Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Should evolution be taught in schools?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Children in elementary are too young to understand the complexity of what is really being referred to but in those later ages you can introduce things like Charles Darwin, evolution involves changes over a long period of time, we are considered primates and have primate descendents. Just the small simple concepts as to not overwhelm a young mind. Once they hit maybe grade 8 or 9 I think it is perfectly acceptable to throw in terms or concepts like genetics account for differences in species, natural selection of traits, and phylogeny. Nothing complex in detail but just more terms that have an association to evolution that a student should know. If the student wishes to know more then they should go into a high school grade biology class where they can be introduced to evolutionary biology.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 9h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I personally don't understand the debate here. I just believe children should be taught what actually happened, they should know the truth. And Evolution is what truly occured and children need to know that.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    4h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksychic View Post
    I personally don't understand the debate here. I just believe children should be taught what actually happened, they should know the truth. And Evolution is what truly occured and children need to know that.
    The debate is that evolution is not proven to be what "truly occurred." It is a very well-supported scientific theory, but there are gaps in it that have yet to be filled. I agree it should be taught, but the issue is that the exact origins of life are not 100% known.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 9h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakz View Post
    The debate is that evolution is not proven to be what "truly occurred." It is a very well-supported scientific theory, but there are gaps in it that have yet to be filled. I agree it should be taught, but the issue is that the exact origins of life are not 100% known.
    Its pretty much a fact man, and if your teaching children creationism, that is false, god did not just place you on Earth.

Children should be taught proper science.

That being said, I am a hindu and not a christian, so maybe my views are different.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    38/0
    Mentioned
    348 times
    Time Online
    13d 5h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    You can't have religion in school, why should you be able to teach the theory of evolution?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    4h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    You can't have religion in school, why should you be able to teach the theory of evolution?
    Because the theory of evolution is based on years of scientific study that utilize methods of observation that are ACCEPTED by the scientific community. Religion is based on faith, and religious believers do not use any scientific method to arrive at their claims. Therefore, religion is not science. The theory of evolution, among many other theories, are.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ksychic View Post
    Its pretty much a fact man, and if your teaching children creationism, that is false, god did not just place you on Earth.

Children should be taught proper science.

That being said, I am a hindu and not a christian, so maybe my views are different.
    I'm not a man And I agree with you, I believe the same. I'm just saying, it's not fact. It's a theory and it is not complete. I believe that it is the truth due to the overwhelming amount of evidence to support it, however, by scientific standards it is not "fact." If it were, it would not be called a theory.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    38/0
    Mentioned
    348 times
    Time Online
    13d 5h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Mmm, good call there sneakz *dumb*
    I'll sit out on this one

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    69/0
    Mentioned
    35 times
    Time Online
    1d 7h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    They have schools dedicated to religions. These schools teach about God. What if someone questions whether God exists or not? Just believe, son, just believe. Have some faith.

At least the people that teach evolution don't tell kids to just blindly believe, and not question it. The whole point of science is to attempt to prove a hypothesis wrong using tests. Evolution so far is the most widely accepted theory we have, so yeah I'm fine with it being taught.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew For This Useful Post:

Sneakz (06-11-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    1h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Considering science is a generally solid subject, it would seem almost wrong to /not/ allow students to learn about evolution. America is behind in the areas of science and math already, and adding more confusion by removing evolution from schools would cripple our world standings even more.
    Removing evolution would also insult the students that don't align with certain religious beliefs and truly believe in science.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    8m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Considering it is a widely accepted scientific theory, there is absolutely no valid excuse to exclude it from curriculum. I respect peoples religious beliefs, but come on, it's called the "theory of evolution" for a reason... it's a theory, and no one is going to try to force it down your childrens throats (unlike what some religious people do). Yes, it should be included in schools.