Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neo-like game collaboration - Battle 1p & 2p/items/icons, economy generator, other items*?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 6h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Thanks man, hopefully I can recreate a newer version of something with a neopets feel. I tried a lot of games on iOS app store and they are all just so complicated and time consuming to get into and level up your account/character/whatever.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 16h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    [Almost every item will be battle-related.]
    Yes!

[I want to avoid cluttering up the game with items that don't serve a purpose.]
    Yes!!!

[I noticed card games are pretty popular these days. Instead of equipping battle items should we try equipping cards like a card game? They would work the exact same way. In my opinion I prefer going classic and having actual items over cards.]
    I think changing items to cards is missing the point of cards, because card games are inherently different from rpg battle systems. Unless you want to incorporate decks/more in-battle player choices, it's just false advertising. Also doing the latter decreases the emphasis on having and raising a pet .

[Would it be cool if each pet/monster had their own special ability that dealt slightly different icons? Or is it better to leave it up to the items equipped. I think having a normal attack, defend option, and beast attack (1.5x icons dealt AND received) is a pretty good idea. Any ideas how to improve this?]
    Be careful with balancing. Without limitations to attacking weapons, buffs to defending other than decreasing damage taken, or status (like poison in pokemon) your metagame is going to lean towards offensive. With tiny design choices, some icons/abilities are inherently going to be better than others (fire was hard to defend against in neo due to the lack of good defending weapons, which is an easy mistake to make when generating items, Lens Flare is op as fuck).

Hopefully make luck (e.x. icon randomness) a non-factor? Strategy > luck!

[I liked the 1 player battle system like the old neo where HP constantly increases every time you beat an opponent. Thoughts? Can also have leaderboards for each 1-player opponent (most wins).]
    Ehhhhhh. It seems after a while it's just repeating a task over and over, rather than thinking up a strategy/gimmick. Grunt work?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 6h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by scornty View Post
    [Almost every item will be battle-related.]
    Yes!

[I want to avoid cluttering up the game with items that don't serve a purpose.]
    Yes!!!

[I noticed card games are pretty popular these days. Instead of equipping battle items should we try equipping cards like a card game? They would work the exact same way. In my opinion I prefer going classic and having actual items over cards.]
    I think changing items to cards is missing the point of cards, because card games are inherently different from rpg battle systems. Unless you want to incorporate decks/more in-battle player choices, it's just false advertising. Also doing the latter decreases the emphasis on having and raising a pet .

[Would it be cool if each pet/monster had their own special ability that dealt slightly different icons? Or is it better to leave it up to the items equipped. I think having a normal attack, defend option, and beast attack (1.5x icons dealt AND received) is a pretty good idea. Any ideas how to improve this?]
    Be careful with balancing. Without limitations to attacking weapons, buffs to defending other than decreasing damage taken, or status (like poison in pokemon) your metagame is going to lean towards offensive. With tiny design choices, some icons/abilities are inherently going to be better than others (fire was hard to defend against in neo due to the lack of good defending weapons, which is an easy mistake to make when generating items, Lens Flare is op as fuck).

Hopefully make luck (e.x. icon randomness) a non-factor? Strategy > luck!

[I liked the 1 player battle system like the old neo where HP constantly increases every time you beat an opponent. Thoughts? Can also have leaderboards for each 1-player opponent (most wins).]
    Ehhhhhh. It seems after a while it's just repeating a task over and over, rather than thinking up a strategy/gimmick. Grunt work?
    Would it be better to have slightly randomized icon amounts or keep everything what you see is what you get (i.e.: sword can do 10 icons + additional 1-5 or sword consistently does 10 icons)?

Also, someone brought up earlier that perhaps someone attacking with water icon will reduce anyone attacking with fire icons... However, I prefer to leave any sort of defense or debuffing to a defensive item like a shield or block. What are your thoughts on that?

Good input so far everyone! And thank you for participating in my thread

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 6h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Any last input before I start putting some final ideas together?