5/0
    Mentioned
    636 times
    Time Online
    88d 2h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    Ahhhhh, so many good recommendations.
    Now I just have to figure out what I actually have laying around that'll work.
    Or try and distract myself... bahhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post
    You're just too sweet
    omgggggg luv u

Quote Originally Posted by Skarner View Post
    Could be one of those old wive's tales, but I've heard that heating up a spoon and placing it on the bite breaks some of the proteins that cause the itch. Glad there's no mosquitoes in the winter here
    That is one thing I miss about colder weather when I lived more north... all the bugs diiiieeeeeeee.
    We have these awful flying cockroach things down here and of course the mosquitoes, and I just want a good freeze to teach 'em a lesson... grrr.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rachel For This Useful Post:

cookiemunster (01-02-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    126/0
    Mentioned
    300 times
    Time Online
    218d 12h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 43m
    Here we heat up a spoon and press it against the bite.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    102 times
    Time Online
    24d 23h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m

ugghhhhhghghghghgh

I'm also from Fl and the mosquitos have been insane lately. I think it's because it hasn't been cold here yet.

For mosquito and fire ant bites we always use Windex glass cleaner. It's cheap and almost everyone already has it. Spray the bite and the ammonia in the Windex will get rid of the itch.

It sounds stupid but it works. From one bitten up Floridian to another. lmao

Edit: @(you need an account to see links) OMG They're called Palmetto bugs and they are the disease infested roaches that my nightmares are made of! Just thinking about them makes me skin crawl. -shivers- Beware! They will chase you and fly after you! Ugh you can't even kill them because they make such a disgusting noise that I can't bring myself to type. lol Arm yourself with boric acid and mothballs to combat those demons!
    Last edited by cookiemunster; 01-02-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    636 times
    Time Online
    88d 2h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemunster View Post
    I'm also from Fl and the mosquitos have been insane lately. I think it's because it hasn't been cold here yet.

For mosquito and fire ant bites we always use Windex glass cleaner. It's cheap and almost everyone already has it. Spray the bite and the ammonia in the Windex will get rid of the itch.

It sounds stupid but it works. From one bitten up Floridian to another. lmao
    Whaaaaaat for real??
    Yeah, I never would have thought of Windex, haha.
    I think I have some aloe, too, which was suggested, or I might have to take a trip to the store.

Maybe I just don't spend enough time outside at night, or when I do, it's usually only in my parents' lanai where they can't get in, but I haven't been chewed at like that in a looooong time down here. Ughhhh.

Good to know I'm not alone!!

And LOOOOOOOOL @(you need an account to see links) yesssss. I hate them so much! Their shells are so hard that I've heard them fall from the ceiling before and land and it makes my stomach drop knowing I'll have to try and find and kill that stupid sucker. AND YOU'D THINK WITH A NAME LIKE "PALMETTO BUG" that they wouldn't be FLYING COCKROACHES OF DEATH... like it sounds so pretty like it should be a fancy green beetle or something, but NOOOOOO just nasty giant ass cockroaches that flyyyyy at you, no thank you
    Last edited by rachel; 01-02-2016 at 07:18 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rachel For This Useful Post:

cookiemunster (01-02-2016),Teakwood (01-04-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    102 times
    Time Online
    24d 23h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m

ugghhhhhghghghghgh

@(you need an account to see links) lol For real, it works!
    Also I think I edited after you posted. Whoops

Edit: OMG I know exactly the sound you're talking about! That little 'thud' can wake me up from a dead sleep like I know you're here you little shit! lol I have to suck them up with the vacuum. I can't hit them with a shoe or anything because they... pop very loudly and the sound makes me want to die. lol I would rather live with snakes and rats!
    If one is on you it doesn't matter how much you scream and flail around they fucking hang on to you like a little soul sucking leech!
    I'm a bit traumatized by them tbh. haha
    Last edited by cookiemunster; 01-02-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    You can also take an OTC antihistamine like Benedryl or Reactine. Or a topical antihistamine (a cream). Insect bites cause a localized histamine release....itchiness, swelling, redness etc. Ask a pharmacist what would work best. I have seen a pen like thing called Bite Away or something I keep meaning to give it a try, supposed to work real well.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    142 times
    Time Online
    37d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    Haven't heard those roaches referred to as palmetto bugs before . I'm still scared senseless of those things from visiting tropical countries. I went to the bathroom at night, turned the lights on and there were so many just scrambling around. Luckily they didn't fly at that time!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    636 times
    Time Online
    88d 2h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    I'm so lazy, so I found some antihistamine cream I didn't know I had, and it seems to be helping.
    At least long enough for me not to think of it... it's like as soon as I think about how badly they itch again, it's GG, game over.
    But you all are seriously the best for all the recommendations.

But grosssssss @(you need an account to see links) nooooo! Luckily, I've only had to deal with a handful of them in the years I've lived here, but the possibility of them existing still haunts me. We get a lot of lizards, too, and I got so many of them in my old apartment... I wouldn't be able to sleep with them in there, LOL, but now I'm kind of desensitized. I don't think I'll ever get that way with these stupid palmetto bugs, though. *vomit*

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    142 times
    Time Online
    37d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    Quote Originally Posted by rachel View Post
    I'm so lazy, so I found some antihistamine cream I didn't know I had, and it seems to be helping.
    At least long enough for me not to think of it... it's like as soon as I think about how badly they itch again, it's GG, game over.
    But you all are seriously the best for all the recommendations.

But grosssssss @(you need an account to see links) nooooo! Luckily, I've only had to deal with a handful of them in the years I've lived here, but the possibility of them existing still haunts me. We get a lot of lizards, too, and I got so many of them in my old apartment... I wouldn't be able to sleep with them in there, LOL, but now I'm kind of desensitized. I don't think I'll ever get that way with these stupid palmetto bugs, though. *vomit*
    I think I'm happy in the north. I'd have to sleep in a bubble with all those critters! Give me the safety of that cold, dry air :^)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    98 times
    Time Online
    12d 10h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I rub mine with rubbing alcohol... So does a friend that's severely allergic. It's always worked for us!
    I love other Jess even tho I log in like twice a year