Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feminism, and other related issues.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    2d 7h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Feminism, and other related issues.

I think this has become a huge issue lately, for so many reasons. I feel like I am being told by lawmakers what type of woman I am supposed to be, and then I am being told by feminists what type of woman I am supposed to be. Example, Republicans who are trying to keep women from having abortions. Another example, feminists who tell women they shouldn't be stay at home moms.

I basically said to hell with feminism recently. I've never been okay with telling other women how to act and live, mainly because I don't care what other people do with their lives. But I especially do not believe that men cannot be raped, or that men don't have the right to defend themselves because they've been taught to never hit a woman under any circumstance. I witness women calling other women sluts for wearing make-up and short skirts. Or getting angry at a man for saying to her, "You look nice today." Just because some men believe that their gender gives them the right to disrespect and demean other people, does not mean that feminists should sink to the same level.

Nowadays, I like to just empower people. People is a nice word, because it applies to all genders, cultures, ages, races, disabilities, personalities, styles, etc.
    EEL SUSHI

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spleef35 For This Useful Post:

Pusheen (02-19-2015),tf4trftf43 (02-19-2015),Winona (07-15-2015)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    733 times
    Time Online
    158d 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    56m
    @(you need an account to see links)

I agree with you, femenism now a days has gotten out of control, mainly for existing many active groups of feminism that are way too radical. I kind of compare those types of feminisms to extreme radical religious people. They are both annoying and are loosing the main point of the matter. Being proud of being a woman and considering that our gender can be strong & has equal rights to men and such on, is the main point. But when they start accusing other women or dictate a life style for women that all should follow, then things get totally wrong. Part of being a feminist is beliving that women can do what ever they want with their life, either if it's being a loyal loving housewife or being a hard working lawyer or what ever.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pusheen For This Useful Post:

Naomi (02-19-2015),spleef35 (02-19-2015),Winona (07-15-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    2d 4h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by spleef35 View Post
    I think this has become a huge issue lately, for so many reasons. I feel like I am being told by lawmakers what type of woman I am supposed to be, and then I am being told by feminists what type of woman I am supposed to be. Example, Republicans who are trying to keep women from having abortions. Another example, feminists who tell women they shouldn't be stay at home moms.

I basically said to hell with feminism recently. I've never been okay with telling other women how to act and live, mainly because I don't care what other people do with their lives. But I especially do not believe that men cannot be raped, or that men don't have the right to defend themselves because they've been taught to never hit a woman under any circumstance. I witness women calling other women sluts for wearing make-up and short skirts. Or getting angry at a man for saying to her, "You look nice today." Just because some men believe that their gender gives them the right to disrespect and demean other people, does not mean that feminists should sink to the same level.

Nowadays, I like to just empower people. People is a nice word, because it applies to all genders, cultures, ages, races, disabilities, personalities, styles, etc.
    you said literally everything i wanted to say but smart
    i do think radical groups have existed and do exist, not necessarily a new thing though (hey just look at the lady who tried to kill andy warhol)
    if you want to be a stay at home housewife, you do that. if you don't, do that. why should we dictate what other ladies choose to do?
    Last edited by tf4trftf43; 02-19-2015 at 07:39 PM.

supporter of second rate ascii art since time began
    infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me!~carry on cleo

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tf4trftf43 For This Useful Post:

spleef35 (02-19-2015),Winona (07-15-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    It drives me up the wall when people are 100% against a man defending themselves against a woman who attacks them. Seriously, if a woman starts punching me in the face, I'm going to react, I'm not going to just sit there and take it. Same with the whole "men can't be raped" issue. My cousin was raped, and now has a child because of it, and he doesn't get to see the child on top of having to pay $600 a month in child support. He was completely blacked out drunk, passed out, and woke up to the woman on top of him and he didn't know what was going on. So yeah, men can get raped.

I do believe women should have equal rights, equal opportunities for jobs, etc. and the whole "stay at home mom" stereotype bugs the crap out of me. My girlfriend works a big girl job and I stay at home in the winter and do the housework because of seasonal unemployment due to the work I do. I don't see anything wrong with it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Misha For This Useful Post:

spleef35 (02-19-2015)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Quote Originally Posted by spleef35 View Post

You might be interesting in adding your thoughts onto (you need an account to see links) as well then, as it is all about gender equality concerns. It in, I make the point about many women calling themselves humanist these days, rather than feminist, because the word now has connotations so vastly different from the intended meaning.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

spleef35 (02-19-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    2d 7h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus View Post
    You might be interesting in adding your thoughts onto (you need an account to see links) as well then, as it is all about gender equality concerns. It in, I make the point about many women calling themselves humanist these days, rather than feminist, because the word now has connotations so vastly different from the intended meaning.
    Totally shared my thoughts

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    It drives me up the wall when people are 100% against a man defending themselves against a woman who attacks them. Seriously, if a woman starts punching me in the face, I'm going to react, I'm not going to just sit there and take it. Same with the whole "men can't be raped" issue. My cousin was raped, and now has a child because of it, and he doesn't get to see the child on top of having to pay $600 a month in child support. He was completely blacked out drunk, passed out, and woke up to the woman on top of him and he didn't know what was going on. So yeah, men can get raped.

I do believe women should have equal rights, equal opportunities for jobs, etc. and the whole "stay at home mom" stereotype bugs the crap out of me. My girlfriend works a big girl job and I stay at home in the winter and do the housework because of seasonal unemployment due to the work I do. I don't see anything wrong with it.
    I don't give two shits about how you two live. And I mean that in the nicest way possible, lol.

A few months ago, these two women on a train were harassing this man who from what I've heard, has an intellectual delay. One the women slapped him at one point, and he slapped her back. Guess who people got angry at? I loved Whoopi Goldberg's response, "If you slap a man, don't be surprised if you get slapped back." People don't always give women credit for how violent, aggressive and abusive we can be. And we aren't just like that toward men, we do it to women, too. (Well, I don't do it, I just say "we" because I'm a woman).

I remember some great experiments I saw a while back, all related to partner/spousal abuse. In one experiment, they had a black couple start an argument in the park. They staged it so that the man appeared to be abusing the woman. No one got involved, called the police, or anything. In a different location, they had a white couple start an argument in the same fashion as the black couple. TONS of people showed up to defend the white woman. The second experiment I saw a few months ago, they staged a man abusing a woman, and TONS of people got involved and defended her. They did the same thing the next day, only this time the woman was abusing the man. People stared, pointed, laughed, but no one stood up for him. Creepy, isn't it?
    EEL SUSHI

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    375 times
    Time Online
    48d 12h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Yikes. Although I agree generally with your thoughts (for instance, men can be raped, women should be able to do whatever the hell they want -- within the law), I find it very disheartening that you are suggesting that to be a feminist means you must have these radical viewpoints.

You can be liberal and not a communist. You can be a republican and not a member of the KKK. You can be Islamic and not a terrorist.

There are extremists in every group. I am a feminist & a member of a feminist organization. I am proud to call myself a feminist. Feminism is not a dirty word, and I am yet to meet a single self-proclaimed feminist who believes that women who stay at home are failures or men don't get raped or body shaming is in any way acceptable.

....I don't know who you're talking to though.
    Last edited by Naomi; 02-19-2015 at 11:24 PM.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naomi For This Useful Post:

baileaf (02-20-2015),Colby (02-20-2015),Fleur (02-27-2015),Leah (04-16-2015),Misha (02-20-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    85 times
    Time Online
    15d 6h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I'm a stay at home, clean the house kind of woman. And my bff is a feminist lol @(you need an account to see links)

Anyways yeah extremist in every group. Make your own choices.
    Last edited by Colby; 02-20-2015 at 12:22 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Colby For This Useful Post:

Naomi (02-20-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    2d 7h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
    Yikes. Although I agree generally with your thoughts (for instance, men can be raped, women should be able to do whatever the hell they want -- within the law), I find it very disheartening that you are suggesting that to be a feminist means you must have these radical viewpoints.

You can be liberal and not a communist. You can be a republican and not a member of the KKK. You can be Islamic and not a terrorist.

There are extremists in every group. I am a feminist & a member of a feminist organization. I am proud to call myself a feminist. Feminism is not a dirty word, and I am yet to meet a single self-proclaimed feminist who believes that women who stay at home are failures or men don't get raped or body shaming is in any way acceptable.

....I don't know who you're talking to though.
    Everyone's experience is difference, but mine hasn't been a very good one. As a woman, I can tell you that the number of men who has hurt me, I can count on one hand. The number of women who have hurt me, I can count on my fingers and toes, as well as the fingers and toes of almost every person I know. I don't believe we have to be extremist to be feminist, but I do believe the movement embodies so much extremism, that it is not a movement I want to associate with or be a part of. It's not how I think, live, act, and it never will be.
    EEL SUSHI

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    87/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    1d 13h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    If feminism is by the description of seeking equality between genders and generally equality for all, then yes, I am a feminist. However, as a woman in a culture that has very definite ideas of what women are and are not supposed to be, I want to bring up the question of where respect, familial duty, obligation and all that weigh in against the individual wellbeing.
    For example, I had to correct my own perspectives on what it meant to be a feminist when I found myself looking down on some of my relatives for their choice to not wear trousers and stick with long skirts despite being in a rural environment. Not the most earth-shaking issue, but in all honesty I couldn't understand and spent years trying to convince them to wear jeans and trousers simply because it was so much more practical in my own opinion. It didn't occur to me until much later that they would have better knowledge of what was practical and not given that they were actually doing the farmwork all the time and I was a visitor. I didn't understand that they were living in a conservative rural community and very much dependent on the goodwill of the community to sustain themselves. I didn't understand that they had made the choice to dress as they did, from personal preference, habit and more practical concerns. My personal preferences and opinions were not meant to dictate their own and that is where a lot of us go wrong in our interactions with each other. If I think I am right, that's fine, but it doesn't make the other party's/ parties' views irrelevant or negate their right to hold them.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to coldblaze For This Useful Post:

spleef35 (02-27-2015)