View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is simply a personal choice.

29 74.36%
  • It is a moral choice.

10 25.64%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Veganism: Personal or moral choice?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    4d 12h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

Veganism: Personal or moral choice?

I want to try to start a new debate every couple days or so. This time through, I wanted to think of something other than U.S. politics xD

Hopefully it's not one of those topics we just all agree on...

There seems to be a lot of debate about Veganism these days. Some people think it's a personal choice, others that it is immoral to eat meat/animal products, and everything in between.

What do you think?
    Last edited by drd; 07-02-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    111 times
    Time Online
    22d 9h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I was a vegan for some time, however all my research into the topic showed me, that being vegan is more of a personal choice than a moral choice. For example: cows will actually suffer, if they aren't milked and the eggs you buy, haven't been fertilized, so they could've never become chickens. The only valid moral argument that veganism brings forth, is the fact that animals are sometimes treated poorly during this process. This however is of course a very valid argument! Fortunately, this topic has gotten a lot of awareness and therefore, at least where I come from, people buy more and more organic free range products.

That being said, I do believe that vegetarianism is a morale choice, more than a personal choice! Also do not confuse pescatarinism for vegetarianism, we do not have the same beliefs and quite frankly, it's insulting when pescatarians say they are vegetarians.

I would go into a long debate about why being vegetarian is a morale choice, however it's like 3AM right now, so I would rather not.

I will leave you with this quote though:

“Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow-creatures is amusing in itself.” ― J.A. Froude
    http://clraik.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9441&dateline=1372467  318
    Credit to Mint for this amazing siggy!

<3 grrrawr, Duck4Cover, Jolz and kaysevicious

Guides:
    (you need an account to see links)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whispers For This Useful Post:

drd (07-02-2013),Elmo (07-03-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    4d 12h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Whispers View Post
    �Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow-creatures is amusing in itself.� ― J.A. Froude
    I think a distinction needs to be made between hunting for sport, and hunting for survival. There are still many parts of the world where it wouldn't be possible for populations to survive without the act of hunting for food.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    151/1
    Mentioned
    442 times
    Time Online
    122d 5h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    I would believe it's a moral choice,maybe you can do it by a personal choice for like 60 days,but really i say it's moral. Born with it,or something like that.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    48 times
    Time Online
    35d 14h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    For me, it's both a moral and a personal choice. Personal, because I feel perfectly heathly not eating meat. Besides, after having been a vegetarian for the bigger part of my life, my body at this point probably would be better without meat.

Perhaps more so, however, it's a moral choice for me. It's not that I feel overly bad about animals being killed (although I wouldn't exactly want to kill one myself...), that's simply a part of nature. It's the conditions that they live in and the inpact this way of keeping animals has on the environment. Not to mention the millions and millions of people that suffer from hunger and/or a lack of nutritients every day. Of course it'd be haphazard to say that this is linked directly to the big amounts of meat consumed in some (mostly western/rich) countries, but it has definitely to do with eachother. I'm not saying everyone should be a vegetarian, that's a choice each person should make for themselves. But I do think it'd help if people paid more attention to where the meat they consume comes from and tried to limit their meat consumption. In many countries, the past 10-20 years the meat consumption has been gradually increasing, and Third World Countries are catching up too. I don't see the point of eating so much meat when one can survive perfectly well with less.
    I personally like the idea of Meat Free Monday.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.
    - Gandhi

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow For This Useful Post:

Banannie (03-14-2014),Whispers (07-03-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/1
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    1d 23h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    It's a mix of both for me. I enjoy both animal and vegetarian products, but can do without meat. I don't think there's any wrong in consuming meat, after all, the food web is nature's intention. It only becomes contentious when people excessively consume animal products which leads to the endangerment of the species involved, or prepare the food in an unnecessarily cruel manner. For instance, people of a certain SEA country enjoy hardboiled eggs containing ducklings which are about to hatch. It's like eating foetuses which were boiled while alive, instead of after being killed quickly.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    4d 12h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Honestly it's hard for me to pinpoint how to really feel about it. On one hand I love eating meat, I've been conditioned to feel okay about that my entire but at the same time any argument I can seem to give myself for why it's okay I can also dispute, if that makes sense xD

Like some people make the argument that were meat eaters, it's natural and we need it in our diet to survive.
    Which to that, I could say that we don't actually NEED it. I mean, people all over the world do it, and a good portion of them are healthier than your average meat-eater. And through the process of natural selection, humans could make a choice to stop eating it and eventually there would be absolutely no need for it (excluding of course those parts of the world where there simply not be enough food if people started deciding that eating meat was morally wrong). So I guess it is somewhat of a moral choice, as much as I wouldn't want to admit that, because I eat meat. Though, I suppose moral decision or not, the biggest problems are, a. the way animals are being treated like a product and not a living thing due to our capitalization of the livestock market, and b. that people tend to over eat it, which though you can get nutritional value from it, severely over eating it can be deadly in the long term.

So I guess you could say I just have a lot of mixed feelings about it in general. I think that at some point I would like to be a vegetarian, for health reasons more than anything else. Though, I could never give up milk, eggs, and cheese

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    3d 10h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I think that people who make it as a moral choice are doing it because their personal moral compass says so- in a way it is both a moral choice and a personal choice, I suppose. I'm no help at all, am I?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noreti For This Useful Post:

Banannie (03-14-2014),drd (07-03-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    4d 12h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by noreti View Post
    I think that people who make it as a moral choice are doing it because their personal moral compass says so- in a way it is both a moral choice and a personal choice, I suppose. I'm no help at all, am I?
    Well that's actually a good point. You have to factor in that "morals" themselves are sort of a personal thing. What may seem wrong to one person may not seem that way to the next. But that's a whole different subject that would just run you around in circles... haha best to just follow your own code and pretend that it's "right"
    Anyway the point isn't to help, but to share your opinion, so good job for that xD

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    3d 10h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    Well that's actually a good point. You have to factor in that "morals" themselves are sort of a personal thing. What may seem wrong to one person may not seem that way to the next. But that's a whole different subject that would just run you around in circles... haha best to just follow your own code and pretend that it's "right"
    Anyway the point isn't to help, but to share your opinion, so good job for that xD
    I always seem to make those loopy-thought-trains.
    Morals are incredibly different for each person- that's why people react to things differently.