Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What are you making for Christmas?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    117 times
    Time Online
    20d 18h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by esperanto View Post
    Your vegetables look a lot healthier than most of our "traditional holiday dishes" xD
    they generally are
    except the potatoes, they're cooked in like, goose fat or something D:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    368 times
    Time Online
    23d 14h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    they generally are
    except the potatoes, they're cooked in like, goose fat or something D:
    Ewwww. I'm not gonna lie that sounds terrible lol.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    117 times
    Time Online
    20d 18h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by esperanto View Post
    Ewwww. I'm not gonna lie that sounds terrible lol.
    ikr D: but they're the nicest things everrrr

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    4d 20h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    @(you need an account to see links) - That looks like a very healthy, hearty meal. Ours tend to be a little more greasy and fattening. Pretty much the items Essy listed. c:
    The goose fat potatoes do sound a little strange, but it's not unheard of to use animal fat for cooking. For example, the trick to perfect refried beans is actually bacon grease, lol.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/1
    Mentioned
    562 times
    Time Online
    118d 6h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Its not very traditional but I will be making a nice curry , xmas dinner ect will be at my mums. Im veggie so im kind of limited..

I use:
    Madras curry paste
    Red lentils
    1 X birds eye chillie (crushed)
    1 can tomato puree paste
    Check Peas
    Sweet corn
    1 X caramelized onion
    Cumin
    Onions
    Tumeric
    Chillie powder
    ground ginger

This shit fills you up and keeps u warm in winter ;D. I am hoping to get a slow cooker after xmas still experimenting trying to find the perfect curry recepie xD.

Now I live on my own im actually trying recipes ect rather than just throw something together out of a jar. I want to try some cakes ect soon brownies are like heaven to me.....
    Last edited by DarkByte; 12-23-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    4d 20h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by raredaredevil View Post
    Its not very traditional but I will be making a nice curry , xmas dinner ect will be at my mums. Im veggie so im kind of limited..

I use:
    Madras curry paste
    Red lentils
    1 X birds eye chillie (crushed)
    1 can tomato puree paste
    Check Peas
    Sweet corn
    1 X caramelized onion
    Cumin
    Onions
    Tumeric
    Chillie powder
    ground ginger

This shit fills you up and keeps u warm in winter ;D. I am hoping to get a slow cooker after xmas still experimenting trying to find the perfect curry recepie xD.

Now I live on my own im actually trying recipes ect rather than just throw something together out of a jar. I want to try some cakes ect soon brownies are like heaven to me.....
    That sounds heavenly. I love chickpeas, and I actually have a chickpea curry recipe I use....

(you need an account to see links)
    ^ I use this as a base, but pretty much triple the spices and add stuff until it tastes right, haha.

The corn is a nice twist. I must try that sometime! And I feel your pain on the moving out. I seriously miss the home cooked food I once took for granted. Now my mom's chicken curry is worth its weight in gold to me!

It's good that you're trying to get in the habit of cooking instead of just eating whatever frozen/jarred crap you can buy off the shelves. When I first moved out that's what I did, because I was busy, lazy, and hated cooking, and I gained about 15lbs (that's a lot for me seeing as I'm 5'0) and I felt horrible! I had no energy and I just wanted to sleep all the time.
    It took a while to lose the weight and start feeling normal again. Glad you're not even going to go there.

As for cakes and brownies, have you tried boxed brownie mixes? They're actually quite good and very easy to make!

Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/1
    Mentioned
    562 times
    Time Online
    118d 6h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    That recepie looks great got almost every ingrediant too. I have some tinned new potatoes I have had no idea what to do with now I think about it would make a nice ingredient for a veggie curry . Going to give that recepie a shot just need to add some masala to my shopping list and im ready to go .

For brownies I have not tried anything not even the box mixes I will probably start with that as I am severely lacking decent cooking equipment right now I got the basics but I still neeed trivial things like decent baking trays , measuring equipment ect. Getting there though! .

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    104d 23h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    I made cake pops yesterday. The first batch of candy I melted failed so hard. I don't know what happened to it. It got super hard. 0.o

But the second batch I put in the double boiler, and it turned out great. When I put them in the fridge to solidify them, I thought they'd gotten like rock hard too, but they didn't. They were perfect (except for the fact that they looked a mess) and they tasted fucking amazing. For a first try, I'm happy with them. I might have used too much icing. I'll have to give it another go at some point.

I had Christmas with my grandparents today (my mom's side of the family) so that's where I was all day today. I got this recipe container that had like 99 hershey chocolate recipes inside. I told my mom I'm making like every single one of those before New Years. We have this ranch (basically a deer lease, but we actually own it, not lease it) out near Lampassas (if you've ever heard of that town and so not sure if I even spelled that right lol) and my aunt wants us to go there for New Years. We generally have family + a ton of family friends head out there on New Years, so the stuff would definitely be gone in a decent amount of time.

My mom makes this dip... It's called Texas Caviar. I'm not entirely sure what all goes in it, but it's amazing. I know it's bell peppers, avocados, black eyed peas and ranch dip powder. Other things too, but I'm not sure what. I've never even paid attention to that when she makes it, but omfg it's so amazing. :3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    8d 21h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    On the topic of christmas food, I made my annual peppermint bark to hand out to all the neighbors and such. Good stuff, and everyone's hooked on it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    1,446 times
    Time Online
    368d 17h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 5m
    Lol, Im a terrible cook. Im supposed to make coookies with my brother later on, and he doesnt cook either... so Im not sure what they will taste like. Im thinking peanut butter cookies. Adding chocolate chips and such seems like a hassle to me