Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Should evolution be taught in schools?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    4h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by cupcakeninja View Post
    I didn't have a problem with you until you had a problem with me and mine.

Don't lump us into one mindless bundle and insult us. I believe in God and will until the day i meet him for my judgement day. Why are you trying to disprove an entire group of people because you don't like them?

Why does being right matter to you so much? As far as I'm concerned you're just as bad as the evil religious people who try to prove you wrong. We're exactly the same. You're doing to religion what they've been doing to everyone else. Don't get pissed. Prove me wrong some more. Show me there's no god. PROVE to me that a divine source didn't start the universe.

Explain to me as you would a stupid child, that there is without a doubt no god. Then i will accept that evolution should be taught in schools minus creationism. They can both be taught, but you want it strictly evolution. Tell me how you know how the universe functions. I'd love to see your proof that my God doesn't exist.
    I never claimed to have mounds of evidence to throw at you, nor did I ever claim to want to put you in your place or prove you wrong. I'm merely stating what I BELIEVE IN. As you are perfectly welcome to state what YOU believe in. All I ask is that you do it without intentionally insulting me as you have been, because I have NEVER intentionally insulted you. Sure, I can tell you why I THINK you're wrong. I can tell you why I THINK there is no God. But I've never tried to say that I'm a know it all or that I'm any better than you because of what my opinion is. In fact I get the impression that you are trying to lump ME together with the arrogant, condescending stereotypical atheists, just as you accuse me of lumping you together with stereotypical religious followers.
    I have respect for intelligent and open-minded people (and YES I am open-minded as well) who can have a civil and intelligent debate with me, regardless of their beliefs. Nowhere did I ever state that religious people are mindless. I apologize for my poor choice of words in one of my previous posts you quoted, but you read too much into those few words. It was merely that, a poor choice of words. I have nothing against religion, I just simply don't agree with it. I thought I was able to express that here in a civil manner, and hear others opinions as to why they might disagree with me, also in a civil manner.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneakz For This Useful Post:

Ryan~ (07-23-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    100 times
    Time Online
    1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I didn't have a problem with you until you had a problem with me and mine.

Don't lump us into one mindless bundle and insult us. I believe in God and will until the day i meet him for my judgement day. Why are you trying to disprove an entire group of people because you don't like them?

Why does being right matter to you so much? As far as I'm concerned you're just as bad as the evil religious people who try to prove you wrong. We're exactly the same. You're doing to religion what they've been doing to everyone else. Don't get pissed. Prove me wrong some more. Show me there's no god. PROVE to me that a divine source didn't start the universe.

Explain to me as you would a stupid child, that there is without a doubt no god. Then i will accept that evolution should be taught in schools minus creationism. They can both be taught, but you want it strictly evolution. Tell me how you know how the universe functions. I'd love to see your proof that my God doesn't exist.
    You're going to need some physics background to understand this, namely quantum mechanics, particle fields, quantum fluctuation, cosmic microwave background radiation, etc. Allow me to do my best to explain it in layman's terms. Basically, empty space is not empty; it is full of quantum particles that pop in and out of existence, like a boiling brew. Quantum mechanics is built upon the property that when something is not being watched, it can change quantum states ad infinitum. Thus, empty space continues to "move" between all possible states, from nonexistence to hyperactivity. This is called quantum fluctuation. Energy exists everywhere, even in a vacuum. Space is full of energy: inside you, inside me, inside the earth, inside the sun, and inside emptiness. Emptiness IS NOT empty. Weird concept, but very cool. The conservation of energy law states that quantum systems can only fluctuate between states for so long.

For example, consider a charged object, like a balloon after you rub it on your hair. It sticks to the wall, right? It makes your hair stand up. Quantum electromagnetism states that the static field is created by the emission of charged particles that you created when you rubbed it on your hair. These particles have no quantum energy though, so they can propagate without disappearing entirely, thus creating that static force that holds it to the wall.

Now let's apply this to outer space. Think about black holes. There is a radius around the black hole called the event horizon. Inside this event horizon, nothing can escape it in terms of classical physics; not even light. It works both ways: light emitted from INSIDE the radius CANNOT be seen from the outside. It's like a wall of nothing. Once you go past that wall (from either direction), you stop existing.

Now back to my "bubbling brew" statement. Imagine two particles (a particle and its antiparticle) pop into existence in some quantum fluctuation field near the event horizon of a black hole. What if one of those particles gets sucked in? Well, it cannot EVER reunite with the other particle in order to destroy both of them, thus the free particle can fly off. Boom. Something came from nothing, a mere quantum fluctuation.

It's a scientific fact that the universe contains more matter than antimatter. Why? Quantum fluctuations and particles that fail to annihilate each other.

So how was the universe created? Quantum fluctuations. Nothing existed. There was nothing at all before "Time Zero" -- but remember, nothing IS something. So, empty nothingness is a boiling brew of these particles popping in and out of existence. But there's a problem -- if there's nothing to disturb these particles, then they can just go on annihilating each other for all of eternity and nothing will ever happen -- no mass, no stars, no atoms, etc.

Here's the fun part -- these particles are all annihilating each other at extremely fast speeds, and they're all fluctuating between quantum states rapidly since "nothing" exists before "Time Zero". It's basically a free-for-all. Lots of radiation begins to release and accumulate. Particles begin to pop in and out of existence faster and faster. Then, all it takes is ONE pair of particles to establish a small amount of asymmetry, and BOOM. All of that energy: the radiation, the fluctuating quantum states, the rapid expansion of particles' radii, it all comes together and releases an ENORMOUS amount of energy, blasting outwards in all directions with such force that's absolutely beyond mortal comprehension. That single set of particles that established that tiny bit of asymmetry threw off the particle-antiparticle ratio, and thus there is a small amount of particles left over that begin to influence the quantum system, creating more and more and more asymmetry until you have enough particles to create matter, and elements, and atoms, and compounds, and gasses, and stars.

Sounds far-fetched. Well, there's proof: the cosmic microwave background radiation. The CMBR's photons are the remnants of this matter-antimatter annihilation near the beginning of time.

And that's how you create a universe from scratch .

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Riku For This Useful Post:

Brittanee (07-23-2012),Reese (07-23-2012),Sci_Girl (07-23-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    60 times
    Time Online
    19d 17h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    It seems like this argument has escalated since I was last over here

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by Riku View Post
    You're going to need some physics background to understand this, namely quantum mechanics, particle fields, quantum fluctuation, cosmic microwave background radiation, etc. Allow me to do my best to explain it in layman's terms. Basically, empty space is not empty; it is full of quantum particles that pop in and out of existence, like a boiling brew. Quantum mechanics is built upon the property that when something is not being watched, it can change quantum states ad infinitum. Thus, empty space continues to "move" between all possible states, from nonexistence to hyperactivity. This is called quantum fluctuation. Energy exists everywhere, even in a vacuum. Space is full of energy: inside you, inside me, inside the earth, inside the sun, and inside emptiness. Emptiness IS NOT empty. Weird concept, but very cool. The conservation of energy law states that quantum systems can only fluctuate between states for so long.

For example, consider a charged object, like a balloon after you rub it on your hair. It sticks to the wall, right? It makes your hair stand up. Quantum electromagnetism states that the static field is created by the emission of charged particles that you created when you rubbed it on your hair. These particles have no quantum energy though, so they can propagate without disappearing entirely, thus creating that static force that holds it to the wall.

Now let's apply this to outer space. Think about black holes. There is a radius around the black hole called the event horizon. Inside this event horizon, nothing can escape it in terms of classical physics; not even light. It works both ways: light emitted from INSIDE the radius CANNOT be seen from the outside. It's like a wall of nothing. Once you go past that wall (from either direction), you stop existing.

Now back to my "bubbling brew" statement. Imagine two particles (a particle and its antiparticle) pop into existence in some quantum fluctuation field near the event horizon of a black hole. What if one of those particles gets sucked in? Well, it cannot EVER reunite with the other particle in order to destroy both of them, thus the free particle can fly off. Boom. Something came from nothing, a mere quantum fluctuation.

It's a scientific fact that the universe contains more matter than antimatter. Why? Quantum fluctuations and particles that fail to annihilate each other.

So how was the universe created? Quantum fluctuations. Nothing existed. There was nothing at all before "Time Zero" -- but remember, nothing IS something. So, empty nothingness is a boiling brew of these particles popping in and out of existence. But there's a problem -- if there's nothing to disturb these particles, then they can just go on annihilating each other for all of eternity and nothing will ever happen -- no mass, no stars, no atoms, etc.

Here's the fun part -- these particles are all annihilating each other at extremely fast speeds, and they're all fluctuating between quantum states rapidly since "nothing" exists before "Time Zero". It's basically a free-for-all. Lots of radiation begins to release and accumulate. Particles begin to pop in and out of existence faster and faster. Then, all it takes is ONE pair of particles to establish a small amount of asymmetry, and BOOM. All of that energy: the radiation, the fluctuating quantum states, the rapid expansion of particles' radii, it all comes together and releases an ENORMOUS amount of energy, blasting outwards in all directions with such force that's absolutely beyond mortal comprehension. That single set of particles that established that tiny bit of asymmetry threw off the particle-antiparticle ratio, and thus there is a small amount of particles left over that begin to influence the quantum system, creating more and more and more asymmetry until you have enough particles to create matter, and elements, and atoms, and compounds, and gasses, and stars.

Sounds far-fetched. Well, there's proof: the cosmic microwave background radiation. The CMBR's photons are the remnants of this matter-antimatter annihilation near the beginning of time.

And that's how you create a universe from scratch .

Genesis 1:1

New International Version (NIV)
    The Beginning

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Wow... i took up so much less cyberspace to type that.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    100 times
    Time Online
    1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Genesis 1:1

New International Version (NIV)
    The Beginning

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Wow... i took up so much less cyberspace to type that.
    That's because it takes less intelligence to blindly follow a fucking book rather than scientific evidence.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Riku For This Useful Post:

Azn (07-23-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    That's because it takes less intelligence to blindly follow a fucking book rather than scientific evidence.
    Oh and here i thought we were trying to be civil. I'm sorry, but i'm won't to disagree. It take a bigger person of faith and intelligence to believe in something that's too grand for the human mind to grasp, than claw at flimsy evidence that's still considered theoretical.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    100 times
    Time Online
    1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Oh and here i thought we were trying to be civil. I'm sorry, but i'm won't to disagree. It take a bigger person of faith and intelligence to believe in something that's too grand for the human mind to grasp, than claw at flimsy evidence that's still considered theoretical.
    Nope. Reading a book and saying "okay, I believe" takes less intelligence than to say "no, let's investigate the universe" and then actually go and do so.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    332 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Do you actually read scientific journals? Or do you just rely on the person who relays the information?

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

Do you actually read scientific journals? Or do you just rely on the person who relays the information?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Nope. Reading a book and saying "okay, I believe" takes less intelligence than to say "no, let's investigate the universe" and then actually go and do so.
    What i feel in my heart and believe with all my eternal soul does not require an IQ of 250. It's there. I know it and so do billions of other religious. Our gods might not all have the same name, but we believe in something. And that's better than believing in nothing.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    4h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I do believe in something. I just don't believe in a god, or any cognizant divine being that consciously created the universe and delegated certain roles for humans asnd has some sort of divine plan.
    I believe in the fascinating and beautiful discoveries that are made each day in the scientific community - biology and physics are an amazing thing and I do feel a sense of transcendence and beauty when observing these things as I'm sure you feel in your religious faith. The universe is fascinating, and I love studying it and learning about it. I just don't credit a supernatural being to its existence.
    We all believe in something, it's just different.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneakz For This Useful Post:

Brittanee (07-23-2012)