Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The don't ask don't tell policy. The truth from a REAL veteran.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

The don't ask don't tell policy. The truth from a REAL veteran.

Gays are allowed to serve right now in the military under the don't ask don't tell policy. I for one don't want gays to be allowed to openly serve. Just for the record, I'm not against gay marriage. If its in their pursuit of happiness who am I to tell them who they can and can not marry. But for the military, its going to cause issues. Maybe not for some of the support units but for those of us in combat arms units where unit cohesion is very very important it can cause some serious issues. In the military we joke about being gay, and someone being a fag all the time, its just part of the humor. But if someone were openly gay, they would probably get killed or hazed beyond belief. I for one as an NCO don't want to have to deal with any soldiers harassing a gay soldier to no end. Or vise versa, a couple gay soldiers harassing a straight soldier. I can hear it now, the accusations of sexual harassment and rape coming from both sides. fucking nightmare. Just one more thing to distract us from our mission.

I say this, if gays are allowed to openly serve, shower with me, sleep in open barracks etc, then we should eliminate male and female separation. Everyone sleeps in the same barracks, showers in the same place, uses the same latrines etc.

I can not stand politicians and people in general that have never served a day in the military who try and tell ME how the military and its policies should be ran.

Opinions?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    13h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I served in the military before and I agree with you to a certain extent. I'm still pretty neutral towards having to associate myself closely with gays, as long as they don't cross the line

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    100 times
    Time Online
    1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    So you don't want gays in the military because you and your friends can't stop being assholes? Great case you're making here.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Riku For This Useful Post:

Cody. (09-05-2012),Dom~ (09-06-2012),Lucy (09-05-2012),Matt~ (09-09-2012),Sci_Girl (09-05-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    What exactly is the problem that they are going to cause? If they want to stand in front of a bullet for their fellow American's then all the power to them regardless of their sexual orientation. War is not grade school, you are not going to catch cooties by being around someone you do not like.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Lucy (09-05-2012),Matt~ (09-09-2012),Meagan (09-06-2012),Reese (09-05-2012),Riku (09-05-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    83 times
    Time Online
    13d 20h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by colton View Post

I say this, if gays are allowed to openly serve, shower with me, sleep in open barracks etc, then we should eliminate male and female separation. Everyone sleeps in the same barracks, showers in the same place, uses the same latrines etc.

I can not stand politicians and people in general that have never served a day in the military who try and tell ME how the military and its policies should be ran.

Opinions?

Of course fem and male quarters should be segregated. I don't want to shower and sleep with a bunch of men, especially if I've had a bad experience with men, nor do I want to go into a shower shared by men because guess what, showering with a bunch of penises is not my most relaxing shower. There is nothing wrong with men of any sexuality using the same facilities - it sounds to me that you dont want gays to use the same facilities as you because you think they are going to check you out and that makes you uncomfortable? I don't think that's how they roll. I have a feeling they aren't attracted to people who openly jeer them.

And I'm sorry, accusations of sexual harassment/rape? If you aren't responsible enough to control your sexual urges you shouldn't be in the army >.>

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chi For This Useful Post:

Meagan (09-06-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Riku View Post
    So you don't want gays in the military because you and your friends can't stop being assholes? Great case you're making here.
    I am questioning if you are capable of reading or if something hindering this ability. Nowhere in my post did I write that the military disallows gay men to serve. They just can't serve openly. O-P-E-N-L-Y. (I spelled it out for you since you clearly can't read. ) Why change something that worked? It is so painfully obvious to me that you have NEVER served in the military.

Ever since the policy has been repealed low morale cost lives on the battle field. Distrust and lack of loyalty causes tension among leadership. When someone is uncomfortable being around someone, how can you trust them? Would you? Don't ask don't tell works. Gays can serve if they choose. I don't ask and they don't tell, period. I rather not know and there wouldn't be issues. Since you are probably not in the military you cannot possibly comprehend the gravity of the situation. I don't care if someone is gay, just don't force your lifestyle on those who appose it.

God bless America.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    510 times
    Time Online
    40d 8h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    @(you need an account to see links)
    I don't care if someone is gay, just don't force your lifestyle on those who appose it.
    I don't see how being openly gay forces anything on you-it's not as though I am threatened by being around heterosexuality .
    J_L_K_64 rules you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Reese For This Useful Post:

badalfy07 (01-16-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    83 times
    Time Online
    13d 20h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I am questioning if you are capable of reading or if something hindering this ability. Nowhere in my post did I write that the military disallows gay men to serve. They just can't serve openly. O-P-E-N-L-Y. (I spelled it out for you since you clearly can't read. ) Why change something that worked? It is so painfully obvious to me that you have NEVER served in the military.

Ever since the policy has been repealed low morale cost lives on the battle field. Distrust and lack of loyalty causes tension among leadership. When someone is uncomfortable being around someone, how can you trust them? Would you? Don't ask don't tell works. Gays can serve if they choose. I don't ask and they don't tell, period. I rather not know and there wouldn't be issues. Since you are probably not in the military you cannot possibly comprehend the gravity of the situation. I don't care if someone is gay, just don't force your lifestyle on those who appose it.

God bless America.

How does being gay affect your trust? Who cares what their sexual orientation is. It seems you're insecure with your own issues ;/ If anyone in the Army cannot trust someone because they have a different sexual orientation then they shouldn't be in the army :/

You aren't so good looking and handsome that every gay man is going to be attracted to you. They aren't going to touch you and you are going to pref the same sex.

And when people say 'God Bless America' I cringe every single time.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    116/0
    Mentioned
    204 times
    Time Online
    14d 9h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    what is this? I dont even know.

Ana's slave <3
    woman i am no ones bitch. </3 ^

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    100 times
    Time Online
    1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

First of all, yes, I can read, thank you. And no, I have never served, and I will never serve for multiple reasons, but that's a different topic entirely.

Why can't gay people serve openly? I'm not the kind of person who goes around and flaunts my gayness, but if someone asks me, I will tell them. The distrust and lack of loyalty is coming from straight people who can't handle being in the same unit with gay guys. Newsflash: gay people aren't predators. We don't lust after every single guy that crosses our path. For all I know, you're ass-ugly. The lack of trust, the "inevitable" rape "issues", all of it is YOUR problem because YOU can't handle the fact that one of your own is gay.

Gayness does NOT, in any way, affect ability to perform on the battlefield. A straight guy can aim and shoot just as well as a gay guy can. There should be absolutely no unit cohesion problems. The problems come from people like you who are too insecure and ignorant to realize that gay people are no better and no less than you.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Riku For This Useful Post:

Dom~ (09-06-2012),Meagan (09-06-2012),Tika (09-13-2012)