1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m

OH MY GOD MY COMPUTER SOB

I have a little mini-laptop. An acer aspire. Bought it from the Shopping Channel in 2010.
    It's worked fine over the past 3 years, just kinda slow at times.
    and then, the laptop DIES OMG ME OMG SOB
    Like yes, I checked if it was plugged in. The laptop says it has no battery issues. but it just dies. Like randomly.

omg did i kill my laptop
    if someone can fix this i will 5ever love them and do anything

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmie View Post
    An acer
    There's your #1 problem.

Bought it from the Shopping Channel
    Fukin lol'd. Oh Sim Sim, you are just too cute.

---

Anyways, any other symptoms or irregularities you can describe?

How does it just "die"? Can you elaborate?

Is it perma-dead right now, or still functioning - just randomly craps out during usage?

if someone can fix this i will 5ever love them and do anything
    ...anything??? . . .

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    2d 15h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Could be that bits of it (depending on how the computer shuts down, a different part could be at fault) are dying. If the specs I've found are correct, it's not really a surprise your laptop is dying. You may want to bring it into a shop, maybe a part could be replaced?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    @(you need an account to see links)

but omg it was blue so i had to have it!!
    and like omg mod they are v convincing ok
    they made me feel like my money was important

well, it has been running slowly since mid-2012.
    and it 'dies' as in I'm in the middle of writing a report, and when i'm almost done it just shuts off on me.
    and it's like barely functioning, really.

sushikarp can be arranged.
    hey, what about the one I threw at your wall?

@(you need an account to see links)
    hm, it could be possible.
    what part?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    2d 15h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Well, when my old huge-ass pc died years ago, it was from HDD failure, but that usually comes with a sound, like clicking or screeching (my pc didn't have the sound). But a laptop could have fan troubles, so it would shut down if it overheats, or it could be a battery problem. If the laptop is old, the battery might just be at the end of its rope.

Does the laptop shut down even though it's plugged in? If it doesn't, it's the battery. If it does, then there's something else wrong. Also, how long can you go before it shuts down? How much stress can it handle (i.e. 20 tabs in a browser, with music, a game and a movie playing, that sort of thing)?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    108/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    49d 8h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Sell it and save up for a new one, or go buy one and blow this one up, record you blowing it up tho
    [11:06 PN] domenick: you cant fix stupid
    [11:06 PM] andrew: unfortunately not lol

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    but omg it was blue so i had to have it!!
    and like omg mod they are v convincing ok
    they made me feel like my money was important
    Sim, sometimes I read your posts and just...

Anyways, I agree with panelle. Could be HDD failure, RAM failure (easy to check if you test with a boot app), or more commonly, crashing from overheating.
    My old laptop does the same when it overheats, well almost. It crashes, blue screens, then restarts. If you have a laptop cooling pad, try using it to see if your Acer still shuts down. Otherwise, open up your laptop and clean the dust off the fans, off your CPU, and anywhere you see some. They greatly contribute to the heat generated in a computer, and you will find chunks of dust in there after 2+ years.

Perhaps getting a bit technical for you in saying this, but another factor in overheating with computer age is that the thermal grease/pads will wear away or melt off. This is stuff that is applied between your computer's CPU and the heatsink (a finned piece of metal like aluminium) to increase heat conductivity (contact) between the CPU & heatsink, which aids in heat dissipation away from your laptop. In cheaper factory-assembled laptops like an Acer, they usually don't waste time in applying thermal grease and use cheaper, pre-cut thermal pads instead - which are inferior in effectiveness to grease and will wear away with years of computer use. The process of re-applying thermal grease isn't very hard at all, but if you're not confident in opening your laptop, I suppose I wouldn't suggest this to you.

BUT before you decide to open up your laptop and do any of that or not, my suggestion is to test with a laptop cooling pad if you have one first, and conduct a memory test for RAM failure.

Next to those, I would backup any data on your Acer to an external drive like a HDD (if you have one) or something like that, then do a clean re-format. That will wipe everything off your laptop and have it start fresh again. There may be some faulty driver files or program conflicts on your laptop; if you wipe all of that and the problem is solved, then you'll know it wasn't a hardware failure then, but software incompatibility after all.

hey, what about the one I threw at your wall?
    I waited too long, it went bad.
    It's going to kill me if I try eating it now.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    1d 6h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I had an Acer too - never again, but I got it for a good price.
    IDK are you keeping your laptop plugged in when you're at home?
    Cause it's generally better to remove your battery when you're keeping it plugged in for long periods of time. Your laptop will still run, but it just won't be (over)charging the battery, and in that case, your battery won't die randomly (when it's not plugged). Do you get what I'm saying?

It's better to just charge your battery when you actually need to bring your laptop to places, but if it's at home or for long periods, it's best to just remove it whilst having your laptop plugged in.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    56 times
    Time Online
    8d 9h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    you could google how to return it to factory default, it might be a virus or something. You will, however, lose everything on the computer.