Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    4d 2h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

I need help with a gift idea!

Sooo.
    I'm sure you are reading this thinking I should know what to get someone, but this is a rather serious thing.

You see my Aunt is very sick and only has a few months left to live and her birthday has just gone by and she is having a big party next weekend, since ya know, its her last birthday and all.
    Sooo my mom and I have been trying to think of a good gift.
    But it is a bit hard to think of something to give to someone who is dying.

We want to give her something that will bring her pleasure in her last days.
    Not just some material item but something she can really enjoy.

We though maybe gift cards to a nice restaurant or to get her nails done or something, but she is just really weak and in and out of the hospital a lot, so we don't want her to end up to not be able to use it.

So I don't know.
    Any ideas?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    109/0
    Mentioned
    465 times
    Time Online
    312d 20h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 57m
    Quote Originally Posted by sunniedaes View Post
    Sooo.
    I'm sure you are reading this thinking I should know what to get someone, but this is a rather serious thing.

You see my Aunt is very sick and only has a few months left to live and her birthday has just gone by and she is having a big party next weekend, since ya know, its her last birthday and all.

We though maybe gift cards to a nice restaurant or to get her nails done or something, but she is just really weak and in and out of the hospital a lot, so we don't want her to end up to not be able to use it.

So I don't know.
    Any ideas?
    I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. Maybe a spa day? That would make her feel better for a little bit

Pronouns
    minty/fresh
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 23h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 58m
    Immortalize her forever.
    Create a little autobiography- include her likes, dislikes, photographs, other anecdotes packed with loads of detail. Tint the autobiography with your/your family's thoughts of her and the little things you've come to notice about her throughout the years, like a cute little dimple, a fondness for red tea, her comforting smell of whatever...just listing some possible examples. In this way, you're "immortalizing" her in this tangible set of memories of her as a person. Record an interview her telling some funny memories bout you guys or something would be a cute add-on to this collection. Present her something that will remind her that even though she's physically gone, she'll never be far from your thoughts.

A spa day sounds nice too actually :3

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maki For This Useful Post:

Jessica (08-05-2015),Misha (08-05-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    6d 1h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I'm also very sorry to hear about your aunt.

I second the idea of immortalizing her. Sort of a scrapbook but it can be something totally different, depends on how creative you are. For instance, if you have the possibility you could make sculptures representing her most important and happiest life moments, decorated with pictures, etc. I'm not sure how much time you have left for her birthday? Because making sculptures can be time consuming.

That way she has her memories made into something physical to hold on to, and when she is sadly enough passed away, you have her physical memories too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wvereeck For This Useful Post:

Drizzy (08-05-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    228 times
    Time Online
    35d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    If I were dying, all I would want is to remember the people who loved me. Make her a scrapbook, filled with memories of her family. It will be some work but the fact that YOU made something so personal for her would be really touching. Make her remember she is loved by everyone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ph0enix For This Useful Post:

Drizzy (08-05-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    98 times
    Time Online
    12d 10h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I think what has been mentioned above is basically the best route.

It will bring her happiness to know that although she is sick and may be gone, that you wanted to take the time to do something so precious for her... And if she has kids they will also have that memory she can leave for them.

Also give her a really nice stationary set, so that maybe she can write her own personal notes to family members? I've known quite a few people who had sick family members do this. I wish mine had, but some don't get enough time.

I'm so sorry your family is going through this. I hope everyone coming together for her party is all she hopes for!
    I love other Jess even tho I log in like twice a year

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1096/0
    Mentioned
    213 times
    Time Online
    59d 13h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    Quote Originally Posted by sunniedaes View Post
    Sooo.

So I don't know.
    Any ideas?

Sorry to hear that get her a locket with you and her on it.. and in grave something nice that way she will have it with her for ever

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    457 times
    Time Online
    55d 22h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    The best gift you can give her right now is your time.
    Take her out to the places she wants to go, visit different people.
    Maybe bring a camera to document all of that.

But the most important part is spending time with her.
    It's not as meaningful to spend all this time working on a scrapbook that she'll have for a few months if you're doing it away from her.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 6h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I was also going to say a scrapbook/photo album of family members. I'm not great at coming up with gifts though :x (I do also like the locket idea)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    383 times
    Time Online
    89d 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Its probably almost time for the party. I am so sorry about your aunt.

This might sound stupid but I think you should give her a living plant. Not just flowers but something that is still growing. A potted flower that will be something she can look at and keep alive.
    I also agree "time" is also a gift spending time with her is important. You don't need to do something special do something normal. Sit with her tell her how your day has been. Make her a promise to come like maybe every 4th day. And plan something small for the day. Then she would have something to look forward to.