52/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    5d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

Advice on entering an american college bein a foreign

I am brazilian, and this year is the most important, i'm going to take lots of college entrance exams here so that i can have a back up plan. However, mu main plan is moving to the USA, i can speak English fluently, im am an above the average student. I took the TOEFL test, and socred 92, and have relatives living in America. Despite all that i learned i still know too little about american universities. I need some guidance about how the admissiona work, shoul i take the SAT? How do college interviews go? What else should i do to help me to be accepted in a college? I would really appreciate any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,871 times
    Time Online
    564d 11h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    Make a lot of friends to help you with your study.

If you're serious about your education then don't follow those who party every night and get white girl wasted for no reason. If you want good grades then stick with the crowd that studies and look like hard workers.
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

3. The Following User Says Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

TwistyBR (05-09-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    5d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Joe View Post
    Make a lot of friends to help you with your study.

If you're serious about your education then don't follow those who party every night and get white girl wasted for no reason. If you want good grades then stick with the crowd that studies and look like hard workers.
    I have never been much of party guy, that is an advice that ill follow always, thanks

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    2d 17h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Write a good personal statement. Never ever put yourself down in the personal statements - if you don't think highly of yourself, why should they? Modesty has no place here.
    Truly, honestly - this is what's going to set you apart from others. If they have two similar people with similar grades, the personal statement is going to be the factor that determines who gets it. Sound passionate about your selected major, tell them why you're a good choice, talk about your determination and how hard you will study, what you want to do with your degree, etc. Have a native speaker who does well in English classes check and correct your essay.

That said, American universities are ridiculously overpriced and hardly even worth it anymore. I decided to study abroad in Japan because it's a million times cheaper.
    Most Americans will remain in debt from college nearly their entire lives. A college degree does not guarantee a job anymore - the markets are over saturated. So, that said - you should really think about it if you want to attend university in the US. It's got a huge prestige to it, I guess. And everyone likes to be able to say they studied in the US, it would seem. But that comes with a very, very large price tag that for many it would be wiser to avoid.
    「マスター」

"I will protect you. Even if it destroys me."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clear For This Useful Post:

TwistyBR (05-09-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    1d 2h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Look through in detail the websites of the places you're applying to and figure out how what is unique about each one, and how that ties in to what you want to do there. Interviews are a chance for you to show what kind of person you are beyond academics. Interviewers also want to see that you know what the college is about and that you have a reason for choosing it over everything else. They also like it when you have more specific questions, e.g. about your intended course of study, or opportunities for community involvement.

And having good SAT scores will definitely help if you're going for a traditional liberal arts university.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to liyue For This Useful Post:

TwistyBR (05-09-2015)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    104d 6h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Check out the schools you're applying to before you take the SAT. I never took it because the schools I wanted to go to didn't require it. They should say whether they want the SAT, ACT or both.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to learningtoneopet1 For This Useful Post:

TwistyBR (05-09-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    21d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Do you have a particular region that you are looking at? I think that it will be important researching the various regions of the US, as the climate, topography, and people vary GREATLY. The best advice that I could give, coming from a school with a very high % of foreign students, is to take it slowly. Fluent or not, American universities can be merciless - you will likely encounter TAs who are also foreign, but who you cannot understand - realize that you will be in hte same boat as others. I would advise partying a little, get the full experience for what this will cost you, but yea as the others said, make sure you stay on top of things. American students are typically preoccupied in partying, this makes it easier to ride curves to an A as well since you simply have to do better than the masses lol. If you decide to look at school in NY or even New England, let me know, I have a lot of info and recommendations

To answer your direct questions:

1. Yes take the SATs
    2. Interviews are a joke unless you are applying to a top tier school (Ivy, Stanford, Tulane, MIT, etc)
    3. It may sound gimmicky, but I am not sure how much other schools weigh foreign students, so write about a struggle, idolize the American way of life (I gagged even writing that)
    4. Research some of the departments/professors at these schools. If you know what you want to study, have an idea of who the people in the department are. Getting to know and befriending professors is invaluable. Not only can it help your future, but from my experience, they are more fun than making friends with students lol I would imagine that especially as a foreign student, professors would be more willing to take you under their wing, so long as you do well
    Last edited by haiqtpi; 05-09-2015 at 01:30 PM.
    Queen Bee

12. The Following User Says Thank You to haiqtpi For This Useful Post:

TwistyBR (05-09-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    5d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by haiqtpi View Post
    Do you have a particular region that you are looking at? I think that it will be important researching the various regions of the US, as the climate, topography, and people vary GREATLY. The best advice that I could give, coming from a school with a very high % of foreign students, is to take it slowly. Fluent or not, American universities can be merciless - you will likely encounter TAs who are also foreign, but who you cannot understand - realize that you will be in hte same boat as others. I would advise partying a little, get the full experience for what this will cost you, but yea as the others said, make sure you stay on top of things. American students are typically preoccupied in partying, this makes it easier to ride curves to an A as well since you simply have to do better than the masses lol. If you decide to look at school in NY or even New England, let me know, I have a lot of info and recommendations

To answer your direct questions:

1. Yes take the SATs
    2. Interviews are a joke unless you are applying to a top tier school (Ivy, Stanford, Tulane, MIT, etc)
    3. It may sound gimmicky, but I am not sure how much other schools weigh foreign students, so write about a struggle, idolize the American way of life (I gagged even writing that)
    4. Research some of the departments/professors at these schools. If you know what you want to study, have an idea of who the people in the department are. Getting to know and befriending professors is invaluable. Not only can it help your future, but from my experience, they are more fun than making friends with students lol I would imagine that especially as a foreign student, professors would be more willing to take you under their wing, so long as you do well
    Thanks a lot for all the info. I am thinking about going to New York, Florida, but i am ver open minded with the location, i have traveled to the USA a lot (I have been in NY 3 times already, i love it the most) but this relatives of mine live in boca raton, florida and texas so it would be easier to live in those places,.i actually love the american way of life, compared to my country the us is heaven where everything works out, i hope i can do it, thanks again

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    187 times
    Time Online
    31d 22h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Have a plan on what you want to study and where you want to go from there and then have a back up plan for that in case you decide to switch because often times many people switch majors with in the 1st year. Id also say do some reach on the job market for the degree you are seeking and decide if getting a degree in that field is worth it based on average number of graduates and number of jobs and the annual pay. People may disagree but College in America is only really worth it now a days if you pick the right major. Plenty of Universities have great programs and allow for great learning in the fields that you choose but the fields dont lead anywhere or arent worth putting yourself into that much debit to receive a degree. For example my major is Marketing not only because I dont really know what I want to do with my life but also because when I receive my degree in Marketing it will not eliminate me from many jobs because it is such a broad and encompassing degree.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wenis For This Useful Post:

TwistyBR (05-12-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    5d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenis View Post
    Have a plan on what you want to study and where you want to go from there and then have a back up plan for that in case you decide to switch because often times many people switch majors with in the 1st year. Id also say do some reach on the job market for the degree you are seeking and decide if getting a degree in that field is worth it based on average number of graduates and number of jobs and the annual pay. People may disagree but College in America is only really worth it now a days if you pick the right major. Plenty of Universities have great programs and allow for great learning in the fields that you choose but the fields dont lead anywhere or arent worth putting yourself into that much debit to receive a degree. For example my major is Marketing not only because I dont really know what I want to do with my life but also because when I receive my degree in Marketing it will not eliminate me from many jobs because it is such a broad and encompassing degree.
    I am going for medical school, my back up plan is coming back to brazil, but i hope i dont need it :p

Twisty BR