DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 54m
    @(you need an account to see links) arguing only gets threads locked if there's rudeness and drama. This is hardly arguing. It's a debate lol
    i love luna

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aura For This Useful Post:

Synth Salazzle (05-26-2017)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    4d 10h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aura View Post
    @(you need an account to see links) arguing only gets threads locked if there's rudeness and drama. This is hardly arguing. It's a debate lol
    Alright then.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Quote Originally Posted by champloo View Post
    Comparing different countries' suicide statistics as if they're the same is a bit disingenuous. As you said, there's big cultural differences; transexuals in the Middle East commit suicide because it's less painful than submitting to the angry mobs, for instance. More importantly, the data I've presented reflects North American transexuals rather than Australian ones.

(you need an account to see links) You'll notice the rates of reported discrimination, harassment and bigotry still don't closely coincide with suicide rates. They still correlate most closely to mental disorder statistics, which I cited earlier in the thread.

Now if you don't mind I'd prefer we take this to PM. This isn't the thread for this argument, arguing will just get the thread locked.
    Based on prior research and the findings of this report, we find that mental health factors and experiences of harassment, discrimination, violence and rejection may interact to
    produce a marked vulnerability to suicidal behavior in transgender and gender non-conforming individuals.
    Looking at the data in the survey, I don't see how you're saying they don't have close alignment between the statistics of discrimination and suicide.

A higher than average prevalence of lifetime suicide attempts was consistently found among NTDS respondents who reported that they had been harassed, bullied, or assaulted in school by other students and/or teachers due to anti-transgender bias
    In contrast, the prevalence of suicide attempts was elevated among respondents who reported experiencing rejection, disruption, or abuse by family members or close friends because of anti-transgender bias.
    Respondents who reported having negative experiences related to obtaining medical care as a transgender or gender non-conforming person also reported an elevated prevalence of lifetime suicide attempts (see Table 18). Sixty percent of respondents who said they had been refused medical care because of anti-transgender bias reported a lifetime suicide attempt.
    an elevated prevalence of lifetime suicide attempts was consistently found among respondents who reported negative work experiences related to anti-transgender bias.
    Respondents who reported having negative experiences with law enforcement officers commonly reported having attempted suicide
    Of the types of discrimination asked about, housing discrimination was the only aspect where it did not include elevated prevalence of suicide attempts. School, work, friends/family, medical care and law enforcement all indicated higher prevalence than the average. The text itself says both mental health (such as depression, which can be the result of discrimination...) and discrimination are the key factors they found. As such, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the rates don't coincide. The evidence you've provided quite clearly states otherwise.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

athron (05-26-2017),Clair (06-03-2017),Synth Salazzle (05-26-2017)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    4d 10h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    Looking at the data in the survey, I don't see how you're saying they don't have close alignment between the statistics of discrimination and suicide.

Of the types of discrimination asked about, housing discrimination was the only aspect where it did not include elevated prevalence of suicide attempts. School, work, friends/family, medical care and law enforcement all indicated higher prevalence than the average. The text itself says both mental health (such as depression, which can be the result of discrimination...) and discrimination are the key factors they found. As such, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the rates don't coincide. The evidence you've provided quite clearly states otherwise.
    The study itself makes it very clear.

The survey data did not allow us to determine a direct causal relationship between experiencing rejection, discrimination, victimization, or violence, and lifetime
    suicide attempts. Drawing on minority stress theory (Meyer, 2003) and recent research on the development of suicidal thinking and behavior following victimization (Espelage & Holt, 2013; Klomek et al., 2011), we hypothesized that mental health factors may be an important factor in helping to explain the strong and consistent relationship observed between stressors
    related to anti-transgender bias and lifetime suicide
    among NTDS respondents. Although the limited NTDS data related to mental health precluded a full testing of this hypothesis, many specific experiences of rejection, discrimination, victimization, and violence were found to be significantly related to having a disabling mental health condition ...
    In other words, bigotry doesn't appear to have a strong correlation to suicide attempts. Perceived bigotry may, but this is more closely associated with mental illness than... well, genuine discrimination.

I'll use an example: Someone types up a reply on these forums, casually insinuating those who do something wrong are fat and have too much free time. Some other person reading that post – not in any way related to the group Poster A was describing, other than perhaps the perceived self-assessment that they are fat – believes that poster was referring to them somehow, and reacts negatively. This is very different from the initial poster looking to that second poster, and saying "you are fat."
    Last edited by champloo; 05-26-2017 at 06:49 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    6d 7h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    (sorry to interrupt mid conversation guys)

Quote Originally Posted by champloo View Post
    Why can't you guys go four seconds without mentioning how LGBTWTFBBQ you are?
    Especially on the internet, a lot of people do this because it's a place where we can really express ourselves without worrying about repercussions. So many people have to hide their sexuality or identity or whatever in real life due to where they live or the people in their lives, so it's really lovely and refreshing to have a place where we can openly express who we are. I get that our sexuality doesn't define us and it shouldn't be a huge deal etc. but the fact is that the negativity against LGBT+ people has been around for so long, and people have been told they should be ashamed of this part of themselves for so long that being proud of it is kinda important.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:

athron (05-26-2017),Synth Salazzle (05-26-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    I have a question, and it has actually come across my desk at a school where I worked. Names changed obviously.

There was a child, Sam, in the 6th grade at my last work place. I will give as much background as I can that I think might help to answer. He never had much internet supervision. He basically did what he wanted because mom was a raging whore and dad was always working. Kind of a sad childhood based on his background paperwork. Anyhoo, child has access to the internet, snapchat, instagram, all of it with no parental discretion. Sam suddenly decides he is a girl.

When asked about it with school psychologist, he says "he just feels like a girl" then states he enjoys dolls, dresses, and makeup. Nothing wrong with that because growing up I liked monster trucks, helping my dad in the garage, and beating up boys. No big deal. Except, instead of discussing with him that his hobbies don't make him a "girl", the therapist is already starting her doctorate thesis on this magical transgendered child she found and is helping transition and mom is just loving this. Her special "girl" is coming out and everyone is just fawning all over this kid. A week after Sam saw the school psychologist (not a doctor, mind you), both mom and psychologist are demanding the class call Sam, Samantha and respect her new pronouns. Any bullying is immediate suspension. And let me tell you, there were suspensions.

Now, I'm gone from that place, I just moved, but I keep in contact with most of my teacher buddies and Sam is currently being seen by a doctor to get hormones to transition during puberty.

My question is: How on earth is this ok? He's a 12 year old CHILD. They aren't even responsible enough to do their homework. Kids are under guardianship until they're 18 for a reason... because they're stupid. They don't know what they want. They can't formulate complicated decisions, they're just incapable. What if when he turns 17 or 18 or even 21 and he realizes what a mistake he made?? You can't bounce back from that. Isn't there an age limit for what's allowed? His mother is riding this "my child is special ergo so am I, look-at-how-tolerant-i-am" and the school psychologist is a fucking moron. Doesn't anyone care about the future well-being of children being given these life-altering drugs without regard to the fact that they're too young to make this kind of decision?

Edit for the internet usage clarification: He told his teacher that someone on the internet told him he was a girl trapped in a boy's body and he "needed" to switch or he'd be unhappy.
    Last edited by Lilac Tentacles; 05-26-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    196 times
    Time Online
    76d 11h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake. View Post
    I have a question, and it has actually come across my desk at a school where I worked. Names changed obviously.

There was a child, Sam, in the 6th grade at my last work place. I will give as much background as I can that I think might help to answer. He never had much internet supervision. He basically did what he wanted because mom was a raging whore and dad was always working. Kind of a sad childhood based on his background paperwork. Anyhoo, child has access to the internet, snapchat, instagram, all of it with no parental discretion. Sam suddenly decides he is a girl.

When asked about it with school psychologist, he says "he just feels like a girl" then states he enjoys dolls, dresses, and makeup. Nothing wrong with that because growing up I liked monster trucks, helping my dad in the garage, and beating up boys. No big deal. Except, instead of discussing with him that his hobbies don't make him a "girl", the therapist is already starting her doctorate thesis on this magical transgendered child she found and is helping transition and mom is just loving this. Her special "girl" is coming out and everyone is just fawning all over this kid. A week after Sam saw the school psychologist (not a doctor, mind you), both mom and psychologist are demanding the class call Sam, Samantha and respect her new pronouns. Any bullying is immediate suspension. And let me tell you, there were suspensions.

Now, I'm gone from that place, I just moved, but I keep in contact with most of my teacher buddies and Sam is currently being seen by a doctor to get hormones to transition during puberty.

My question is: How on earth is this ok? He's a 12 year old CHILD. They aren't even responsible enough to do their homework. Kids are under guardianship until they're 18 for a reason... because they're stupid. They don't know what they want. They can't formulate complicated decisions, they're just incapable. What if when he turns 17 or 18 or even 21 and he realizes what a mistake he made?? You can't bounce back from that. Isn't there an age limit for what's allowed? His mother is riding this "my child is special ergo so am I, look-at-how-tolerant-i-am" and the school psychologist is a fucking moron. Doesn't anyone care about the future well-being of children being given these life-altering drugs without regard to the fact that they're too young to make this kind of decision?

Edit for the internet usage clarification: He told his teacher that someone on the internet told him he was a girl trapped in a boy's body and he "needed" to switch or he'd be unhappy.
    If they shows no sign of gender dysphoria, or actually wanting to be female then pushing them into that decision is wrong, and it stems from people thinking it's not okay for boys to like girl things, I see a lot of kids who just like stuff being pushed into categories, but from what this seems like if the kid knows they know, I've known from the earliest points in my life that I wasn't the right gender, and I'll be 25 soon. This feeling never faded for me, sometimes it does fade for people. And that's okay.

But it's also important for the child to have the chance to figure that out themselves. 6th grade is definitely old enough to know how you feel. If the kid isn't dysphoric then it's just a case of being pushed into the category for the convenience of people around them.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    (you need an account to see links)
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    11d 13h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Boxers or briefs?

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    196 times
    Time Online
    76d 11h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by unknowable View Post
    Boxers or briefs?

Boxers.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    5d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    My female cousin is homosexual and she dresses up in a very masculine way. I'm not close enough to ask her any questions and I have nothing against her sexuality. She has short hair and styles herself in men clothes? Would anyone know if they shop the men section or just pick out female clothes that look very masculine? Do they ever get mistaken as a guy when they're in the female restroom because they look too handsome or masculine?