Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There's not a book section.. so.. Anyone read fantasy?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    4d 18h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

Wink There's not a book section.. so.. Anyone read fantasy?

*my favorite series of books has a tv show so I guess it could fit here?*

As the title asks, does anyone read fantasy books? I know the age range around this site probably varies a lot, so it's a pretty broad question with broad interpretations. I read many of the popular young adult fiction novels when I was younger but I've really moved on to fantasy epics. Just looking to have a discussion and learn of good books! I have all the books from A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) but have yet to pick them up also books from the Dune series but haven't read any. 2nd and Charles bookstore has like 2$ used books it's great!

Notable Books I've Read

Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind (tv show isn't that great compared to the books..)
    Lord of the Rings series by J.R.R. Tolkien
    Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini (movie sucked so baddd)
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
    The Hunger Games (HATED IT AND THE MOVIE)

When I was younger:
    Most all of the Warriors Series by Erin Hunter
    A lot of the Redwall books
    The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke
    Inkheart 1 & 2 by Cornelia Funke (movie sucked)

Notable Books I Won't Read
    Harry Potter (read half of one didn't like it)
    Twilight (I'm a dude.. gf has made me watch the movies.. not good acting i.m.o)
    Rest of the Hunger Games

---How to EASILY get free unactive unreg neopets accounts!!---
    (you need an account to see links)
    ---How to find certain pets and accounts using Google!---

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 8h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    I read Inheritance and loved that series.. I read all the Harry Potter books, when I was younger too.
    Over the past year I've been reading a lot of I guesss they would be like super hero books? Idk how to describe them. But one series that I like (and I'm waiting for the next book) is the Blackjack series.
    Im also reading the Sword of Truth series right now. I saw it mentioned on here awhile ago, looked it up and was hooked. I got part way through the first book and realized I had already seen the series on Netflix. But you're right, the books are so much better. I'm currently on the temple of the winds!
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    381 times
    Time Online
    51d 10h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind and Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini I've read and adored. I own them all and frequently re-read them when bored.

I enjoyed the Legend of the Seeker series when I watched it but I agree that the books were far better. The movie Eragon sucked so freaking bad but at least Saphira looked like I thought she would in the book.

Have you tried A Song of Fire and Ice by George R.R. Martin? Those books are beautifully written, have epic storylines and every single character is relateable in some way. The tv series isn't bad at all either!

I'm reading Mortal Instruments right now and so far the books are decent but could be so much better. I like description. The movie sucked balls, though. All they cared about was eye candy and not the actual storyline, ugh!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    4d 18h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    I read Inheritance and loved that series.. I read all the Harry Potter books, when I was younger too.
    Over the past year I've been reading a lot of I guesss they would be like super hero books? Idk how to describe them. But one series that I like (and I'm waiting for the next book) is the Blackjack series.
    Im also reading the Sword of Truth series right now. I saw it mentioned on here awhile ago, looked it up and was hooked. I got part way through the first book and realized I had already seen the series on Netflix. But you're right, the books are so much better. I'm currently on the temple of the winds!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyric View Post
    Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind and Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini I've read and adored. I own them all and frequently re-read them when bored.

I enjoyed the Legend of the Seeker series when I watched it but I agree that the books were far better. The movie Eragon sucked so freaking bad but at least Saphira looked like I thought she would in the book.

Have you tried A Song of Fire and Ice by George R.R. Martin? Those books are beautifully written, have epic storylines and every single character is relateable in some way. The tv series isn't bad at all either!

I'm reading Mortal Instruments right now and so far the books are decent but could be so much better. I like description. The movie sucked balls, though. All they cared about was eye candy and not the actual storyline, ugh!
    SOT is so good. I didn't discover the TV series until after I had read about half the books so I didn't want to start it.. I watched 2 episodes and couldn't deal with the differences. I read 1-3 twice and then when I bought the rest I read them straight through all the way to The Third Kingdom. Got my sister hooked on them too! I haven't met one person who doesn't like them.

I literally finished all the available books in the SOT two weeks ago, and my uncle gave me the Song of Ice and Fire books and I just haven't found the time to start. Too distracted by other things lol. I tend to read a lot during school but it's break now

and Eragon was so terrible I almost asked for a refund.. is the Mortal Instruments series good? I've actually never met anyone who read them

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 8h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    I love the SoT series, I can't stop reading it. I read one of the books in just a few days. I had nothing else to do so I just kinda laid around and read all day haha. I have a kindle so I just carry it around with me, I love it! I also love how it makes recommendations for me in the book store.

I think I have heard of The Mortal Instruments, but haven't read it. It sounds familiar. I think it was a recommendation I saw when I bought my next SoT book.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    381 times
    Time Online
    51d 10h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    @(you need an account to see links)
    Mortal Instruments is 'alright'. It's not an epic series like SoT or Fire & Ice or even Inheritance Cycle, it's just alright until I find another incredibly awesome fantasy arch I can dive into.

Let me put it this way, after I finished SoT I wanted to write in that same world, role-playing wise online, the same happened with Fire and Ice and especially Inheritance. Mortal Instruments is not inspiring at all! I want to finish the books quickly just to say I've read them and move on.

If you need relief from boredom and are willing to jump into a fantastic world designed to thrill and inspire, please pick up the first book of Fire & Ice (Game of Thrones) and enjoy! xD

I sound like a salesperson. If it gets you to read the books then I'm okay with that.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    4d 18h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I love the SoT series, I can't stop reading it. I read one of the books in just a few days. I had nothing else to do so I just kinda laid around and read all day haha. I have a kindle so I just carry it around with me, I love it! I also love how it makes recommendations for me in the book store.

I think I have heard of The Mortal Instruments, but haven't read it. It sounds familiar. I think it was a recommendation I saw when I bought my next SoT book.
    If you ever feel that it gets boring (One of those books does.. Temple, Soul, or Faith.. Can't remember lol.) it gets good again. The last 3 books are really just one long book and it's pretty intense. Plus the First Confessor and then the two newest books are good. Best series I've read yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyric View Post
    @(you need an account to see links)
    Mortal Instruments is 'alright'. It's not an epic series like SoT or Fire & Ice or even Inheritance Cycle, it's just alright until I find another incredibly awesome fantasy arch I can dive into.

Let me put it this way, after I finished SoT I wanted to write in that same world, role-playing wise online, the same happened with Fire and Ice and especially Inheritance. Mortal Instruments is not inspiring at all! I want to finish the books quickly just to say I've read them and move on.

If you need relief from boredom and are willing to jump into a fantastic world designed to thrill and inspire, please pick up the first book of Fire & Ice (Game of Thrones) and enjoy! xD

I sound like a salesperson. If it gets you to read the books then I'm okay with that.
    Hahah sometimes you have to be a salesperson! It's good to have others to talk to when you are indulged in some form of media. You want them to feel what you feel and think what you think and have educated discussions about it. I'm most likely going to start them once the New Year comes in. I also bought as a Christmas Present books from the Shannara series I think it is.. So eventually those will come my way too. I just wish the next SOT would ocme out

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Darigan For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (12-23-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 8h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Well in on the one where

It get a little boring at times, but there's always a chapter that eventually gets me back into it!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    4d 18h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Well in on the one where

It get a little boring at times, but there's always a chapter that eventually gets me back into it!
    is that the one where
    if so i hated that one

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 8h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonToRuleNeopia View Post
    is that the one where
    if so i hated that one
    Ive never heard of the anders before, so that must be a different one! I guess I have a great book to look forward to eh? Haha