30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    438d 20h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by champloo View Post
    From what I see on seller sites and the boards, it's easier to make a list of things considered valuable than list every item price. 99% of it is the same price or simply subjective.

Speaking of which, anyone else hate UC "tiers"? Why does the robot jetsam (a cool-looking, rare pet) get a lower tier than shitty, ugly grey pets?
    Oh it's definitely easier to list the things that are more valuable. I wouldn't spend time listing every item haha. I have an account that had a bunch of items worth 100+ caps so I'm sure there are a lot of other valuable and semi-valuable things on there. I'm not active enough with NC to be able to pull every valuable thing at first sight though. Gonna take some time. I hate NC for this reason haha

The Uc tiers won't be going away anytime soon either I'm afraid.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    230d 9h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 35m
    Yeah. Most people on site uses /~Korolie
    Others also uses /~Rinsey

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    36 times
    Time Online
    37d 10h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    I prefer /~Korolie, /~Rinsey is a bit overvalued (not sure if it's still like this now, I haven't check it for a while)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    4d 10h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    I think a lot of the tiers are dictated by the taste of the girls who seem to dominate the site's population The robot jetsam admittedly has a "cool" look to it, but it doesn't suit the aesthetic that most players have in mind when they want a mythical, beautiful, cute, elegant, or devilishly diabolical pet. It's better for you though because that means it's easier or cheaper to obtain the pets you like ^_^
    I understand a sort of tier list existing. Pets like krawks or draiks, colors like robots and royals, all used to be extremely difficult to obtain.

But then you see a grey ixi sit several tiers above a darigan techo and go "huh?"

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    36 times
    Time Online
    37d 10h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    I understand a sort of tier list existing. Pets like krawks or draiks, colors like robots and royals, all used to be extremely difficult to obtain.

But then you see a grey ixi sit several tiers above a darigan techo and go "huh?"
    I think it's because Ixi are popular species, and more in demand than techo.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rue For This Useful Post:

Foxglove (04-12-2017)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    4d 10h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Rue View Post
    I think it's because Ixi are popular species, and more in demand than techo.
    I don't think I'm getting my point across very effectively.

Why would an economic system (and it is an economy, even if it's a trade-based one) favor personal taste over more objective measurements like rarity or expenses paid? Gold isn't more valuable than bismuth just because more people like the color better, gold has more practical use and is a more demonstrably rare rock. Not to mention pet trading already sort of operates on this logic, it's not like you can ever reasonably expect to trade your Camouflage pet for an Ice pet.

Believe me, I'm not complaining I can obtain pets I like pretty easily because they're "masculine." I just find it weird you have this cutthroat pet trading economy that suddenly tapers off into the personal tastes of some random girl.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    95 times
    Time Online
    127d 16h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    It's just supply and demand, even if something like a Darigan Techo is extremely rare and HTF, there's relatively little demand for it. People on the site who care about UCs would more likely want an UC Grey Ixi to dress up, love, and write stories for, as opposed to a Darigan Techo.

You see it on the NCC a lot, too. There are plenty of items that are incredibly rare, but nobody really cares to trade for them. So, an item that's incredibly common like Cherry Blossom Garland is worth 25-30 caps while the (seemingly considerably rarer) Doughnut Float Ring trades at only 1-2 caps. And the CBG was awarded for free every time anyone redeemed the appropriate NC card, whereas the Doughnut Float Ring required that you not only obtained the NC, but actually spent it as well.

In both cases, the higher value pet/NC item have more utility for a larger population than the rarer but less popular pet/item.
    Last edited by Foxglove; 04-12-2017 at 10:39 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxglove For This Useful Post:

Clair (04-12-2017),Rue (04-12-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    128 times
    Time Online
    64d 11h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    I don't think I'm getting my point across very effectively.

Why would an economic system (and it is an economy, even if it's a trade-based one) favor personal taste over more objective measurements like rarity or expenses paid? Gold isn't more valuable than bismuth just because more people like the color better, gold has more practical use and is a more demonstrably rare rock. Not to mention pet trading already sort of operates on this logic, it's not like you can ever reasonably expect to trade your Camouflage pet for an Ice pet.

Believe me, I'm not complaining I can obtain pets I like pretty easily because they're "masculine." I just find it weird you have this cutthroat pet trading economy that suddenly tapers off into the personal tastes of some random girl.
    It's the basic concept of supply and demand.

You are right in stating that a pet like a robot jetsam might be very rare (supply is low), however there is extremely low DEMAND for the robot jetsam. It's not a random girl it's the many girls that make up the majority of the neopets userbase and especially majority of the PC all wanting the cute/pretty pets. Even if there are a lot of UC grey ixis, they are universally loved and coveted so they will always be in demand. Even if there is only 1 Robot Jetsam UFT you'd be hard pressed to find any of the typical PCers or NCCers wanting it to keep. People overoffer for things they like, which makes the in demand pets rise in value even if they are more abundant.

Supply and demand are both powerful driving forces. All UCs are pretty rare, some are just in way higher demand, which outshines that there are a few more of them around. Demand also effects the supply as people tend to hold onto UC grey ixis and not want to trade them, whereas a robot jetsam will often be UFT as people attempt to trade up for one of the more attractive (to them!) pets and it just bounces from person to person.

Edit: Oops Foxglove beat me to it Yeah it's true about NC as well!! Like some items inflate so much cause they are pretty and everyone wants it. Like there are a lot of stunning too but it's valued so high and is hard to trade for because no one wants to part with it! xD

(you need an account to see links)

Thank you to Monsters for this beautiful gif. <3 (It died with tinypic, press F)
    @Andrew 15!!!!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clair For This Useful Post:

Aska (04-13-2017),Foxglove (04-12-2017),Rue (04-12-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    If more people just posted what they thought their items were worth that they are trading in a public place, making a NC value guide that is uniform and averaged from a large amount of inputs.

Doesn't matter if the list's are complete or just what you have in your TL. Could merge the data and compare the values from there.

It seems like people take a lot of time to make their trade lists and everything, so adding respective cap value's to their items that are displayed should be nothing short of effortless.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    95 times
    Time Online
    127d 16h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    NC trading can honestly be so complicated and frustrating, it would definitely be a more streamlined process if everyone posted their own subjective valuations of their own items as well as the items they're seeking, but even still the quality of items wouldn't exactly be accounted for. Someone could value 2 items at 35 caps each and be eager to trade one but not the other item (case in point: Ghostly Orbs, easier to find vs Eventide Mountains BG, nearly impossible to find).