7/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    8d 21h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

Using the NeoDAQ to predict population

Someone made a board a while ago discussing the current population of Neopia, and the estimates out there were wildly different. Ranging from a few hundred users to upwards of 10,000. While I personally think the site probably has 5-6,000+ unique users visiting daily, there isn't any actual thing on the site that displays this information anymore. People can make guesses based on neoboard activity, trading post lots and auctioned items, as well as participation in the various contests. But there is also one aspect that displays a hard number, showing somewhat accurately how many users complete that daily: the stock market.

If you visit the stock market page at (you need an account to see links), you'll see there is a column for "Volume". Volume is how many of each stock has been purchased that day.

For today, July 9, a total volume of 350,466 stocks have been purchased (at the time of me writing this, 10:47 NST). That is as few as 351 people, assuming they all bought 1,000 shares and one person bought 466. I'd say this could stretch up to 450 or so, as some people bought only 2 stock volume or 20 stock volume. Obviously, not everyone uses stocks as a daily but for a lot of people it's on the list so this can be a strong indicator on site popularity.

Thanks to the people over at NeoDAQ.com there is a wonderful aggregate of all stock market volumes since 2002 which will put a bit of history and context into these numbers: (you need an account to see links)

The blue line represents the amount of shares sold, while the black line represents the NeoDAQ price overall. The chart represents a little weird, so when the number on the right says 2,000 it actually means 200,000 shares were sold. As you can see, back in the peak of 2007/2008 as many as 2,300,000 shares were sold daily which equates to at LEAST 2,300 people buying stocks daily. Because of the influx of new users not knowing how the market works, people not buying their full 1,000 stocks, this number meant probably 4,000+ people were buying stocks daily.

What is also interesting is that you can hone in the results and see hour by hour updates to see when people most commonly buy stocks throughout the day. Most people buy right at the midnight rollover, then it filters off through the day with a spike around 5-6pm NST.

While this isn't a fully accurate representation of the site's users, due to not everyone using this as a daily, it can help you compare numbers to the past to give you an idea of how many people are actively using the site, as well as what times they are completing their dailies at.
    (you need an account to see links)
    I sell articles, stories, poems, and more for your avatar and trophy needs!

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Blovey For This Useful Post:

Aska (07-10-2017),AyBeCee (07-10-2017),Binah (07-10-2017),Dahotsnow (07-10-2017),I_royalty_I (07-10-2017),Infiniti (07-10-2017),j03 (07-10-2017),Raposa (07-12-2017),Sakuras (07-10-2017),VultureRoxie (07-10-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    108/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    49d 8h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I guarantee there is less than 3000 unique people signing into neopets a day. When they still had the feature available, just before they took it away, there was never more than 1000 accs logged in at the same time. As far back as I can remember it was hitting 3-4000 people at a time. So 7 years later its definitely way less than that. The site is dying, and there is no argument there unless they change things, and change them soon.
    [11:06 PN] domenick: you cant fix stupid
    [11:06 PM] andrew: unfortunately not lol

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dom~ For This Useful Post:

jonatas121 (07-11-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    8d 21h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom~ View Post
    I guarantee there is less than 3000 unique people signing into neopets a day. When they still had the feature available, just before they took it away, there was never more than 1000 accs logged in at the same time. As far back as I can remember it was hitting 3-4000 people at a time. So 7 years later its definitely way less than that. The site is dying, and there is no argument there unless they change things, and change them soon.
    No doubt the site is dying but even 1,000 people on at a time could be 10,000+ per day (people that log in for 5 minutes just to do dailies or play a couple flash games or feed their pets). I'm not saying 5-10,000 super active users, just people clicking onto the site.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    57/0
    Mentioned
    40 times
    Time Online
    34d 1h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    Wasn't there one for altador and it hit 10,000+ visiting his site, I doubt all of the current users went there... so must be more than 10k?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    160/0
    Mentioned
    131 times
    Time Online
    206d 19h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 24m
    That is interesting, but I think only a small amount of people buy stocks. I personally don't and I knew a lot of people who didn't as well. I think if the number was that low they wouldn't even bother with the site. since the FB page has over 200k likes only 4k visitors a day would be really really pitiful.

✧・゚: *✧ (you need an account to see links) ✧*:・゚✧

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    25d 11h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom~ View Post
    That's not true. When the counter was still working, during normal hours of the day (in the US), it was around 5-10,000 people because it eventually got "stuck" on like around 3-6k when it stopped working.
    Add salt to taste!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Salivating Slorg For This Useful Post:

derpherpherp (07-11-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    28d 2h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I was expecting you to compare previous year's stock market buys to the known population of daily active users that year to get an approximate percentage of users who use the stock market. Then with that percentage you could get a rough estimate by extrapolating the current estimated number of stock market buys and using the percentage. I believe that would provide a more accurate estimate.
    It's safe to say that roughly the same percentage of people are still interested in stocks as they were a few years ago.
    PM me to see what I have up for sale! Always selling UCs/NP/Accounts!
    Offering free PIN cracks to Clraik rank (and higher!), just shoot me a PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Urbex For This Useful Post:

Blovey (07-10-2017)

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,871 times
    Time Online
    564d 11h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    This is some cool data but definitely no where near accurate enough to show how many people play still.

There are people who visit boards, people who just do stocks, food club, play the flash games, train their pets, etc.

There is so many different ways one can play Neopets. There are many that will do one thing and not the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

13. The Following User Says Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

Blovey (07-10-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/0
    Mentioned
    191 times
    Time Online
    45d 20h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    I am one of those people who do not buy stock, mostly because I am too lazy to read the guides haha. I wish the counter would come back up though.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    8d 21h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aska View Post
    I am one of those people who do not buy stock, mostly because I am too lazy to read the guides haha. I wish the counter would come back up though.
    It's a very easy way to make money. Just find a stock that is currently selling at 15-16 NP per share and buy the max of 1,000 shares. Keep repeating every day with various stocks to build your portfolio (never paying more than 15-16NP/share). Then eventually as you check in on the portfolio to buy more stocks you'll see the prices go up, I typically sell when they are worth 60 NP/share. Quadruples your money for seconds a day.