DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    3d 13h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I understand that the size of borders makes a big difference. But it's worth the discussion. A lot of resources were put into making sure gun control tight here. A lot of money also. And restrictive laws. The US has one of the most liberal gun laws in the world. It's also got one of the worst stats for civilian shootings. There're tons of studies on the effectiveness of gun restrictions. Canada also experienced a gradual but steady decline in shooting violence after its gun laws were implemented. There are no quick solutions but the stats show us that gun ctrl shld be part of the discussion. It's a waste of time to discuss whether or not to do it. There's just no qn that there ought to be gun ctrl. The discussion shld be abt how it can be done.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

And how it can be effective.

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

It's not cheap to have so many armouries. It's also not cheap to maintain and provide security 24hr security for armouries. Transportation of arms, etc. The penalty for illegal possession is 5-10 years. And no less than 6 strokes of the cane. Illegally carrying (not possess, even carrying it after ur duties (police/military) are done, will get u 5-14yrs and no less than 6 strokes of the cane)

It's hardcore here.

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

Any illegal attempt to use the gun (for any purpose) is met with the death penalty. It is presumed by default that the use of any arm, until the contrary is proven, that there is intention to cause physical harm to any person or property.

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

There are provisions but u can see that any activity involving arms is met with extreme suspicion.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    3h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by winstonlim1992 View Post
    How strict is it? Becuz in my country, gun laws are actually quite successful. The guns are only issued to military and police personnel and it's always temporary possession and use. The guns always go back into the armoury. My country practices mandatory conscription and we still have no guns on the streets. The cops only carry guns while on duty. They return the guns immediately after duty. The circulation of arms and ammunition is air tight.

That would never work here in America because there's already so many guns in circulation. We have more guns in this country than people. There would be no way to confiscate all of them.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    3d 13h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Correction: There wld be no way to confiscate them all at once.

What if u had 10 yrs to confiscate the guns? Systematic removal. Start with restricting imports and manufacturing. Cut the supply. Caan just abt anybody manufacture? Or only certain grps? Not just anybody can manufacture wpns if i recall correctly. The sale and manufacture of wpns across borders is politically sensitive.

If america only thinks of short term solns to a long term problem, it will nvr be rid of the gun problem. And this IS a long term problem. The country has had guns legal for more than 100yrs. Since the 2nd and 4th amendment. So of course she has so many guns.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

What i have to propose is also politically controversial in america. The political barrier to go thru is much worse than the logistical barrier. SG's gun ctrl laws invoke the death penalty v quickly. U saw my prev replies? There's always a combination of legislation and enforcement. The US is still tons richer thn my country. Cldn't u do it one state at a time? Setup gun borders between states?

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

@teqkilla

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    3h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by winstonlim1992 View Post
    Correction: There wld be no way to confiscate them all at once.

What if u had 10 yrs to confiscate the guns? Systematic removal. Start with restricting imports and manufacturing. Cut the supply. Caan just abt anybody manufacture? Or only certain grps? Not just anybody can manufacture wpns if i recall correctly. The sale and manufacture of wpns across borders is politically sensitive.

If america only thinks of short term solns to a long term problem, it will nvr be rid of the gun problem. And this IS a long term problem. The country has had guns legal for more than 100yrs. Since the 2nd and 4th amendment. So of course she has so many guns.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

What i have to propose is also politically controversial in america. The political barrier to go thru is much worse than the logistical barrier. SG's gun ctrl laws invoke the death penalty v quickly. U saw my prev replies? There's always a combination of legislation and enforcement. The US is still tons richer thn my country. Cldn't u do it one state at a time? Setup gun borders between states?

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

@teqkilla

Then the gvt would have to make sure to confiscate at least 130k+ guns a day

Before they could do that they'd have to repeal the second amendment which none of the Republicans would ever allow to happen. They refused to even pass a law last year that would ban people on the FBI Terror Watch List from getting guns. Plus the gun nuts here are crazy as hell I could easily see them shooting anyone who tried to take their guns away. Furthermore, just like everything else that gets banned here, they'd just get smuggled back in through Mexico. I think right now all we can hope for is that the Republicans will stop blocking the most COMMON SENSE gun reforms that we clearly need.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    131 times
    Time Online
    46d 4h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Yeah confiscating guns in the US wouldn't work out because of the 2nd amendment as teqkilla said. Plus it's VERY unlikely/virtually impossible for an amendment to be changed/thrown out so taking that in consideration confiscating guns in the US is just not likely.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    If we're going to debate gun control, can we please use a different thread? This is getting out of hand and extremely off topic.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    199 times
    Time Online
    129d 12h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    44m
    omg guys, you absolutely need gun control. What other country WITH gun control do you see with these kind of massacres? There's religious extremists in most countries, including homophobes. I believe it was a hate crime that was doable by your god damn easy access to guns.
    SEE AUSTRALIA AND LACK OF MASSACRES SINCE WE IMPOSED OURS

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Again, KEEP THE GUN CONTROL DEBATE OFF THIS THREAD. Start one in the debate section. This is not the place.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    224 times
    Time Online
    102d 11h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    40d 7h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I'm of the opinion that a thread should be made pertaining to - beyond gun control - what people's viewpoints are regarding how we as a country can work together to prevent things like this from happening.

On top of that, I would be interested to know people's personal opinions and feelings about this.

There's a lot to discuss..
    Homophobia.
    Gun control.
    Religious extremism.
    Mental illness.
    The division of our country.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Banannie For This Useful Post:

Aura (06-16-2016),foreignemphasis (06-16-2016),potatoespotate (06-16-2016)