me to do that xD

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kibba For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (09-29-2023),Ice (09-29-2023)