Thread: Anyone here have experience with parakeet (budgie) owning?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    224 times
    Time Online
    102d 9h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m

Anyone here have experience with parakeet (budgie) owning?

I just got mine a little over a week ago, and she's chirping and playing with toys and being super cute and exploring out of her cage (also, her cage is huge. lots of room for one tiny bird)
    doesn't seem to mind the cats too much either

but she refuses to eat anything else besides millet sprays

i put fresh food and water in there every day
    and it's all stuff i would eat myself, natural organic seeds, fruits, and vegetables

PM me if you can help :'c i keep reading online but that doesnt help much, and things are always easier for me one on one

i only just started noticing this a few days ago though, i use the millet to train her but then noticed (after i started taking them out of her cage) that she hasnt been touching her actual food dish at all

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    27d 21h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Will she eat if you take the millet out? Are you offering the same seed she came with or was eating from her previous home? I would pull the millet for a few hours and see if she touches the regular seed. Millet is a treat and she may be holding out for the best stuff!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    224 times
    Time Online
    102d 9h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdtail View Post
    Will she eat if you take the millet out? Are you offering the same seed she came with or was eating from her previous home? I would pull the millet for a few hours and see if she touches the regular seed. Millet is a treat and she may be holding out for the best stuff!
    I dunno what she was eating before, i got her from the pet store and she's not very hand tame
    i'm trying to teach her with the millet but like i said after taking the millet out she just hasnt seem to be eating her regular seed :/

she also keeps trying to get out of her cage to look for millet that falls on the floor

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    19d 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    You can always call or physically visit the pet store and ask what brand they feed their birds.

Other than trying to feed her what she was fed before and keeping the millet put up where she can't get to it for a while, I don't have any advice for you. I'm just here to encourage you to ask the pet store what they feed the birds there and to say good luck.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    27d 21h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sableye View Post
    I dunno what she was eating before, i got her from the pet store and she's not very hand tame
    i'm trying to teach her with the millet but like i said after taking the millet out she just hasnt seem to be eating her regular seed :/

she also keeps trying to get out of her cage to look for millet that falls on the floor
    I would definitely find out what seed they were giving her before and get that, at least for a little bit... She might not know how to eat a different type simply because it'll look different. Birds are finicky little things

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    224 times
    Time Online
    102d 9h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdtail View Post
    I would definitely find out what seed they were giving her before and get that, at least for a little bit... She might not know how to eat a different type simply because it'll look different. Birds are finicky little things
    i think u mean "Birds are BIG JERKS" >o> jk jk

she seems to be getting along better, i called the pet store and they told me what seed she was eating previously
    i just got home so i gotta clean out her cage and rearrange a few things but hopefully it'll work :p

she's out right now and actually ate some of the seed i left on the table the night before. do you have parakeets? can i add u on skype or something? u: lol

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    27d 21h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sableye View Post
    i think u mean "Birds are BIG JERKS" >o> jk jk

she seems to be getting along better, i called the pet store and they told me what seed she was eating previously
    i just got home so i gotta clean out her cage and rearrange a few things but hopefully it'll work :p

she's out right now and actually ate some of the seed i left on the table the night before. do you have parakeets? can i add u on skype or something? u: lol

Pming you!

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    6d 10h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Hmmm, if you have another bird, that is used to eating more types of food, you can put it next to your new bird, so she will see them eating and she will try to eat what they eat too. But I don't know if you have more birds. And that's how we did with our birds! ^^

Glad to know she ate some more!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    224 times
    Time Online
    102d 9h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    thanks for the suggestion! ^^ i only have the one right now though

but my best friend has 4 2 conures and 2 parakeets, so maybe she can bring them over and teach her a few things xD