Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Abortions - Pro Choice or Pro Life?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    83 times
    Time Online
    13d 20h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    They would have nothing to be ASHAMED unless they knew what they were doing is wrong. Like i said previously, that teenage girl should have thought about the consequences before hand.
    That is the problem. There is nothing wrong with sex. Sex is natural and its a natural instinct that starts as soon as women begin to menstruate. The ONLY reason that its frowned down upon is because society starts to generate norms and when those norms are broken it becomes a problem.

I'm not discriminating due to race. I am simply referencing a psychology article which differentiates responses based on culture. So what if its america? Last time I checked america has its problems too. Women cannot simply leave a violent relationship, where the man controls and manipulates it. There are a lot of underlying factors that you are skipping over and it might not be as simple as the women spreading her legs.

I also think there is a difference between not receiving proper sexual education and assuming that individuals 'allows them to abort'. A proper education is needed to educate teenagers about sex. A lot of places in america and across the world don't advocate safe sex. They advocate abstinence. Abstinence doesn't work, teenagers experiment with drugs, alcohol, speeding, smoking...you name it, one or more will try it.

And about your comments about easy access to education+birth control and references on how easy it is to fix....Its not easy. Its not easy for some people to get access to the things that we take for granted. I'm not really going to delve into this because I'm pretty sure I'd break some forum rules doing so but I think you need to watch some youtube videos about women in abusive relationships, restrictive relationships, women in 3rd world countries and the laws surrounding women. Where they don't have sexual education classes nor the money or ability to access birht control. Where they don't have access to schooling or general knowledge. Where they have far too many children which they can't provide for which causes more pain for themselves and their child. ;_;

I suggest this link as well: (you need an account to see links)
    Although its a wiki article I'd say the article isn't bias like some websites are.

And what is wrong with putting an brain dead patient in the same category as an undeveloped fetus? Both are unable to function on their own. If it wasn't for hospitals a brain dead patient body would collapse within a couple of days. They are technically dead. Without a functioning brain they are just an empty shell. And yes, you don't go around 'killing them' because they are already dead. A patient in a coma is different. Whilst there are different levels of comas there are some machines that track brain waves and functions. They are living to an extent because brain function is still happening (brain is controlling breathing for example). Likewise the fetus UP UNTIL THE 21ST WEEK does not have a functioning brain, its an empty shell comprised of cells that has the POTENTIAL to be a child, just like a chicken egg has the potential to hatch into a chicken but its nothing more than that.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    65 times
    Time Online
    4d 3h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Evelsaint View Post
    I would leave it to the professionals. It depends who the woman is, If the woman is someone close to me, I will let them make the choice.

I said I would not support abortion.

Abortion is a choice.

Choosing between one life and another is a different scenario.

I will not support abortion.
    That's so biasst,
    so just because you dont know one of my best friends you would say NO KEEP IT even IF (this hasn't happened but if it did) she was dying because she got raped, on top of that she got aids from the rapist?

Everyone has a choice.
    Human rights.
    Just do what you feel is right, you dont need to listen to the magazines and comics telling you what to do.
    Live your life how you want to, if you want to get an abortion so be it, its life.
    lifes a bitch.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    3d 23h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I don't want to offend anyone but I wanted to post my ultra sound picture, I was 11 weeks and 2 days pregnant in this photo.

I personally couldn't abort this baby once I had my second ultra sound here, she clearly looked like a human, I could see her jumping around on the screen. This is my experience, I recently found out my partner of 4 years was cheating shortly after becoming pregnant, I was facing this pregnancy and parenting as a single parent from the start. I wasn't blind sided. This was just the easy stuff, when I was 13 I was diagnosed with severe kidney disease and said I would have failure in 10 years, I'm 23 now, no failure as of yet. My disease can't be cured as of yet, so I was facing losing all functioning of my kidneys before even making it into the 3rd trimester. I had an extremely hard pregnancy, twice weekly appointments (sometimes 3) and over 30 ultrasounds, I was on a lot of medications, I became pre eclamptic and had gestational diabetes. I could have gotten an abortion, this was what the doctors recommended, I chose not to.

If this became illegal I would be very scared for the women that would go through many means to have it done, the backwoods clinics, coat hanger, etc. It is a choice but a very difficult decision. I was very pro choice before getting pregnant, after having a baby I look at it differently, I feel there is always adoption, government assistance to help you finish school/whatever you need to support a child, you would not believe what all is out there if you've not be in a similar position.

I watched an abortion on the ultra sound machine being performed, the baby was struggling to get away from the needle and actually dodged it a few times. It was heart breaking. Of course now I'm biased as I have a baby, I was faced with many difficulties but it was my choice to attempt having a child. Honestly, unless you have children, I'm sure most of the pro choice/and pro life opinions will change if you ever go through an unplanned pregnancy. Having a child, the overwhelming love you feel for this thing is kind of insane, I thought I would never care for anything or anyone like I do for my daughter, I read while you're pregnant your brain changes, I'm not sure what trimester though. It had said your brain shrinks in preparation of the baby, they call it "baby brain", you become forgetful but it helps you grow empathy and prepares you for the baby. I'm rambling now.

Anyways, until you're faced in a situation like this it's hard to say what you would do, sometimes it takes seeing your child for the first time to feel that love and actually be glad you didn't choose abortion or you may not give a damn. Some people aren't meant to be parents, but taking that right away from them would be worse for children, the abuse they may endure, neglect, etc. Pro choice for others, but pro life when it comes to my body.
    Last edited by Meagan; 01-03-2012 at 04:24 AM.

OOOOAAARRGGHH!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Meagan For This Useful Post:

Azn (01-03-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    6d 21h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    @(you need an account to see links)

I feel the same way, even though I'm a guy. I'm a gay guy, so chances are that unless I get a baby through surrogacy, I'll become a father from adopting. I can only imagine what it's like to look down and see a small child that resembles yourself. I don't see why people who give up the opportunity to be a loving parent to this small baby and watch him or her grow. That's why I always say that if I were a woman, I would not go through an abortion myself, but that doesn't mean other women shouldn't be given the opportunity to choose.

I stand by you with that issue. I am Pro-Choice but if it were me, I wouldn't go through with an abortion.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    1m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
    Okay so im going to guess you are putting the brain dead patient in the same category as the undeveloped fetus? If thats the case, then why don't we just kill them too? I mean its one less person living (technically not living) in this world and obviously they arent doing anything but taking up space....but thats wrong to do, we dont go around killing brain dead people so why does that mean we can go around killing fetuses? Undeveloped fetus or not, conscious or not its still human. Coma patients, i consider them brain dead, they cant do anything, so why dont we just unplug them all then. A human is a human, no matter in size.
    I have a lot to say on this topic, but right now I just want to point this out - we do unplug patients who are brain dead. If a person is damaged beyond possible recovery - that is to say, their brain is unable to keep the body alive by itself, their brain is unresponsive and the patient needs machines in order to keep them alive - then a doctor will tell this to the family, and the family makes the decision (unless the patient has specified in a will that should this occur they either do or do not want to be kept alive artificially, or they named someone in the will specifically to make that decision).

Just as a family can choose if they will or won't pull the plug, based on a variety of factors such as the chance of recovery, what kind of life the person would have if they did wake up, and if they can afford to keep the person alive via machines, I believe a woman should be able to choose if she will or won't have a baby, often based on similar factors.

I'll come back and post more later, but basically my position is that if you do not support abortion, then don't have one. Honestly the decision of whether or not you should keep a baby is extremely intimate and personal, and every woman will have different things to consider if they become pregnant unexpectedly. It's not a black and white issue. Being pro-choice is not being anti-life - we're not saying that if you get pregnant you have to go out and have an abortion, too bad. Pro-choice is simply believing that women should have the option of terminating a pregnancy in a safe, effective and timely manner, and that decision is up to them, their partner and possibly their doctor.

I can respect people who believe abortions are morally wrong, but I cannot respect people who attempt to take away the choice of terminating a pregnancy from others based on their own opinion. I wouldn't force a woman to have an abortion against her will, so why should someone be allowed to force me to have a child against my will?

There is a wealth of scientific evidence on infant development in regards to sensory perception, pain, etc., and medical regulations have been put in place that reflect this evidence - abortions past a certain number of weeks are not allowed unless the mother's life is in danger. Beyond that we're in the realm of personal morality, religion, "souls", etc, and if you believe one thing you cannot expect the person next to you to believe the same, nor can you truly state that they're wrong or immoral for their beliefs, even if you think so.

And just for the record, 99% of the pictures you find on the internet if you look up abortion are either fake or mislabeled. Some anti-choice groups (I won't call them pro-life) have even been known to steal stillborn babies from hospitals and say it's an aborted fetus. I'm not joking. So be weary of what you find; unless it's from a reliable source like a medical journal or reputed organization, chances are it isn't real.

Finally, facts on abortion that might surprise you:

Last edited by Kyra; 01-04-2012 at 06:21 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kyra For This Useful Post:

alskdjfhg (01-04-2012),Chi (01-04-2012),Mouse (01-07-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    51m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I feel that in some cases such as rape, if it be by anyone that she should have the option if she wants to get rid of the baby. I understand that some people can get past that and raise the baby. But you have to wonder everytime she looks at the child if shes thinking. " Wow I was raped." No child should have to grow up with that, or feel like that in anyway. I know some people can move past it, but I couldn't I mean its a constant reminder of what happen to you. With time it might get better but there is no way to know for sure. It should really be the Womans choice if she wants to or not. Its her body she can do what she likes with it, I don't think its right if the parents get to decide what happens to their daughter just cause shes like 12-16 Like come on.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    17d 22h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    The only problem I think would have the Pro-choice is the overuse. I think you should be able to choice wheter to gave birth or not ONLY when you get raped or somehow abused; but girls of about 16 who only think about using their girly stuff before christmas eve should face their responsability.

In less words: Pro Life and pro Choice are the best option, depending of the situation. (Abuse = Choice, "Self Abuse" = life)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    7d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesedmoga View Post
    The only problem I think would have the Pro-choice is the overuse. I think you should be able to choice wheter to gave birth or not ONLY when you get raped or somehow abused; but girls of about 16 who only think about using their girly stuff before christmas eve should face their responsability.

In less words: Pro Life and pro Choice are the best option, depending of the situation. (Abuse = Choice, "Self Abuse" = life)
    Ok, I disagree with the principles of that argument but let's stick with it for a moment. The conviction rate for rape in the UK is horrendously low(only 6.5% even of those reported resulted in rape convictions and Govt estimates that 95% aren't even reported (you need an account to see links)). It is similar in the USA. So if you're going to say that abortion should only be allowed in the case of rape, how are you going to decide when a rape has happened? Based on convictions? Most rapes don't come anywhere near conviction. Based on reporting? Most rapes aren't even reported. Would you require 'proof' of rape in order to permit an abortion? And of what would that 'proof' consist?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoSunset For This Useful Post:

Mouse (01-07-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    31 times
    Time Online
    4d 12h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoSunset View Post
    Ok, I disagree with the principles of that argument but let's stick with it for a moment. The conviction rate for rape in the UK is horrendously low(only 6.5% even of those reported resulted in rape convictions and Govt estimates that 95% aren't even reported (you need an account to see links)). It is similar in the USA. So if you're going to say that abortion should only be allowed in the case of rape, how are you going to decide when a rape has happened? Based on convictions? Most rapes don't come anywhere near conviction. Based on reporting? Most rapes aren't even reported. Would you require 'proof' of rape in order to permit an abortion? And of what would that 'proof' consist?
    I have to agree with you. I'm very pro-choice. Women should have the power over their own bodies.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    417 times
    Time Online
    11d 9h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Pro-choice. I think people should be able to decide what they want to do. If a woman gets raped and gets pregnant, she should not be forced to keep the baby as a reminder.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carrot For This Useful Post:

Ben (01-05-2012),Cara (01-05-2012)