Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How long do you think Neopets will last?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/0
    Mentioned
    42 times
    Time Online
    19d N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    It all depends on what JumpStart brings to the table. So far they've made some good and bad decisions, but I think as they get used to having a website such as Neopets things will get better. Right now things are a little rocky with the lag but it will pass and I'm sure JumpStart will make enough profit to start making commercials and such to bring in more users.

Even if it dies under JumpStart they will most likely just sell it again and that company could bring the site to life once more. Leadership is all that matters.
    Yeah I honestly hope Jumpstart does well, they seem to be trying at least And I agree with you about leadership, the direction the site takes will ultimately lead it to failure or success. But if Jumpstart does get Neopets up on it's feet, where do you think they will advertise? With Viacom they had access to Nickelodeon and their viewership (+ all the other companies they own), but Jumpstart is more of an an academic-based company rather than entertainment.
    Last edited by Wormjaw; 12-30-2014 at 08:23 PM. Reason: my net is on the fritz, why this

thank yew lyrichord for my userbar/avatar! <3

nya

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wormjaw For This Useful Post:

Cheese (12-30-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/0
    Mentioned
    42 times
    Time Online
    19d N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by resJUN View Post
    I feel like it's a sinking ship, just like it has been for the past year or two?

I don't quite understand what you said, how JumpStart is doing a decent job at moving it towards a more mature/older audience, or maybe I misread that.
    The fucking FILTERS on that website are insane and they're driving me to quit. "Scrapes" was blocked because I apparently meant to type "rape," I can't fucking update my NC trade page because of the "weed" in "Seaweed Curtains" (smh TNT...), and apparently "Skills" is bad now. There goes a word I use in applications often lol.
    Someone got a board deleted because of a word that was blocked by filters, and the post didn't even go through. ???

I'm quite sick of all these limitations, but I've been on Neo for 14 years and I can't let go no matter how much I want to. ;( I want it to last forever, but >50% of the damn site needs to be changed and that's just insane and impossible.
    Jumpstart has been trying to update things that are out-dated (such as trade prices, auctions, etc) and Snarkie did say herself (before she quit) that they were trying to focus on the older audience more.

And not sure, but those filters have been there..? Not a thing that Jumpstart implemented? But sometimes the filters make funny accidents xD One time I was trying to use the let it snow avatar image on a petpage but it blocked it because it read the image url from "letitsnow.gif" to "le tits now.gif" LOOOL

nya

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormjaw For This Useful Post:

Cheese (12-30-2014),cibomatto (12-31-2014),resJUN (12-30-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    7d 13h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiday View Post
    Jumpstart has been trying to update things that are out-dated (such as trade prices, auctions, etc) and Snarkie did say herself (before she quit) that they were trying to focus on the older audience more.

And not sure, but those filters have been there..? Not a thing that Jumpstart implemented? But sometimes the filters make funny accidents xD One time I was trying to use the let it snow avatar image on a petpage but it blocked it because it read the image url from "letitsnow.gif" to "le tits now.gif" LOOOL
    Ahh, I must have missed that. WELL I can only hope!! Haha.

I don't know about the filters tho, it seems like they've gotten way harsher. Like, they let me type "scrapes," "skills," and "seaweed" before, but sometime within the last few months they decided that they weren't okay. Like, I'm really sick of the filters because "rape," "kill," and "weed" in the contexts the original words were in wouldn't make any sense, but I mean this is Neopets we're talking about so ???

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    23d 18h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    They did mention it in the editorial that the players online counter is not working correctly but they have other supposedly more important things to update. I kinda want to know the real number of players online though.

I don't know about the other words, but I know for sure that the word skill has been filtered since way before Jumpstart. It always frustrates me when they don't tell me which word triggered the filter, I hate to look through my code/text to see what was wrong.

But still, I don't know why I still keep playing though. My neofriends whom I used to frequently talk to have long gone and I'm amused when I saw the "None of your Neofriends are currently online. You must be lonely. " message on the sidebar xD

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    243 times
    Time Online
    45d 4h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    I wonder how much JumpStart paid for neopets, lol.

I don't think they would have bought it unless:
    1) neopets was selling for really cheap and they were like, what the heck why not
    2) they thought they could revive the site and turn a profit

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy View Post
    I wonder how much JumpStart paid for neopets, lol.

I don't think they would have bought it unless:
    1) neopets was selling for really cheap and they were like, what the heck why not
    2) they thought they could revive the site and turn a profit
    From what i've read they didnt buy it at all. It was a part of contract work. Payment for jumpstart working with viacom in future films etc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to |2eap For This Useful Post:

Psellia (06-23-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/0
    Mentioned
    42 times
    Time Online
    19d N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by |2eap View Post
    From what i've read they didnt buy it at all. It was a part of contract work. Payment for jumpstart working with viacom in future films etc.
    Huh.. I didn't know that! I wonder what they're planning to do.

nya

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    If it ever came to a point where we at clraik could pitch in and buy it, I'd be reluctant to keep playing. I'd assume the off site buying/selling market would crash. But, I know 99% of the people here know what most users want as far as the site goes, so it would be nice to see those changes implemented.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    47 times
    Time Online
    16d 14h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I'm a teacher and I've mentioned Neopets to my kids...and they look at me like I'm crazy. Like what is that????

They all love Minecraft thought ^_^

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ClaireBear For This Useful Post:

cibomatto (12-31-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    27d 21h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    My unsolicited two cents here... I used to play another game as well as neopets through my childhood and I took the same turn as NP has - it's still around, it's changed a LOT and not in a good way. Mostly caters to young kids - but it's still around. Some nostalgic oldies stuck around.

I think as long as there's an Internet presence of children, Neopets (and my other game I loved in my elementary years, Horseland) they will exist to some degree.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Birdtail For This Useful Post:

Wormjaw (01-01-2015)