Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Won a trip to Australia and need some advice!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    2d 1h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain View Post
    That would be funnnnnn.

We probably clash on certain Universities too.
    woahwoahwoah imagine if we were in the same course :X That would be so trippy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to raxn For This Useful Post:

Rain (06-19-2014)

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    48/0
    Mentioned
    117 times
    Time Online
    79d 2h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Seven month olds change their schedule like you change their diapers..
    My little one is two and he STILL isn't on a set schedule because he is a stubborn little guy.
    This might be a once in a life time chance for you guys. Id convince her that its now or never and figure would she rather take her with or let he stay at home with a close friend/family.

Also congrats and do be careful. Australia has a million and one deadly animals/bugs just waiting to strike c:

is it spooky season yet?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    14d 2h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Ty for all of the responses. For those of you that live in Sydney what are the absolute MUST DO's?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    62 times
    Time Online
    5d 14h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicdarK View Post
    Ty for all of the responses. For those of you that live in Sydney what are the absolute MUST DO's?
    Go to the beach on a sunny day. You're there in the middle of summer, so I have no doubt you'll have heaps of opportunities. There's heaps of awesome beaches, depending on what you like (lots of people or secluded etc.). Go to Bondi for a good atmosphere, Coogee is pretty nice with some pools you can swim in. If you're not into beaches, but like water etc., you can go Kiama (kind of far out), but it's known for it's "Blowhole" which blows out water on certain days.

Definitely watch the fireworks, with a good view of the harbour bridge.

Climb the harbour bridge (if you want). I've never really been interested in it, but it has awesome views.

If you're into theatre, you can watch something at the Opera House, or just eat there (restaurants are kind of expensive though, and if you want to go to an expensive restaurant, I suggest the ones overlooking darling harbour).

Walk around the harbour at night. It's super pretty. I think Friday nights (or Saturday?) has fireworks every week. You'll probably have to search up more on that.

If you're into the artsy culture kind of places (like pretty food, instagram-type places), go to Newtown or Surry Hills; they have really relaxing cafes there. (Not exactly conventional for a touristy trip I reckon, though)

Jenolan caves! Haven't been there myself, but heard it's super cool.

Shopping! (It's kind of expensive though) Some good city places include Westfield (you can go up the tower, it's the "tallest" building in Sydney), QVB, Pitt St Mall. If you want to shop outside the city, Parramatta is has the biggest shopping centre in Sydney.

And if you're into gardens, Sydney Botanical Garden is pretty nice for photography, sleeping, and being with nature. You can go cycling there too I think (?).

That's about it off the top of my head. I'll add more if I can think of more.
    Skip Luna Park though, it's really lame.
    Last edited by Rain; 06-19-2014 at 09:03 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rain For This Useful Post:

raxn (06-19-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    14d 2h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    TY very much @(you need an account to see links) awesome advice. We will be staying at the Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments... Not sure if any of you have heard of that or not. But as far as the Fireworks go "One NYE Fireworks - Harbour View Room Experience on December 31, 2014, for winner and guest." Is what the contest says. So I am assuming we should have a good view. How about Zoo's in Sydney? I heard they are pretty good.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    62 times
    Time Online
    5d 14h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicdarK View Post
    TY very much @(you need an account to see links) awesome advice. We will be staying at the Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments... Not sure if any of you have heard of that or not. But as far as the Fireworks go "One NYE Fireworks - Harbour View Room Experience on December 31, 2014, for winner and guest." Is what the contest says. So I am assuming we should have a good view. How about Zoo's in Sydney? I heard they are pretty good.
    Dang, that apartment looks super nice. I'm guessing you'll have a great view from your balcony then!

Zoos are pretty good, I haven't been to one for like 10 years (not exaggerating) though. I think Taronga is the biggest? Go cuddle some koalas.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    14d 2h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Dang, that apartment looks super nice. I'm guessing you'll have a great view from your balcony then!

Zoos are pretty good, I haven't been to one for like 10 years (not exaggerating) though. I think Taronga is the biggest? Go cuddle some koalas.
    That sounds super awesome LoL cuddling with some Koalas!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    1,992 times
    Time Online
    279d 19h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 35m
    @(you need an account to see links)

Hmm, there's like a fair bit to do. Rain already made a couple of good points
    I would suggest the following;

Catch a ferry from Circular Quay to Manly, spend a day at the beach
    Manly isnt the best beach though, so try Bondi - it's always packed
    If you prefer something more chilled out, go to Coogee
    Avoid Maroubra. It's meh.

Best place to get a tat in Sydney is in Edgecliff, called Kaleidoscope

Go to Taronga Zoo. You can't let Koalas cuddle you, they're claws are fucking painful cos they latch on and squeeze for dear life. You can hug them though, but only 1 hour per day do you have to be super vigilant. I personally hate the zoo, not my thing. But it's can be fun. From what I remember theres all sorts of wildlife.

Check out Luna Park while you're here. I used to work there at one point. Mixed feelings about that place but it's open till like 10 so if you had a slow day and got time to kill, you can always check it out at night.
    Same deal, catch a ferry from Circular Quay.
    When you wanna head back, catch a train from Milsons Point and the train will take you over the Harbour Bridge or vice versa

The main touristy place in the city is Darling Harbour.
    Definitely check out Sydney Aquarium. Fucking sharks and seals and shit. Theres this cool glass tank you walk on and theres like fish swimming beneath your feet.
    There's also like a Chinese Garden in Darling Harbour if you wanna check it out
    Here;
    (you need an account to see links)

Now thats like, basic tourist guide stuff

Personal faves;
    When you land here, I suggest you hire a car for the lenght of your trip. Though we have good public transport, car will come in handy if you wanna go on further.
    Go to the Nan Tiem Temple in Wollongong. Not exactly Sydney, next city over, but there's plenty to do in that part of NSW as well
    Temple, there's more chill beaches there. There's even like a romantic nudist beach. Made the mistake of going there with my parents once but there's a few there and they are much much nicer and cleaner than Sydney beaches.

Back to Syndey, you can check out Paddy's Markets. Its like a huge bazaar, heaps of cheap stuff. You can buy souvenirs and stuff there. Anywhere else is a rip off.

MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS
    Go to Sydney RSL club on George Street and get the steak.
    They might have this 2 for 21.90 promotion, idk havent been in a couple months, but im telling you right now, that is the best steak in Sydney.

Most of the negative media surrounds western sydney but it's very multicultural there.
    Avoid going to far out west, there really isnt anything out there to be honest. Do not go past Parramatta unless you're going to the Blue Mountains. Again, go by car I wuold recommend. Trains can take you there too but it's not worth coming back at like 8pm especially when you cross through the west. Im probably making it sound worse than it is though.
    Blue Mountains has the steepest ride in the world as well, you like ride down at like 60degrees or something. Blue mountains is sorta lame though, not much to do there either but you get a good look at some of the native fauna

If you want some chill out though, Coffee at leichhardt is a good idea
    There's also newtown. There's a good little cafe called South End, check it out if you want a good feed. Good place to unwind, you can watch theatre plays at the king st theatre or the new - both are also close to the cafe - if that sorta thing interests you.

Best place to eat though would hav to be Hurricanes Bar and Grill in Darling Harbour
    GL getting reservation so close to NY though, probably bookked out already
    If you wanna go to a bar, I would recommend somewhere closer to George Street. It's probably the safest place to go at night, cops on that street any given day of the night and theres plenty of options.

And if you want some acid, some weed, maybe even some ice, give me a call i'll hook you up.
    Jk
    I only sell neopets goods

Hello I am retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Serrah
    Why would I need to buy from anyone else anyways? You're practically walmart
    (you need an account to see links) || (you need an account to see links)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Drizzy For This Useful Post:

raxn (06-19-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    62 times
    Time Online
    5d 14h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I've never liked Hurricanes, sorry @(you need an account to see links)

LOL, but I'm not a steak person.

But if you're into Japanese food, I know the best places in Sydney, so let me know.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    1,992 times
    Time Online
    279d 19h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 35m
    I've never liked Hurricanes, sorry
    Blasphemy.

There was this little chicken shop in kogarah i loved dearly called piri piri
    New management/closed down bout 2 months back
    I was emotionally distraught

But yo, yeah, for like Chinese food Dixon House (in chinatown, next to Paddy's market) is a pretty good place to go as well
    The Laksa there is awesome.

Hello I am retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Serrah
    Why would I need to buy from anyone else anyways? You're practically walmart
    (you need an account to see links) || (you need an account to see links)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Drizzy For This Useful Post:

Maki (06-20-2014)