View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is simply a personal choice.

29 74.36%
  • It is a moral choice.

10 25.64%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Veganism: Personal or moral choice?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    7d 23h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Whispers View Post

�Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow-creatures is amusing in itself.� ― J.A. Froude
    Some animals actually do kill for sport xD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    1d 14h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post

Yeah don't most domesticated cats do this?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rissa For This Useful Post:

Slytherin (03-16-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    3h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Humans are herbivores and animal products are literally killing us, but it's still a personal choice. Not all people have that choice though, processed foods and meat are really cheap and vegetables can be very expensive if that's all you're eating. Ideally we would have a campaign like the anti-smoking one where everyone knows how dangerous animal products are, they are not advertised, and there is only a relatively small group of people that still eat them.

Also people tend to get mad when I say that humans are herbivores, so here's a scientist explaining all that stuff: (you need an account to see links) (Highly suggest you watch it, it's really interesting.)
    If you're too lazy to watch it's basically like this: Cats are carnivores but they can still eat grain and stuff, though biologically they need meat to survive and are made for eating meat. Humans aren't, we kind of just adapted into eating meat but it's actually really really bad for us. Meat causes cancer at an alarming rate, also obesity, high blood pressure, heart problems, lots of stuff you don't want to have. (Plus those animals are horribly tortured.)

BTW I don't judge people who eat meat, there are so many factors that make it hard to stop. I myself am vegetarian because I don't make enough money to go full vegan healthily.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m

Veganism: Personal or moral choice?

Quote Originally Posted by pastel View Post
    Humans are herbivores and animal products are literally killing us, but it's still a personal choice. Not all people have that choice though, processed foods and meat are really cheap and vegetables can be very expensive if that's all you're eating. Ideally we would have a campaign like the anti-smoking one where everyone knows how dangerous animal products are, they are not advertised, and there is only a relatively small group of people that still eat them.

Also people tend to get mad when I say that humans are herbivores, so here's a scientist explaining all that stuff: (you need an account to see links) (Highly suggest you watch it, it's really interesting.)
    If you're too lazy to watch it's basically like this: Cats are carnivores but they can still eat grain and stuff, though biologically they need meat to survive and are made for eating meat. Humans aren't, we kind of just adapted into eating meat but it's actually really really bad for us. Meat causes cancer at an alarming rate, also obesity, high blood pressure, heart problems, lots of stuff you don't want to have. (Plus those animals are horribly tortured.)

BTW I don't judge people who eat meat, there are so many factors that make it hard to stop. I myself am vegetarian because I don't make enough money to go full vegan healthily.
    Humans don't actually know this for sure as we come from multiple humanoid races that came together to form current humans though thousands of years of breeding.

Found in ancient bones from over 300,000+ years old we had starts to form our current teeth that we have now. Just google search it!

Humans believe what we want hence religion as a whole for example of believing in what we want! No offence there just a example of the human need to believe in something!

Last edited by Naked Gamer; 04-13-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    39/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I think that it's a personal choice. I know people who have wanted to become vegans in order to live a healthier lifestyle. Sometimes they are really successful and other times they get really sick from the lack or nutrients and all that and end up going back to eating how they were before.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    3d 6h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post
    Dolphins are the first ones to come to mind. They kill other species for no determinable reason and frequently partake in infanticide and rape. No, humans are not the only species to be cruel to one another, but keep philosophizing.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    3h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by scarmans View Post
    Humans don't actually know this for sure as we come from multiple humanoid races that came together to form current humans though thousands of years of breeding.

Found in ancient bones from over 300,000+ years old we had starts to form our current teeth that we have now. Just google search it!

Humans believe what we want hence religion as a whole for example of believing in what we want! No offence there just a example of the human need to believe in something!

True true. Although lots of herbivores have sharp canines, like gorillas and hippos. Also the whole meat causing cancer thing is pretty alarming.

Quote Originally Posted by borken View Post
    Dolphins are the first ones to come to mind. They kill other species for no determinable reason and frequently partake in infanticide and rape. No, humans are not the only species to be cruel to one another, but keep philosophizing.
    I heard that a while ago, dolphins fucking suck.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    60 times
    Time Online
    19d 16h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Become a level 5 vegan.
    Don't eat anything with a shadow.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    4d 21h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I think it's a personal choice, mostly because people saying it's a moral choice kind of feels like they're saying I have no morals about what I put into my body because I choose to eat meat. I care about how animals are cared for before they're slaughtered. I do my absolute best to limit my intake of meat (in fact, I very rarely eat red meat, mostly just chicken and fish) and buy local, organic, hormone-free or free-range whenever possible. People can make decisions about what they eat for their own PERSONAL moral reasons, but I don't think that someone should make an assumption about MY morals because of what I eat.

I really hate getting into the whole "humans are supposed to herbivores / omnivores" debate because you can ALWAYS find evidence that supports your side of the argument. Like, although gorillas are mainly vegetarians, chimpanzees, with whom we share 96% (I believe) of our DNA with, are omnivores. But we also share 50% of our DNA with bananas, so I don't know why sharing DNA with animals who eat a certain way matters.

From the beginning, humans have been hunters & gatherers. While it is possible to be on a vegan / vegetarian diet and get whatever they're lacking with vitamins & supplements like @(you need an account to see links) said, I can't help but feel that that kind of confirms my belief that people are supposed to eat meat. You shouldn't HAVE to take vitamins & supplements, you SHOULD be getting all your nutrients from the foods you're eating. I'm aware that it is entirely possible to have a vegan / vegetarian diet that doesn't require you to take vitamins & supplements, from the vegans & vegetarians I know, it is FAR too common.

And let's be real, meat doesn't cause cancer. Processed meat, as well as things like soda, refined white sugar, microwave popcorn and non-organic, non-pesticide free fruits & vegetables, along with a serious lack of physical activity & your basic genetics can increase your risk of developing cancer. My family has a real serious history with various forms of cancer, so I always get super defensive when people say that x, y, or z causes cancer. There's A LOT of factors that go in to why one person develops cancer and another doesn't.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    10d 14h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Chickens are fed antibiotics is to prevent horrible death from disease which very, very quickly spreads right through the entire population and kills them all. They're very necessary. Growth hormones have never, ever, ever been given to chickens in Australia. We also have strict regulations on how many chickens are allowed in a certain space, there is more than enough room for them to move around in the barns.

Obviously chickens who live in your backyard have a better quality of life than those raised in a barn, but they aren't subjected to horrific torture or anything.

Australia does have top tier meat tho. That's why KFC in North America is disgusting and KFC in Australia is good.